Formatting memory card in computer vs in camera?

11 years 5 months ago #258752 by Wild Mitch
Is there any difference if you format a card in camera vs in computer?

Photo Comments
11 years 5 months ago - 11 years 5 months ago #258757 by M-C Simard
Personally, I avoid formating my cards, because if you lose yous photos saved on your computer, you will never be able to revover them. It you just erase them from your card, there are some softwares that can recover the data lost.

To answer your question formating is formating wherever it is.
11 years 5 months ago - 11 years 5 months ago #258758 by effron
Difference? Dunno, but I believe the consensus is always format in camera....

www.digicamhelp.com/accessories/memory-c...tting-a-memory-card/

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
11 years 5 months ago #258762 by Wild Mitch

M-C Simard wrote: Personally, I avoid formating my cards, because if you lose yous photos saved on your computer, you will never be able to revover them. It you just erase them from your card, there are some softwares that can recover the data lost.

You can only retrieve photos from the last photo shoot correct? So you can't access photos deleted from card 2 months ago and the card has been filed up a few times since right?

Photo Comments
11 years 5 months ago #258765 by Darrell
Cards should always be formatted, deleting does not remove data just renames it, as far as recovering lost data as mentioned that is only possible until the card is used. I always use the camera to format even if I format on the pc I will do it again in the camera before using it....

You will not be judged as a photographer by the pictures you take, but by the pictures you show.
11 years 5 months ago #258776 by M-C Simard

Wild Mitch wrote:

M-C Simard wrote: Personally, I avoid formating my cards, because if you lose yous photos saved on your computer, you will never be able to revover them. It you just erase them from your card, there are some softwares that can recover the data lost.

You can only retrieve photos from the last photo shoot correct? So you can't access photos deleted from card 2 months ago and the card has been filed up a few times since right?

I have been able to recover photos from a longer period than two months when one of my hard drives "died", two years ago, I did not got back all of my pictures, but at least a part of it. Obviously if you tries to recover photos from a year ago, more or less depending on how many photos you took since then, it won't necessary recover them.
11 years 5 months ago #258814 by digitalpimp
In camera and be done with it ;)

Photo Comments
11 years 5 months ago #258864 by Scuba Mike
I was told to format in camera, so I've been doing it that way since.

Photo Comments
11 years 5 months ago #258866 by fbicking
I don't know the difference between in camera or computer. But I have Canon, Olympus and Panasonic cameras and all the manuals say format in camera. If that many manufactures recommend in camera formatting I am inclined to do as they request.

:banana:
11 years 5 months ago #258883 by M-C Simard
Here are a couple of links that might help you.

://.thedigitalstory/blog/2005/11/memory_cards_erase_d.html
://digital-photography-school/13-tips-for-using-and-caring-for-memory-cards
11 years 5 months ago #258886 by Joves

M-C Simard wrote:

Wild Mitch wrote:

I have been able to recover photos from a longer period than two months when one of my hard drives "died", two years ago, I did not got back all of my pictures, but at least a part of it. Obviously if you tries to recover photos from a year ago, more or less depending on how many photos you took since then, it won't necessary recover them.

But the problem with that is when you shoot another photo after deleting the photos some of the previous data is still there, which can eventually lead to corrupting your current photos at one point. Either way the previous photos become unrecoverable due to the over write. Formatting the card makes it fresh for putting new data on by recreating the file system with new directories and such. The only way to keep any photos you have shot on you memory cards, is to store them and not use them again. And I know some people who actually do this. Or you get a nice removable hard drive, and back them up on it. Backup as always should be your first line of defense in saving photos, any all other irreplaceable data. Also having a fireproof safe rated for electronic media is advisable.
As far as why to Format in camera, it does exactly what your camera wants in creating directories. Also I never delete photos in the field. The reason being is that each photo is not always the same file size, this can be due to subject matter, and various other aspects of a photo you shot. One photo could have been very data heavy, or more complex and taken more space on the card, then the next was more basic with less data. So say you are running out of, or have run out of room on the card, and see another shot you really want, if you eliminate a small file and replace it with a very large file, you can screw them both up by jamming the larger image in. The difference in data sizes is also why when you look at how many images you can still shoot does not always change, this is because sometimes what you just shot did not require as much space on the card. So always carry a spare card when your remaining shots are getting low. It is no different than carrying an extra battery to me.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Baydream, M-C Simard
11 years 5 months ago #258896 by blinden
In camera :)

--
Bryan Linden
[email protected]
www.FinestraArt.com
www.facebook.com/FinestraArt

www.lindenphoto.net
[img]images/stories/finestraart_signature.jpg

11 years 5 months ago #259027 by Conner
Count me in for in camera format

Photo Comments
11 years 5 months ago #259029 by Baydream
Since I always back up my hard drive twice before formatting cards, I probably will not lose any. One backup is in a fireproof safe (you can store off-site).
I also always format in camera. The camera knows what it needs to properly process photos. Any remnants from prior photos 1) take up space, and 2) as Ernesto said, could corrupt new photos.

Use the computer if you are going to use the card to store non-photo data or as a jump drive to take them to a processor.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
11 years 5 months ago #259142 by Henry Peach
I do it in-camera. Formatting in-camera uses uses the manufacturers software designed for the camera. I don't know that there is any problem using Windows or Mac OS, but it's easy enough to do in-camera.

As long as the files have not been written over it's usually possible to recover them whether they were deleted or the mem card formatted. I use Sandisk cards, and Sandisk was able to recommend free software that recovered all the photos on a card I accidentally formatted before I had copied the photos.

Why format instead of delete? Formatting identifies and isolates bad parts of the memory. Deleting does not, and if a file is written using a bad part the photo could be corrupted. Formatting occasionally is good memory maintenance.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024