Is Peter Lik's photography considered HDR?

12 years 3 weeks ago #216209 by Office Guy
I was just look at Peter Lik's photos and love his work. Are these from a single exposure or are these HDR shots? I would love to know his post processing work flow. Anyone know what editing software he uses?

Photo Comments
12 years 3 weeks ago #216210 by crystal
As far as I know, they are not HDR. Peter Lik is just that good. :banana:
12 years 3 weeks ago #216215 by Office Guy
I wonder what software he uses then, his colors always pop so much. Or would that be considered a trade secret?

Photo Comments
12 years 3 weeks ago #216235 by mattmoran
And here I always assumed he made wet prints from film.

-Matt
12 years 3 weeks ago - 12 years 3 weeks ago #216238 by Scotty

mattmoran wrote: And here I always assumed he made wet prints from film.

He shoots Linhof Pano cams with Phase One Digital backs. Also shoots Mamiya.

His editors use photoshop. Not HDR, exposure blending...lots of dodge and burning.

Also the reason his shots look ridiculous in person is the printing process he does (cost thousands).

His editing technique isn't really hard. I could teach you how to do it in an hour.

His locations, vision and marketing is what puts him over the top.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
12 years 3 weeks ago #216246 by Office Guy
I didn't know he has editors that work for him. I assumed he did all the work him self?

Photo Comments
12 years 3 weeks ago #216249 by mattmoran

Scotty wrote:

His editors use photoshop. Not HDR, exposure blending...lots of dodge and burning.

Also the reason his shots look ridiculous in person is the printing process he does (cost thousands).

His editing technique isn't really hard. I could teach you how to do it in an hour.

That's interesting. When I visited one of his galleries they didn't mention digital at all. Must be part of that genius marketing.

I also noticed they pay a lot of attention to the lighting in the display of the print. I guess if you are going to take out a second mortgage to buy one of his prints you might as well buy some daylight balanced lights to go with the print.

-Matt
12 years 3 weeks ago #216255 by Scotty

mattmoran wrote:

Scotty wrote:

That's interesting. When I visited one of his galleries they didn't mention digital at all. Must be part of that genius marketing.

I also noticed they pay a lot of attention to the lighting in the display of the print. I guess if you are going to take out a second mortgage to buy one of his prints you might as well buy some daylight balanced lights to go with the print.

Watch From The Edge - With Peter Lik.

You can see him using digital and chimping on his Mamiya.

Photo Comments
12 years 3 weeks ago #216256 by Scotty

Office Guy wrote: I didn't know he has editors that work for him. I assumed he did all the work him self?

He has a team.

Photo Comments
12 years 2 weeks ago #216376 by Wyrick Photography

Scotty wrote:

Office Guy wrote: I didn't know he has editors that work for him. I assumed he did all the work him self?

He has a team.

Still, must be nice!

Canon 5d Mark II • Canon 24-105mm F/4.0 • Canon 135mm F/2.0 • Canon 50mm F/1.8 • Tamron 28-75mm F/2.8 • Canon 580ex ii
Photo Comments
12 years 2 weeks ago #216764 by Chansky

Scotty wrote:

Really hope I don't be slammed for this, but....

He DOES use HDR, I found that out from the Phase One (digital camera he's using) guy who's helped him in the past actually do it. So HDR it is!

My biggest problem with this guy is he has no integrity and flat out lies, point blank, about what he does. It's been so well documented, the lies, I'm surprised he's not in jail - in my world it's called FRAUD. If that's what constitutes 'great marketing', I don't want any part of it.

12 years 2 weeks ago #216793 by Scotty

Chansky wrote:

Scotty wrote:

Really hope I don't be slammed for this, but....

He DOES use HDR, I found that out from the Phase One (digital camera he's using) guy who's helped him in the past actually do it. So HDR it is!

My biggest problem with this guy is he has no integrity and flat out lies, point blank, about what he does. It's been so well documented, the lies, I'm surprised he's not in jail - in my world it's called FRAUD. If that's what constitutes 'great marketing', I don't want any part of it.

1. You need to learn the difference between bracketing shots and using software to bring out the extended range, and just doing good editing.

Research Luminosity masking, exposure blending, and Dodge/Burning. After you'll do this, you'll realize you aren't making sense in any way, shape or form.

2. He doesn't have to tell you anything. This isn't a trial, it's a photography fine art business.

You sound insane.

Photo Comments
12 years 2 weeks ago #216799 by Stealthy Ninja
Who cares, so long as they look good.
12 years 2 weeks ago #216835 by icepics
Harder to tell how good a photographer is when the editing is that extensive. If the viewer is noticing the processing more than the photo or wondering how much processing was done etc. it seems to take away from the overall effect of the image.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 2 weeks ago #216840 by Scotty

icepics wrote: Harder to tell how good a photographer is when the editing is that extensive. If the viewer is noticing the processing more than the photo or wondering how much processing was done etc. it seems to take away from the overall effect of the image.

Only people that usually dont understand good editing ask about his editing right away. Most people that are keen on photography want to know why his work is so good.

I mean ansel adams put more hours in the darkroom editing than Lik does. So that statement is kind of cliche sharon.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024