RAW vs Jpeg (All in one thread)

9 years 10 months ago #381460 by garyrhook
Um, no?

The fact that JPGs are, by design, lossy immediately dismisses them has having any potential to do so. We don't like throwing away data.

Besides, the JPG algorithm isn't improving at all; it's set in concrete. And starting with (arguably) better data doesn't change how it works. It can't improve.

Photo Comments
9 years 10 months ago #381522 by Ira Weber
I thought there was an update on JPEG quality last year? 

Photo Comments
9 years 10 months ago #381544 by hghlndr6

Ira Weber wrote: I thought there was an update on JPEG quality last year? 

There was.   www.slrlounge.com/jpeg-gets-major-update-now-rival-raw-tiff

But it doesn't change things.  JPEG is still lossy.  I want all the data that my camera captures.
9 years 10 months ago #381545 by Leilanee
Oh god not this again

9 years 10 months ago #381546 by hghlndr6
It's never gonna stop! ;)
9 years 10 months ago #381547 by garyrhook

hghlndr6 wrote:

But it doesn't change things.  JPEG is still lossy.  I want all the data that my camera captures.

I'll take "Worthless Articles" for $100, Alex.

The first photo, showing a RAW image next to a JPG, is supposed to impress us? Only those that don't understand what they're looking at. And the second comparing a PS-produced JPG to a camera-produced JPG shows that The RAW starting point produces a superior image on every count. "Rival RAW and TIFF"? I don't think so.

Photo Comments
9 years 10 months ago #381548 by Scotty
Why god, why?

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
9 years 10 months ago #381549 by Hassner

Scotty wrote: Why god, why?

Because Jpg has an inferiority complex and will always challenge it's big brother, RAW.

This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
No one kicks up there feet next to the water cooler better than this person.  Top poster - LoungeLounge Guru
Photo Comments
9 years 10 months ago #381550 by garyrhook

Because, apparently, it's considered impolite to suggest that the OP go and actually research the issue before posting questions that have been addressed before, repeatedly, almost ad nauseum.

It continues to amaze me that anyone would choose to not do even the least bit of homework before posting any question at all. I mean, really, are search engines that hard to use? So we take the question at face value and address it. Even if it's the 2nd (or 3rd or 4th) verse of a very familiar song. Since digital bits never really go away, perhaps this will actually benefit someone else, someday. Maybe.

Or not.

Photo Comments
9 years 10 months ago #381555 by Scotty

garyrhook wrote:

Because, apparently, it's considered impolite to suggest that the OP go and actually research the issue before posting questions that have been addressed before, repeatedly, almost ad nauseum.

It continues to amaze me that anyone would choose to not do even the least bit of homework before posting any question at all. I mean, really, are search engines that hard to use? So we take the question at face value and address it. Even if it's the 2nd (or 3rd or 4th) verse of a very familiar song. Since digital bits never really go away, perhaps this will actually benefit someone else, someday. Maybe.

Or not.

If everyone just used google, what would we talk about :O

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
9 years 10 months ago #381567 by KCook

Hassner wrote:

Because Jpg has an inferiority complex and will always challenge it's big brother, RAW.

We have a WINNER! :kmonst:

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

9 years 10 months ago #381593 by Stealthy Ninja
My question would be, how do you pronounce "GIF"?
9 years 10 months ago #383705 by Oahu Photo
Honestly I feel if you are willing to take the time to edit your photos than you should always shoot in raw but if you're one to just want a good photo and you don't want to edit anything than shoot in Jpeg and understand your cameras setting. Make sure you have a proper WB, ISO, Shutter speed, Picture control/style. Your camera is an awesome computer and if you adjust it correctly then your photos will come out great. 

I shoot in RAW myself but I will tell you that after I get home from a vacation and I go through all of my files, sometimes 1,000s I very side tracked with editing all of them and sometimes it will be months later when I actually show them. So if you shoot in RAW don't procrastinate or else the next thing you know your going on another trip before you even finished editing your last trips photos. This is also where the RAW/JPEG choice comes in but then your just even more so planning to procrastinate. 

Everyone is correct with saying you have more control and manipulation but just ask yourself first, do I want to work for these shots after I take them or do I just want to take them.
9 years 10 months ago #384118 by william_cpa

garyrhook wrote:

hghlndr6 wrote:

I'll take "Worthless Articles" for $100, Alex.

The first photo, showing a RAW image next to a JPG, is supposed to impress us? Only those that don't understand what they're looking at. And the second comparing a PS-produced JPG to a camera-produced JPG shows that The RAW starting point produces a superior image on every count. "Rival RAW and TIFF"? I don't think so.

The jpeg 9.1 format being talked about on that site is not being used in the photo examples. It is not available. It is supposed to rival RAW if it becomes adopted widely because it has 12 bit color rather than the normal 8 bit and it can be lossless.

Curiously, RAW is also lossless compression (Nikon once described it as 'visually lossless' :pinch: ) so the 'benefits' over RAW could only really be in the universal aspect of the jpeg format which would then be virtually equivalent to a TIFF file but smaller. As per the announcement, the universal adoption is currently nil
9 years 10 months ago #384204 by VegasRage
I can't believe this is even a topic, if JPEG 9.1 lives up to it's name then you will likely see a firmware update for your camera come out. Until then it's RAW.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024