Signs of a camera sensor going bad? 2 years 9 months ago #151752

I just got a call from a buddy of mine who has a not to old Canon 7D that he uses A LOT. He estimates the camera has nearly 70,000 photos on it. Any way he was just telling me that some of the images are getting black lines going through them. And was asking me if I knew what this might be. I was guessing but thought his sensor might be going out with that many shots taken with the camera. What do you think?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Signs of a camera sensor going bad? 2 years 9 months ago #151763

More than likely he is using flash above sync. But, it could also be a transfer error.

Use a card reader to upload with.

:)
Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
"Every artist, was once an amateur"
Last Edit: 2 years 9 months ago by MLKstudios.

Re: Signs of a camera sensor going bad? 2 years 9 months ago #151768

No, he's not using a flash. Apparently these lines are finely spaced apart and going vertical.

Re: Signs of a camera sensor going bad? 2 years 9 months ago #151785

Well he needs to do a process of elimination. First he needs to shoot several photos under ideal lighting and see if the lines are consistent. Then he needs to change out his CF/SD card and see if it shows up on the second card. If it does then something is wrong with the camera, if it only shows on one card then he has the answer.

Re: Signs of a camera sensor going bad? 2 years 9 months ago #152256

Camera should be good till something like 100,000 cycles

Re: Signs of a camera sensor going bad? 2 years 9 months ago #152260

They rate shutters with a "mean time before failure" rating, which is often between 100K and 300K. There is no reason a chip should go bad though.

What has been mentioned above are all possibilities. Corrupt cards, transfer errors, or some sort of glitch in the electronics.

What Joves suggested is the best approach. Keep narrowing the problem down till you find out what is causing it.

eta Ask him if he's done a FORMAT on the card recently.
Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
"Every artist, was once an amateur"
Last Edit: 2 years 9 months ago by MLKstudios.