Photo editing programs

12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #106081 by kbmccallie
I have a question that I hope you can help me with. I started out using Picnik a year ago when I began a flickr account. Since then I have looked at many photo editing tools that offer so much more than picnik. I photograph a little bit of everything, however my favorite are nature photos, to include macros. I have a Nikon D3000 and shoot in manual mode. I try to adjust my settings in the camera before I take the photo, however as you all probably know....sometimes you need help. I have recently started taking portraits and find that I need even more help. I have an account with SmugMug so all files have to be converted to jpeg before they can be uploaded to that program.

WHAT I NEED IS A PHOTO EDITING TOOL FOR DUMMIES!!! I have read and watched tutorials till I can't look at anymore. I'm not one to do a lot of "playing with the pixels" but would like something easy to use. My new laptop came with Adobe Elements Basic 9, but I'm just not happy with it. I don't want to spend a whole lot of money on an editing program, but know that I need something I can work with. I have been shooting in jpeg but am now switching to raw.

Any ideas?? If I don't respond to you "in a timely manner" it's because I am cleaning the house....been putting it off. However, I will get back with you!

Thank you!!!!!

12 years 8 months ago #106087 by Rob pix4u2
Try PICASA 3 by google, it's easy to use, it's free( another advantage ) and if I can learn it without much trouble the it can't be too bad

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

12 years 8 months ago #106095 by Johnnie
Photoshop Elements is a very good program, takes a little time learning but a very good program. Another is Corel Paintshop Photo Pro, it will give you everything and then some that Photoshop Elements lacks.

Free Ones: Paint.net and Gimp. A little learning curve but excellent in the editing arena.

Good luck with your choice, with anything it does take some patience and persistence to learn.

12 years 8 months ago #106111 by Shadowfixer1
Invest your time into learning Elements. It will be worth it. If you don't want to spend the effort in learning Elements or some similarly powerful program, then I wouldn't bother shooting RAW. Adjust your settings in camera to maximize image quality and shoot jpg. I would suggest Capture NX2, but I'm not sure if you would like it or not. Download a trial version and test it out.
12 years 8 months ago #106147 by effron

Shadowfixer1 wrote: Invest your time into learning Elements. It will be worth it..

+1, its a fine editing program.............;)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago #106177 by KCook
FastStone Image Viewer and Windows Live Photo Gallery are both streamlined for easy use. But I agree with the other posts, Elements is well worth learning.

Kelly Cook

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

12 years 8 months ago #106187 by Nikonjan

kbmccallie wrote: I have a question that I hope you can help me with. I started out using Picnik a year ago when I began a flickr account. Since then I have looked at many photo editing tools that offer so much more than picnik. I photograph a little bit of everything, however my favorite are nature photos, to include macros. I have a Nikon D3000 and shoot in manual mode. I try to adjust my settings in the camera before I take the photo, however as you all probably know....sometimes you need help. I have recently started taking portraits and find that I need even more help. I have an account with SmugMug so all files have to be converted to jpeg before they can be uploaded to that program.

WHAT I NEED IS A PHOTO EDITING TOOL FOR DUMMIES!!! I have read and watched tutorials till I can't look at anymore. I'm not one to do a lot of "playing with the pixels" but would like something easy to use. My new laptop came with Adobe Elements Basic 9, but I'm just not happy with it. I don't want to spend a whole lot of money on an editing program, but know that I need something I can work with. I have been shooting in jpeg but am now switching to raw.

Any ideas?? If I don't respond to you "in a timely manner" it's because I am cleaning the house....been putting it off. However, I will get back with you!

Thank you!!!!!

Didn't your camera come with an editing program like Capture NX? I know my Nikon did, I don't use it though, I use Photoshop CS4. If you want a good program to fix flaws on people in portraits, you might try Portrait Professional, It's not very expensive. The tools I use most in PS are clone,patch,dodge and burn tools, Cropping also. levels, contrast, saturation controls. Or you can spend a little money for all the effects that will do most of this it's self and go with OnOne Phototools.

www.betterphoto.com?nikonjan
12 years 8 months ago #106197 by Baydream

Rob pix4u2 wrote: Try PICASA 3 by google, it's easy to use, it's free( another advantage ) and if I can learn it without much trouble the it can't be too bad

:agree: Picasa is as "easy as pie" and has online help and tutorials that are complete and concise. I taught 3 class sessions to seniors last winter and the only couple that had any trouble didn't know how to load their photos from their camera. Oh well.
www.picasa.com

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago #106303 by Maria21
Elements is a strong editing program...My suggestion would be to learn the Element's you already have and to buy the Visual Quick Start Guide to Elements. These books are organized & easy to read. They include pictures of the actual dialog boxes you will encounter. I think you will surprised at how quickly you will pick up on it.

Zerfing's Photographic Imaging
12 years 8 months ago #106503 by Joves
I too will say Elements and Gimp, they are well worth learning. And once you do they will be indispensable.

12 years 8 months ago #106521 by robbie

Nikonjan wrote:

kbmccallie wrote: I have a question that I hope you can help me with. I started out using Picnik a year ago when I began a flickr account. Since then I have looked at many photo editing tools that offer so much more than picnik. I photograph a little bit of everything, however my favorite are nature photos, to include macros. I have a Nikon D3000 and shoot in manual mode. I try to adjust my settings in the camera before I take the photo, however as you all probably know....sometimes you need help. I have recently started taking portraits and find that I need even more help. I have an account with SmugMug so all files have to be converted to jpeg before they can be uploaded to that program.

Thank you!!!!!

Didn't your camera come with an editing program like Capture NX? I know my Nikon did, I don't use it though, I use Photoshop CS4. If you want a good program to fix flaws on people in portraits, you might try Portrait Professional, It's not very expensive. The tools I use most in PS are clone,patch,dodge and burn tools, Cropping also. levels, contrast, saturation controls. Or you can spend a little money for all the effects that will do most of this it's self and go with OnOne Phototools.

Nikon stop giving Capture NX for free but Capture NX2 is a great program but I don`t like it!
Photo Tools I love and used regularly but you must have the full version of Photoshop...it`s a plugin
without the 'stand alone' feature.
If you want to improve then you should get to the level that your work demands...you don`t have to learn the program ONLY the parts that you will use.I uses CS5 but uses mostly my plugins.
Buy a good tutorial book and when you want to do something just look it up.

12 years 8 months ago #106864 by Rob pix4u2
I think the OP was looking for ease of use not a recommendation for the program she doesn't like already.

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024