Disadvantage of using zooms for landscapes vs wide angle lenses

10 years 4 weeks ago #361495 by KenMan
Do many of you use zooms for landscape photography?  I'm not very technical and still a novice photographer so not sure what disadvantages would there be to using a zoom vs wide angle lens.  I'm speaking anything beyond the obvious with the amount of space you are able to fit into a single frame.

Photo Comments
10 years 4 weeks ago #361579 by effron
My current favorite landscape lens is a 16-35 f/4, which is a wide zoom. Not sure what you're asking?....:unsure:

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
10 years 4 weeks ago #361617 by garyrhook
Historically primes have been considered to have better image quality when compared to zoom lenses, and rightfully so. With current lenses, however, that "gap" no longer exists, or is at least quite narrow. The issues include barrel distortion, chromatic aberration, vignetting, and of course sharpness.

If your zoom is producing images your are happy with, carry on.

Photo Comments
10 years 4 weeks ago #361723 by KCook
Primes still have the advantage for large apertures.  But so long as you are Ok with f/3.5 or so, may as well go with a zoom.  Another IQ factor is flare, when shooting up-sun.  In theory the prime will resist flare better.  But once you are shooting really near the sun, then the prime will also flare.  At that point which lens will produce more attractive flare is not predictable, depends on the specific lens.

Kelly Cook

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

10 years 4 weeks ago #361743 by DSRay
What's a 'prime'?

10 years 4 weeks ago #361749 by KCook

DSRay wrote: What's a 'prime'?

Wut yer 4x5 uses :kmonst:

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

The following user(s) said Thank You: DSRay
10 years 4 weeks ago #361827 by Jim Photo
One of my favorite lenses to use with landscapes is a 70-200mm

Photo Comments
10 years 4 weeks ago #361833 by Scotty

Jim Photo wrote: One of my favorite lenses to use with landscapes is a 70-200mm

Same.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
10 years 4 weeks ago - 10 years 4 weeks ago #361857 by garyrhook

A fixed focal-length lens. I.e. not a tele zoom. Primes do not use moving parts, therefore they can be constructed for optimal image quality. On the Nikon side of things, everyone loves the 50mm f/1.8, and the 85 f/1.4 is highly regarded.

Photo Comments
10 years 4 weeks ago #361863 by Screamin Scott
I think you meant not a zoom as a tele can be a prime (or fixed focal length lens as they used to be called)

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
10 years 4 weeks ago #361951 by Richard Taylor

Jim Photo wrote: One of my favorite lenses to use with landscapes is a 70-200mm

+1 same here

Photo Comments
10 years 4 weeks ago #362011 by garyrhook

Screamin Scott wrote: I think you meant not a zoom as a tele can be a prime (or fixed focal length lens as they used to be called)

D'oh!  Fixed it.

Photo Comments
10 years 4 weeks ago #362125 by Joe Photo Daddy
Your going to find pro's and con's to each of these, and different opinions.  Some people swear by primes, and others for zooms.  Find what works best for your style of photography.  Good glass + goals + your own style = increased chance of good photography. 

10 years 4 weeks ago #362127 by DSRay

Er... I know what a prime is, really. It was a joke, like you know, I don't own any (except those for my 4x5).

10 years 4 weeks ago #362129 by Screamin Scott
I still have & use over 50 different "prime" lenses, both MF & AF on my cameras... Not only Nikkor, but Konica, Leica, Minolta, Yashica, Helios, Pentax & others (the non Nikon ones I use on a mirrorless camera camera with adapters)... Should have put a "smiley" or LOL in the original post so we knew you were kidding...As for the OP's question, all lenses are simply tools to be used for the purposes they are best suited for. Landscapes can be shot with any lens out there, it depends on whether they want a "panoramic" type image or to isolate a distant feature...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024