Are you more photographer than artist or more artist than photographer?

11 years 8 months ago #244385 by Ruby Grace
Have you thought about this before? Photographers are people that get out there and snap off shots right? Artist go out there and create art with their camera and more thought gets put into what the finished photo will look like. More planning would go into the artist's photo.

Does that make sense? It all made sense to me while I was driving earlier. I would say I was criticizing myself and categorized myself more as a photographer, but would like to work on becoming more of a artist with my camera. Boy I hope this makes sense to some of you, because this is getting deep! Creating more artwork out of each shot taken rather than just a photo.

Feel free to jump in!

Canon EOS 5D Mark II, 17-40mmL, 24-105mmL, 100-400mmL, 300mm f/4L IS, Sigma 12-24mm, 430EX, Extension tubes
Photo Comments
11 years 8 months ago #244403 by KCook
Erm, by your definition I am a photographer, not an artist. However, I would quibble with the "planning" requirement. There is such a thing as "found art". Which is mostly what photojournalism is about, and to some degree, the rest of photography. For more deep thoughts -

thediscerningphotographer.com/2010/02/02...ph-the-things-we-do/

neilvn.com/tangents/2010/02/03/alive-for-365-05/

sallywakelin.wordpress.com/category/photography/

shutterfinger.typepad.com/shutterfinger/...stvisualization.html

visionarywild.com/2011/10/08/photographing-with-purpose/

Kelly Cook

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

11 years 8 months ago #244420 by Joves
I am both as Kelly said. I do plan my shots and make the appropriate adjustments to try and get the effect I want, so I guess you would define that as the art side, but in the end I am still just shooting a photo.

11 years 8 months ago #244426 by Rob pix4u2
Shooting sports makes me a photojournalist. Hence a photographer. Photography is an art.

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

Attachments:
11 years 8 months ago #244467 by Vahrenkamp
+1 on photographer

Photo Comments
11 years 8 months ago #244468 by latnem
I'm just lucky enough to be there to capture & share what I see ;)

11 years 8 months ago #244474 by Stealthy Ninja
Art photography is just normal photography with some art BS attached to it.

I just shoot be best looking pictures I can (which hopefully don't suck too much).
11 years 8 months ago #244478 by bhowdy
Along the lines of other comments .... I think many people with cameras are "picture takers" ...... As you develop skills, discover what you like I think you become much more of a photographer. I do predominately wildlife photography .... so staging a shot is near impossible ... but you learn how to better compose an image, look for the best light, an unusual perspective, etc. I think this makes a "photographer" much more of an artist at that point.

I feel that many hdr and other post processing effects result in an image that is more artistic than photographic .... to each his/her own tastes.

As for Rob's sports / photojournalism photos .... the man is an artist!

Bob Howdeshell

"If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera" ~ Lewis Hine

11 years 8 months ago #244479 by bhowdy

Stealthy Ninja wrote: Art photography is just normal photography with some art BS attached to it.

I just shoot be best looking pictures I can (which hopefully don't suck too much).

:agree: Fully agree with the Ninja on this one!

Bob Howdeshell

"If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera" ~ Lewis Hine

11 years 8 months ago #244489 by Tamgerine
I'm a businessman who happens to be a decent photographer.
11 years 8 months ago #244551 by Foxy Girl
I'm more of a photographer, but do admire the artistic side of photography

Photo Comments
11 years 8 months ago #244556 by chasrich
Creating an artistic image takes a lot of different paradigms coming together. Proper lighting and exposure, focus and composition are the basics. Telling a story or providing an interesting subject is also important components. With luck and lots of practice you won't have anything too terribly wrong. As for me - I try hard to be both.

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
11 years 8 months ago #244568 by latnem
Many of my photo's are the result of my "playing" with the different features on my cameras combined with a natural artist talent. The "eye" has been recently, uhm, developed to the point, my cell phone camera (Samsun pic's) can be used to capture it. I'm looking forward to sharing from my Canon Rebel xTi as I start carrying it again :) I would say I'm both now.

11 years 8 months ago #244662 by Sawyer
Artistry will come with time, for now I'm just a photographer

Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM | Canon 35L | Sigma 85 1.4 | Helios 44M-6 58mm(M42) | Zeiss 50mm 1.4 (C/Y) | Canon 135L | (2) 430EX II
Photo Comments
11 years 8 months ago #244671 by mj~shutterbugg
I am an artist. My favorite medium is photography. I also love painting, installation, and mixed media. Are all my photographs art? Depends on your definition. For me- yes. I try to create beauty through my lens. It has been forever since I took a concept and illustrated it through any media.

Think Off-Center ~ George Carlin
www.mjbrennanphoto.com

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024