Big Photo Contest - 5 Winners Plus Grand Prize!

11 years 5 months ago - 11 years 5 months ago #256675 by PhotographyTalk
It’s time to get another contest off the ground! This contest is going to be exciting… WHY? Let’s look at the prizes that are being given away:

5 Winners each getting the following 4 prizes:

1. Copy of volume 1 PhotographyTalk “Photographer Awareness” 50 page coffee table book with one of your photos displayed with your details! (Sponsored by VioVio)
2. One of your photos will be in the next “Photographer Awareness” Video!
3. A one-year Premium subscription to ProShow Web! See details HERE .
4. Lowepro Pro Messenger AW Series camera bag!

And here’s where it gets exciting. One of the 5 winners will be selected to win a Tamron 18-270mm lens HERE !
This is a PHOTO CONTEST that will run from October 17, 2012 till November 17, 2012.
To participate in this contest all you need to do is upload your best photos into this thread. There are no limits, upload as many as you wish!

1. For each photo please tell us about the shot, the gear you used, etc. If your photo is selected this information will be displayed with your photo. {Scroll down to see sample post on how to insert your photos}

Please understand that by posting your photos in this thread, that if your photo(s) are selected and once the video goes live and book printed, these photos can't be removed from the video or printed “Photographer Awareness” book. The video will be posted on PhotographyTalk.com, You Tube and Vimeo for the world to see. For those that would like a copy of “Photographer Awareness” book, copies would be for sale from our friends with VioVio.

Winners will be posted here November 26, 2012. Winners will have 7 days to respond to this thread, because image sizes are different for the printed book, a link will be provided for you to upload your winning photo(s) to. If winner fails to upload their winning photos within the 7 days, a replacement "wildcard" winner will be selected to replace them.

*Photos will be judged by PhotographyTalk & VioVio* *Winners are responsible for shipping & handling of their prizes*

One simple rule: the photos you post in here for consideration must be YOUR photos. Oh and photos need to be at least 1200 pixels on the longest edge.

Attachments:
11 years 5 months ago - 11 years 5 months ago #256679 by Alex
EXAMPLE OF HOW YOUR POST SHOULD LOOK: {Instructions}

{Give some details on the photo}
This photo was taken at the sunset at the Oceanside Pier in San Diego, CA. I used a Nikon D800 with 24-70mm lens focused at 30mm and a 38 sec exposure. Lately I've been photographing piers along the California coast line.

{Insert the photo... look below the post box to attach PHOTO... the click on "Insert"}

Thank you for making PhotographyTalk.com your photography community of choice.
Photo Comments
Attachments:
11 years 5 months ago - 11 years 5 months ago #256680 by Stealthy Ninja
Dramatic Clouds:

Multiple shots taken at 50mm combined to produce this image of Hong Kong harbour. The dramatic clouds and bright blue sky dominate.
Camera: D3s
Lens: Nikon 24-70 2.8G
Focal Length: 50mm combined
F/Stop: f/11 most likely
Shutter Speed: No idea, can't remember

Shipwreck - Fraser Island 1

While traveling on the worlds largest sand island (Fraser Island - Queensland, Australia) we came across this shipwreck. Seeking a different angle I got low and in the water to combine stormy seas with the imposing presence of the wreck. This is the results.
Camera: 5D mark II
Lens: Canon 16-35 2.8L II
Focal Length: 16mm

Shipwreck - Fraser Island 2

This photo is more an attempt at utilizing layers than anything else. I want to have layers of sand, wreck, sea, sky moving from foreground to background. The dramatic and stormy sky juxtaposed with the scattered wreck just adds to the drama of the shot.
Camera: 5D mark II
Lens: Canon 16-35 2.8L II
Focal Length: 16mm

Hong Kong from the Peak, on a rainy day.

This photo is multiple photos combined. 50mm shots in an almost 180º arch. The less than ideal weather called for creative processing and I think the black and white adds a drama to the piece that works.
Camera: D3s
Lens: Nikon 24-70 2.8
Focal Length: 50mm combined

Great Wall of China - Winter

Taken in the middle of winter, the sky had high wispy clouds only available at that time. The afternoon sun adds dramatic shadows on the wall as well. The main challenge with this shot was shooting it at a time when no one was walking past as the great wall is a very busy place.
Camera: Canon 40D
Lens: Canon 17-55 2.8 IS
Focal Length: 17mm or so
F/Stop: f/8 most likely

Zig-Zag wave goodbye fish.

Taken on a boat in high seas. This shot was taken off the shore of the Sai Kung Geopark. We hired a boat to go here and get this shot among others.
Camera: Canon 5D mark II
Lens: Canon 200mm 2.8L
Focal Length: 200mm
F/Stop: f/8 most likely
Shutter Speed: 1/1000 (I remember setting it at this)

Risky bike ride among Trams.

The meat/goods delivery people who ride bikes in Hong Kong risk their lives every day dodging trams. Luckily the trams are about the same speed as a bicycle so they can live in relative harmony. I was sitting on a corner with my tripod low and ready for this shot. I saw the man riding towards me and timed it the best I could. This is the result.
Camera: Nikon D3sI
Lens: Nikon 14-24 2.8G
Focal Length: 22mm
F/Stop: f/2.8
ISO: 6400
Shutter Speed: 1/125 (I remember setting it at this)

Note: None of my pictures (except the tram one) have EXIF data intact, so the setting data is based on my memory. If I win anything these photos are available to admin without the watermark.
11 years 5 months ago - 11 years 5 months ago #256681 by Stealthy Ninja
And now for something different. Here's some BIF shots. This was my first time doing BIF. I was using a Nikon D800 and 70-200 2.8 VR II with x1.7 extender. Taken in Malaysia from a chartered boat.

Never mind me, I'm just picking up some lunch.

He was coming right at me, I had to shoot!
Camera: Nikon D800
Lens: Nikon 70-200 2.8G VRII + x1.7 extender
Focal Length: 340mm
F/Stop: f/8
Shutter Speed: 1/1000 (approx... I can't quite remember)

A study in movement and speed.

I love the way this just stretches from one side of the frame to the other. The sense of movement and speed is just crazy!

I'm outta here bro!

The spray of water this bird left behind as he heads off into the distance draws me into it's wondrous midst like a siren on the rock.... etc.
Attachments:
11 years 5 months ago - 11 years 5 months ago #256693 by moliamor
camera minolta maxxum d5
lens rokkor 50mm f 1.7

fstop 14

spedd : 200
iso :100

mexico df en la mañana

Attachments:
11 years 5 months ago #256694 by Nikami
This photo of a Peacock was taken in Knowsley Safari Park in 2007. I was using a Kodak Z650. f/3.3 1/125 ISO-80

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leilanee
11 years 5 months ago #256695 by moliamor
minolta maxxum d5
lens: rokkor 50mm f1.7

fstop 10

sped shuter : 1/100s

mi gente en las calles

11 years 5 months ago #256696 by moliamor
minolta maxxum d5
lens: rokkor 50mm f1.7

fstop 10

sped shuter : 1/100s

mi gente en las calles

Attachments:
11 years 5 months ago #256697 by Nikami

This is a photo of the Mostyn Fun Ship which is a rusting landmark in North Wales. This was taken with a Nikon D50 with an 18-55mm lens. F/11 1/200 ISO 400.

Attachments:
11 years 5 months ago #256698 by moliamor
camera maxxum d5
lens ; rokkor 50mm f1.7
f stop f5

sped 1/100s
iso 100

iluciones

Attachments:
11 years 5 months ago #256699 by moliamor
maxxum D5

lens rokkor 50mm f1.7
fstop 4.5

sped 1/200s

mi ciudad

11 years 5 months ago #256700 by McBeth Photography
At first I was calling this "Walk Toward The Light," but lately for October I have been calling this "The Bridge At Sleepy Hollow." I have been reading the Legend Of Sleepy Hollow on my breaks at work and I think that this shot was inspired by the book. I can just imagine Ichabod Crane fleeing the Headless Horseman across the bridge.

It was taken with available light, street lamps, one warm light and one cool light (behind the camera). The cool light behind the camera was casting an overpowering blue cast in the foreground so I had to turn down the blue and aqua luminance and saturation levels in Lightroom 4. I also used Topaz Adjust 5 to pop the details too. All the work was done in Lightroom 4.

NIkon D200 - Nikkor-N 35mm f/1.4 - Vanguard Alta-pro 263 tripod
f8 - 200 ISO - 30 second exposure

It is what it is.
Attachments:
11 years 5 months ago #256701 by moliamor
maxxum D5

lens rokkor 50mm f1.7
fstop 4.5

sped 1/200s

mi ciudad

Attachments:
11 years 5 months ago - 11 years 5 months ago #256703 by rysha

A rarely visited part of Kuala Lumpur Central. Stiched with a few 4 different pictures. Exilim Ex-z80. Photoshoped for the contrast

Taken at the top floor of KLCC's shopping mall. Photoshoped for the contrast Exilim Ex-Z80.

Attachments:
11 years 5 months ago - 11 years 5 months ago #256704 by nasiff
One afternoon, walking in Brooklyn, I ended up finding this interesting spot.
The view of Manhattan's Financial District.
I stayed there for hours and luckily I had my DSLR and a old wide angle lens that I would attach to my camera to try to get a nice image.
The challenge? I didn't have a tripod so I had to pile rocks until I got the desired high.

Camera: Canon 550d (Rebel T2i)
Lens: Nikkor 20mm f/1:4 at f22
30secs - ISO 100

"One worker, two workers"
I captured this image walking in Chelsea, NYC.
I was waiting for the light to cross the street when I saw this guy up there.
He was really cool about it, as you can see.

Camera: Canon 550D (Rebel T2i)
Lens: Sigma 17-70mm at 63mm
1/800 f4 ISO 100

Attachments:

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024