Have you hear this before...

11 years 9 months ago #238995 by Augustin
A real photographer doesn't crop a photo? :blink: I'm just putting around online today and I found a photographers website talking about cropping as if it's a four letter word. He also went on saying that cropping is cheating. :blink:

I might live in a bubble from time to time, but this can't be the general conscientious?

Photo Comments
11 years 9 months ago #239002 by aldyn
While I'm sure that even the best photographers out there DO crop at least sometimes, I would agree that it would be prefereable to frame your composition properly in your view finder and not on your computer monitor after the fact. Every time you crop you lose data - and while this is becoming less relevant as the megapixel count increases - why waste your sensor on extraneous stuff that you're just going to throw away?

11 years 9 months ago #239003 by Joves
No it is not the consensus at all. Photos have been cropped since the start of photography.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Angela-M
11 years 9 months ago #239036 by Ruby Grace

Joves wrote: No it is not the consensus at all. Photos have been cropped since the start of photography.

:agree:

Nearly every photographer I know crops images

Canon EOS 5D Mark II, 17-40mmL, 24-105mmL, 100-400mmL, 300mm f/4L IS, Sigma 12-24mm, 430EX, Extension tubes
Photo Comments
11 years 9 months ago #239074 by John37
Not being a pro, I can safely say a "pro" photographer will do what it takes to get the shot.

"The most endangered species? The honest man!"
11 years 9 months ago #239095 by effron

Augustin wrote: A real photographer doesn't crop a photo? :blink: I'm just putting around online today and I found a photographers website talking about cropping as if it's a four letter word. He also went on saying that cropping is cheating. :blink:

Balderdash.....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: Angela-M
11 years 9 months ago - 11 years 9 months ago #239110 by Henry Peach

Augustin wrote: A real photographer doesn't crop a photo?

...cropping is cheating.

Then the majority of famous photographers haven't been real photographers and were cheaters. :) It's fine for a photographer to decide on rules they are going to work by, but to disparage the rest of us for not adopting those same rules is just silly. Run away from anyone who wants to shackle your creativity to their limitations.

Spend a moment considering how many 5x7 ,8x10, 11x14, and 16x20 prints have been made from 35mm film shots. All of those must have been crops, as 35mm aspect ratio is 2:3, and makes 5x7.5, 8x12, 11x16.5, and 16x24 prints when uncropped. Look in newspapers today and yesterday. How many of the photos are 2:3 aspect ratio? Almost none.

We all like big, high quality enlargements. Taking advantage of as much of the sensor or film as possible is a very good idea, particularly with small formats like 35mm and APS-C. For much of the 20th century 35mm film wasn't so hot, and it barely passed muster uncropped, but medium and large format photographers have always enjoyed enough extra enlargement quality to be able to crop as needed.

I tend to stick with the aspect ratio of the camera I'm using, and I worry that's limiting. If I were painting I'd choose the best aspect ratio for the piece. Photographers should too. Why should I be restricted to a rectangle shape decided by the manufacturers? In my own work I consider cropping to be breaking out of the box, and I don't think I do it enough!

I also like stitching multiple exposures to make panos and squares. That's sort of the opposite of cropping. Also cheating I'm sure! ;)

Hand holding or using a tripod I still often need to straighten photos. Whether in the darkroom or Photoshop I'm going to crop it straight. Being unable to get 100% straight photos in-camera may be darn shameful, but I'm not giving up photography because of it. :lol:

Sometimes there are technical issues that require cropping to resolve. When using a wide angle lens there is often significant distortion near the edges. If I leave a bit of room to crop I can fix the lens distortion in Photoshop. Am I cheating? I say they cheated me when they sold me a lens that couldn't see as good as my eye!

I usually try to get the crop right in-camera, but if I need to crop later to improve the photo I've got no problems doing it. When I'm shooting 35mm film or <10mp digital I don't like to crop much due to quality issues with large prints. If I'm shooting medium format or 4x5 film or 12mp+ digital I am much less concerned with it, and will crop away. With a 21mp DSLR I can crop perpendicular to the length (make a horizontal out of a vert, or vice versa), which seems like a pretty radical crop to me, and it's still a 9mp image. That will make a decent large print.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shutter Buddies, Angela-M
11 years 9 months ago #239129 by KCook

Henry Peach wrote:

Augustin wrote: A real photographer doesn't crop a photo?

...cropping is cheating.

Then the majority of famous photographers haven't been real photographers and were cheaters. :) It's fine for a photographer to decide on rules they are going to work by, but to disparage the rest of us for not adopting those same rules is just silly. Run away from anyone who wants to shackle your creativity to their limitations.

Yup. The ultimate purist would be shooting glass plates with a pinhole camera and making only contact prints. No "flash powder" allowed of course.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

11 years 9 months ago #239237 by EOS Man
Sounds like someone who is still in the dark ages :rofl:

5D Mark II | 50mm f/1.4 EX | 24-70mm f/2.8L | 70-200mm f/2.8L | 430EX
Photo Comments
11 years 9 months ago #239324 by Baydream
Anyone who says "Never" has no concept of reality.
I try to crop the composition as tight as possible but realize that different printing ratios require cropping. To allow the maximum flexibility in prints, a bit of extra space is necessary.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024