Which lens is better? (BLIND TEST, HELP ME CHOOSE)

10 years 3 months ago #329853 by Frisco
First one

Nikon 18-55mm VR, Nikon 70-200mm VRII f/2.8, Nikon 50mm f/1.8, Nikon 10.5mm Fisheye, Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8, SB-700 & SB-800
Photo Comments
10 years 3 months ago #329933 by Tim Chiang
easy the first one

Photo Comments
10 years 3 months ago #329971 by garyrhook
Well, I'm not sure I"m looking at the same images as everyone else.  The 2nd (of the first set) has larger blur in the background, and her facial features are truer.  Clearly a longer lens.

In the 2nd set, I much prefer the background of the 2nd (again) as being much less defined.  I find the DoF comparable enough to the 1st of that set, but again, prefer the appearance of her face in the 2nd.  What I like to call "the geometry of the image."

Apparently less blur in bokeh is "creamier?"  I did not know that.

Photo Comments
10 years 3 months ago #329979 by Shadowfixer1

garyrhook wrote: Well, I'm not sure I"m looking at the same images as everyone else.  The 2nd (of the first set) has larger blur in the background, and her facial features are truer.  Clearly a longer lens.

In the 2nd set, I much prefer the background of the 2nd (again) as being much less defined.  I find the DoF comparable enough to the 1st of that set, but again, prefer the appearance of her face in the 2nd.  What I like to call "the geometry of the image."

The second has a larger blur? The details in the first image background are not as defined as the second. Look at the points of light. The first has much smoother edges. If you look to the right of the ladies head you see several circles in the second image where none show up in the first, thus what people call a creamier bokeh. The desired bokeh wouldn't show these circles as defined as they are. Creamier bokeh has smoother transitions which is what the first shows and not the second. I think the background of the first image is much less defined. I'm not sure what you are seeing to think the second image is "much less defined" but different people see things differently. For all I know it could be the same lens zoomed to a different focal length. It will be curious to see the answer.
10 years 3 months ago #330089 by Jim Photo
#1 first one

Photo Comments
10 years 3 months ago #330267 by MYoung
First one looks better IMO

Photo Comments
10 years 3 months ago #330269 by TySheersPhotography
Too many variables to give an opinion.

If tripod mounted and locked focus then a much easier decision.

10 years 3 months ago - 10 years 3 months ago #330271 by Stealthy Ninja

garyrhook wrote: Well, I'm not sure I"m looking at the same images as everyone else.  The 2nd (of the first set) has larger blur in the background, and her facial features are truer.  Clearly a longer lens.

Bokeh about quality of the blur (smoothness of the blur etc.), not how much there is... not sure what you mean by "larger blur". Anyway, you're entitled to your opinion on the quality of the bokeh. It's subjective.

The lenses (in the first one) are the same focal length.

2nd set aren't related, just for Scotty to see, ignore them.

Shadowfixer1 wrote: The second has a larger blur? The details in the first image background are not as defined as the second. Look at the points of light. The first has much smoother edges. If you look to the right of the ladies head you see several circles in the second image where none show up in the first, thus what people call a creamier bokeh. The desired bokeh wouldn't show these circles as defined as they are. Creamier bokeh has smoother transitions which is what the first shows and not the second. I think the background of the first image is much less defined. I'm not sure what you are seeing to think the second image is "much less defined" but different people see things differently. For all I know it could be the same lens zoomed to a different focal length. It will be curious to see the answer.

Yeh bokeh isn't about how much blur there is, it's the quality of the blur.

TySheersPhotography wrote: Too many variables to give an opinion.

If tripod mounted and locked focus then a much easier decision.

Ok cool. Wasn't really going for the scientific test chart comparison here, but thanks for your post.
10 years 3 months ago - 10 years 3 months ago #330273 by Stealthy Ninja

Stealthy Ninja wrote: This are both from when I went into a camera shop with my wife to check out a couple of lenses I want to buy.

Simply state which image is better (focus on bokeh and such, not the composition and facial expression).

A:

B:

OK time for the big reveal.

Both are Voigtländer M mount lenses (on a Sony a7). Because they're manual focus this accounts a little for the softness in the eyes. They are both shot wide open and nailing perfect focus (especially with limited time sitting in a store) was a challenge.

A = Voigtländer 35 1.2 II lens (shot at 1.2)
B = Voigtländer 35 1.4 lens (shot at 1.4)

They have differing minimum focal distances (0.5m for the 1.2 and 0.7m for the 1.4) which may accound for Gary thinking they're different focal lengths.

I wanted to attach 100% crops of the eyes (which aren't precisely the focus point) but it seems I cannot at the moment).

Anyway, here's a picture of the 40 1.4 (which is nearly exactly the same as the 35 1.4 in size) together (larger is the 1.2):

(photo from here: prosophos.com/2012/02/22/q-and-a-voigtla...kton-401-4-vs-351-2/ used for editorial purposes only)
10 years 3 months ago #330279 by One Wish
:thumbsup:

Photo Comments
10 years 3 months ago #330283 by Stealthy Ninja
BTW

A (35 1.2) costs $1,200 (USD) and is 1.03 lb (471 g)
B (35 1.4) costs $629 (USD) and is 7 oz (200g)

So A has the better bokeh and (when done right) is a bit sharper, BUT it's about double the price and over double the weight. Still for that nice bokeh it may be worth it.
10 years 3 months ago #330303 by KCook
So . . . you can just walk into a shop and find Voigtländers?  OMG, I'm definitely living in the wrong city :pinch:

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

10 years 3 months ago #330313 by Stealthy Ninja

KCook wrote: So . . . you can just walk into a shop and find Voigtländers?  OMG, I'm definitely living in the wrong city :pinch:

Kelly

I'm pretty sure the shop I was in is the Voigtländer distributor or something for Hong Kong (name of the shop is Tin Cheung).
10 years 3 months ago #330437 by Jackson Rieger
I like the smoothnes of the bokeh in the first one 

Photo Comments
10 years 3 months ago #330527 by garyrhook
Perception is a funny thing, don't you think?

Upon further examination, I'll retract my initial answer and go with the f/1.2. Very interesting. Apologies for including the 2nd set in the discussion; I see that they were irrelevant to the initial post.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024