Correct way to optimize white balance

10 years 9 months ago #285402 by Tuscany
Right now, when I go out shooting. I set my white balance to auto and then when I get to my computer will change or edit my white balance on one photo and then will sync all my changes to all my photos. Making all the photos from that batch the same in the sense of what white balance was used. I was wondering how others are optimizing their white balance with out having to go in and change in each photo?

Do you use a grey card or color passport?

Photo Comments
10 years 9 months ago #285417 by garyrhook
The downside is that, outside, light changes constantly. So your measurement is only good for so long. Using AWB is find, as long as the camera gets it right.

And that's not guaranteed.

If you use a constant white balance value, the correction will be fairly straightforward. And given a set of shots taken in a given location under consistent conditions with consistent parameters you can presume that the PP correction required for them will all be the same. As you move from spot to spot, however, you'll need to reset your WB.

I use a WhiBal card and take a shot of it at each location, then adjust in LR. This approach, for me, provides results that are superior to the camera. I usually change things up every 15 minutes or so, so I figure that's constant enough. I know keep my camera set on daylight so that, should I forget to capture the gray card, the correction will be consistent once I figure it out.

Photo Comments
10 years 9 months ago #285440 by ShutterGuy
I adjust each photo in LR because some photos look better with white balance set one way, while others need different adjustments.

Photo Comments
10 years 9 months ago #285467 by EOS Man
I'm so bad with white balance. My personal shots, I rarely use it. When I'm taking client portrait photos I'll use break out my white card. Most times for my personal shots I'll just make adjustments in ACR.

5D Mark II | 50mm f/1.4 EX | 24-70mm f/2.8L | 70-200mm f/2.8L | 430EX
Photo Comments
10 years 9 months ago #285591 by Connie K Photos
I make my changes in LR. My camera's White balance is usually always on auto

Photo Comments
10 years 9 months ago #285596 by Stealthy Ninja
Correct way to optimise white balance is in post.
10 years 9 months ago #285616 by Joves
I use the Expodisc myself. Or the Preset for sunny, unless I am above 4000ft, then I measure it. Below 4000 the light change is pretty much miniscule. I also use it for mixed lighting as well. I hate to do much post work myself.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024