RAW vs Jpeg (All in one thread)

11 years 1 month ago #275166 by Joves

Jelinekjava415 wrote: . The raw is easier to edit with and the jpeg has very minimal editing that you can do. So I would say raw is the better way to go cause even if you do edit the raw you will ALWAYS have the original no matter what. :lurk:

Yes RAW is the better for post processing. But you are incorrect on Jpegs. You can pre-edit your photos when you know how your cameras picture controls work. This means getting things like your White Balance right, deciding how much saturation you like, or how little saturation. Jpegs as far as post processing are limited. If you get your Jpegs very close, or right in camera, then you can apply those settings to the RAW file as well. I too shoot both and use most of my Jpegs. As you said having the RAW is the original file this is always a good thing. If I did not consider my jpegs as not being usable, then I would not bother shooting it all.

10 years 8 months ago #289604 by Stealthy Ninja

slytoon wrote: Jpeg-

- Sharper image than RAW
- Compressed on camera
- Higher in contrast than RAW
- Smaller file size than RAW

RAW-

- Not as sharp
- lower contrast
- higher in dynamic range than jpeg

This is utter BS.

raw isn't less sharp etc. it's just waiting to be sharpened. Jpegs are just processed raw files.
10 years 7 months ago #292926 by mr9a
I also prefer to shoot in raw alot more room to play around with in photoshop or whatever.

Alo the photos taken in raw just feels more satisfying :toocrazy:

Success is only determined by the amount of "want" you have inside you, and to remind yourself that you CAN!
10 years 7 months ago #293414 by Shaun
It is not an either/or, it is both. Most DSLR have the option of shooting both anyway. Memories are so cheap today, and the camera processors are fast, it is not an issue anymore. Even the most die hard RAW shooters will admit that they often use the automatic/default setting of their image processor often, which is essentially very similar to what the camera would have done. Why not save the time in those cases and just use the ones that the camera processed? Of course if you are shooting a bride for a formal wedding photo, lighting her against a window, wedding dress with intricate patterns, you will want to use RAW and do multiple exposure bracketing at that!

10 years 6 months ago #297437 by vyo
I always shoot RAW because it allows me to retrieve more information and details that sometimes can not capture when shooting.

10 years 5 months ago #304897 by KenStephens
I shot over 20,000 photos on film, and made the transition to digital. For five years or so, I shot only in jpgs. I was post-processing most of my jpgs anyway, so I tried RAW, and was never again satisfied with going straight to jpg.

10 years 5 months ago #307487 by GeordieP
Most of the time, I shoot in jpeg because I'm lazy and don't want to spend ages on each image, particularly if I'm out for the day and take hundreds of shots. I shoot in RAW now and again for special images only.

10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #307573 by Stealthy Ninja

GeordieP wrote: Most of the time, I shoot in jpeg because I'm lazy and don't want to spend ages on each image, particularly if I'm out for the day and take hundreds of shots. I shoot in RAW now and again for special images only.

No offense, but with lightroom and similar programs this isn't really an issue at all. Just import and you've got them all organised. Then export to jpeg as needed.

I shoot thousands of RAW photos each shoot and it takes me only a few hours to edit them all (because I need to edit them).

You can set up lightroom/aperture to process your files the way you want them. It's basically the same as shooting jpeg as far as processing time goes and you have a lot more room to fix any problems you may have missed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tfmstudios
10 years 4 months ago #317717 by devekmaga
RAW is like film before it was developed.

RAW images need to be "developed" using software to get the most out of.... or, to create something that never happened, yet, with RAW file and all the light and data the sensor picked up, you can actually create a different reality.

10 years 2 months ago #339205 by Ale Cacciatore
Gents, 

Is well explained what is , how it does works, the raw file, although many people doesn't know how to handle these information by editing software, my question is: How do you handle, when, you have a single 72 Mb raw and after post processing is 1.3 Gb??? is your Pc capable or heavy duty enough , to support this kind of data traffic?

Alessio.

10 years 2 months ago #347223 by fotobygoodyear
I look at it like this,if you are taking a picture of a bucket of water with raw you get the whole bucket with jpeg you get the surface. It depends on how much of the image you want to capture, Raw captures the most if you want the whole enchilada you shoot with Raw,..

10 years 1 month ago #349403 by effron

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
10 years 3 weeks ago #363151 by Tfmstudios
WHen you shoot digital the sensor and processor translate the light information into the colored pixels that make up the pictures.
RAW files however are the information that is not be converted to color information. This means that when editing the picture you are changing the light data rather than altering colors. This gives many more options in editing, and in my opinion makes many basic edits quicker to do.

9 years 11 months ago - 9 years 11 months ago #372287 by ginaSnaps
Hi. I just bought a Canon t3i and am shooting in RAW, as I've heard it's better in post-processing and have found that to be the case myself. I use Gimp and like what was posted before, find that it automatically converts my raw files to JPG and I edit my files that way.  I use the software that came with the camera to do some of the processing before batching it to Gimp... My question is: Do any of you think I should still download a raw software to use with Gimp?
Is there anything out there that is free, if I should? I can't presently afford to buy any Adobe software.  But I hope to get them at some point... :)

9 years 10 months ago #381449 by Raymond II
I hope this questions comes out right.  Have you noticed when it comes to camera technology we are always hearing about new ISO limits, more mega this and mega that, mirrorless and so forth.  Then you have the constant back and forth from JPEG and Raw users.  

So with all this commotion towards improvements, has JPEG technology improved over the years?  Do you think JPEG files will ever replace Raw files?  

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024