Pre-visualizing your photos like Ansel Adams

10 years 8 months ago #289924 by Todd Phillips
Have you read Ansel Adams first book where he talks about pre-visualizing your photos? Ansel talks about visualization being the cornerstone and the most important factor of photography. Do you think that rule of thumb still remains today with half the photos pre-finished life is spent in Photoshop?

10 years 8 months ago #289939 by hghlndr6
Do you know how long Adams spent in the darkroom working on ONE print? Photoshop, darkroom work = same, same.

Yes, it applies.
10 years 8 months ago #289940 by John Landolfi
I think he was referring to B/W images, where previsualization is an indispensable first step. The need to not react to colors, but only to luminosity values as compositional elements is a hard- won skill for me, and it is only when I can "see" the image I think is there that I can begin to address the technical issues needed to realize it. And post processing is a part of that process, be it with film or digital media. :cheers:

Photo Comments
10 years 8 months ago #290080 by MYoung

hghlndr6 wrote: Do you know how long Adams spent in the darkroom working on ONE print? Photoshop, darkroom work = same, same.

Yes, it applies.

I'll bite, how long?

Photo Comments
10 years 8 months ago #290087 by hghlndr6

MYoung wrote:

hghlndr6 wrote: Do you know how long Adams spent in the darkroom working on ONE print? Photoshop, darkroom work = same, same.

Yes, it applies.

I'll bite, how long?

Anywhere from several hours to several days.
10 years 8 months ago #290131 by Soccer Mom

hghlndr6 wrote:

MYoung wrote:

Yes, it applies.

I'll bite, how long?

Really? Several days on the same image? :ohmy: that is a long time. I guess I don't understand how they processed film back in the day. Honestly I thought they dunked the print into the solution and just hung it up to dry, and that was it. Interesting.

Canon 7D, 18-55mm, 55-250mm, 70-200mm L f/2.8, 100mm and 17-55mm f/2.8
Photo Comments
10 years 8 months ago #290139 by cod
If you're interested, here is a detailed example of the process that goes into making a quality print in the darkroom. Ansel Adams methods were similar.

Chris O'Donoghue
Winnipeg, Canada
codonoghue.prosite.com

10 years 8 months ago #290273 by MYoung
Which is the best book by Ansel Adams?

Photo Comments
10 years 8 months ago #290371 by Joves

Soccer Mom wrote:

hghlndr6 wrote:

MYoung wrote:

Yes, it applies.

I'll bite, how long?

Really? Several days on the same image? :ohmy: that is a long time. I guess I don't understand how they processed film back in the day. Honestly I thought they dunked the print into the solution and just hung it up to dry, and that was it. Interesting.

Oh yeah you could easily spend a lot of time prepping a negative before printing it. Really depended on what you wanted from it. The only people who just exposed, dunked, and hung photos were in the movies, because they are perfect. But the actually Hollywood promo photos had teams of people dodging , scraping, and dying the negs. Those ones from the 40s that people took several days to get like that before printing. Now you can do it all in a couple of hours, or minutes in programs. Got to love that part of modern photography.

10 years 8 months ago #290469 by icepics
With B&W I usually am thinking about it before I take the picture(s), if the scene has some good contrast that I think will work well for B&W. Sometimes the weather even makes a difference, if it's hazy I may not bother to shoot B&W film that day but wait for a clear day to get better light and shadows.

I don't know if I previsualize as much as I see something that to me looks like a potential photograph, that's the best way I can explain it, I just see it.

I don't do much post processing either way, film or digital. I often don't do anything more than put the media card in my computer and look at the photos - if they look good onscreen and printed that's it; sometimes I might adjust brightness or contrast as needed.

In the darkroom I've occasionally spent a lot of time on a particular print but if I got a proper exposure and have a good quality negative, once I've determined exposure time there may not be much else to do but zap some light thru it, run the print thru the chemistry and rinse and squeegee. If I have a more dense negative I might have to keep adjusting the exposure time or do more dodging or burning (if I have a really thin negative forget it, I should have gotten a better exposure!). I like to dodge because I like to play with my vintage dodgette set but for practical purposes I wouldn't to have to try to spend hours on every photo.

I have the Ansel Adams series of three books on the Negative, the Print, and I can't think of the name of the third - but I haven't looked at them in years and keep meaning to hunt them out. I think now that I've done darkroom work they might be more meaningful. The most recent book of Adams I got was a collection of Polaroid images he had done by other photographers, as he was working with Edwin Land in the development of Polaroid cameras and technology.

Sharon
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024