Advice Please

10 years 2 months ago #337997 by mj~shutterbugg
I have an opportunity to photograph a fellow artisan's work.  She is a silversmith, her work is mainly jewelry.  I have studio strobes and soft boxes, but I am still getting too much highlight for my liking.

Does anyone have any tips to reduce the amount of light reflection?  As you can see the silver work is really detailed so I need to use my macro lens and end up fairly close to the subject.  Any help is appreciated.

Think Off-Center ~ George Carlin
www.mjbrennanphoto.com

10 years 2 months ago #338019 by Shadowfixer1
I would go with a cheap light tent. You only need a small one considering the size of the objects you are shooting.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mj~shutterbugg
10 years 2 months ago #338035 by David Hutnik
One stop diffusion shim with your light behind it should do the trick

Photo Comments
10 years 2 months ago #338043 by Richard Taylor
Before running out and buying anything, couldn't you try firing the flash behind a single sheet of white paper? 

Photo Comments
10 years 2 months ago #338049 by KCook
"amount of light reflection" could mean that you would like a softer light ratio, or it could mean a smaller size reflection?

A big umbrella behind the camera for fill (in addition to the softboxes) would give more control over the light ratio.  For a smaller reflection move the softboxes back (or mask them).

Kind of an expensive route, but you might also consider replacing one or both softboxes with strip lights.  Of course you can fake a strip light effect with V-flats or other flags.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

10 years 2 months ago #338079 by rmeyer7
Disclaimer: I haven't tried this so it may be useless advice... ;)

Since it's really a reflection that you're trying to reduce/eliminate, do you think a polarizer would be of any use?

10 years 2 months ago #338103 by Alex

rmeyer7 wrote: Disclaimer: I haven't tried this so it may be useless advice... ;)

Since it's really a reflection that you're trying to reduce/eliminate, do you think a polarizer would be of any use?

You bring up a good point.  By nature of what a polarizer does, you would expect this to work. 

Thank you for making PhotographyTalk.com your photography community of choice.
Photo Comments
10 years 2 months ago - 10 years 2 months ago #338105 by hghlndr6
Polarizers work great in reducing/eliminating reflections from non-metallic surfaces.  From metallic surfaces, not so much.
10 years 2 months ago #338131 by garyrhook
It's unfortunate that you just missed a Creative Live 3 day workshop on table-top photography. This was the kind of problem that they dealt with.

You need a diffuser in front of your light(s), and you can then use black cards of various sizes to block reflections you don't want; essentially forcing the diffuse light to go around things and become even more diffuse. That's the nutshell version. But it was a very good class.

+1 on a polarizer not helping here.

Photo Comments
10 years 2 months ago #338147 by mj~shutterbugg
Thanks everyone.  I love the varying tips, gives me options to play with.  I have a 3rd light, I can mount a softbox or umbrella so I will give that tip a try.  I am also going to use Gary's tip on using black cards.  I am fine with the light on the metal work, it was the large highlights on the stone that concern me.  My husband says they distract him, which means they may distract a potential buyer. 

Think Off-Center ~ George Carlin
www.mjbrennanphoto.com

10 years 2 months ago #338361 by Tim Chiang
Geez for that matter, the budget fix for this would be to use anything in your home that is clear white transparent that you can put in front of your flash.  I would even try a sheet! 

Photo Comments
10 years 2 months ago #338461 by Joves

hghlndr6 wrote: Polarizers work great in reducing/eliminating reflections from non-metallic surfaces.  From metallic surfaces, not so much.

Very true but you can somewhat control the amount of refection with it. If you want to get real inventive about it use an ND filter in front of your flash with a CP. I have used both CPs, and NDs in front of flashes, just never together.

10 years 2 months ago #338675 by Stealthy Ninja
Photoshop and lots of it. :P

You want to spread your light as wide as possible. How you do that is up to you, just make it as big a light source as you can.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024