Disadvantage of using zooms for landscapes vs wide angle lenses

10 years 3 weeks ago #362135 by Joe Photo Daddy

Screamin Scott wrote: I still have & use over 50 different "prime" lenses, both MF & AF on my cameras... Not only Nikkor, but Konica, Leica, Minolta, Yashica, Helios, Pentax & others (the non Nikon ones I use on a mirrorless camera camera with adapters)... Should have put a "smiley" or LOL in the original post so we knew you were kidding...As for the OP's question, all lenses are simply tools to be used for the purposes they are best suited for. Landscapes can be shot with any lens out there, it depends on whether they want a "panoramic" type image or to isolate a distant feature...

Over 50?  I'll bite, how many lenses do you have? 

10 years 3 weeks ago #362137 by Screamin Scott
OK, this picture was shot in 2008....I still have most of these lenses & have added to them too (acquired more than I sold that is). These are just my Nikkor & 3rd party Nikon mount lenses

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
10 years 3 weeks ago #362241 by Joves
Well I use whatever lens I need to get the effect I am looking for. So it could even be a long lens if need be. Some are zooms, some are primes, and then there is my fisheye for really, really wide. Zooms are great when you have limited room to work with, and cannot compose with your feet. Long lenses are good for places where you can't get to your desired subject, due to those pesky no trespassing signs, or you have something in the very distant background you want to appear closer than it is, mountains, and ridge lines as examples. Also if you want to, or have to isolate the subject because of other things you do not want in the image as well. The variable aperture is not a problem because you are not usually shooting wide open, or I hope you are not. Again it is a matter of picking the right tool that works for the image. I always carry a few lenses with me to be able to switch up as needed. 

10 years 3 weeks ago #362343 by Baydream
Depending on what part of the landscape you want to capture. Normally I use my 18-200 but to zero in on a specific feature, I might switch to the 100-400. Too many people simply assume that a "landscape" shot is a wide angle view. 

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
10 years 3 weeks ago #362379 by Tony Imaging
I think the 70-200mm is one of the most diverse lenses you could have in your camera bag.  I too use this lens often for landscapes.  

Photo Comments
10 years 3 weeks ago #362443 by Stealthy Ninja
If you use a TS lens then you have some sort of advantage. Otherwise shooting f/8-16 you won't see much difference.
10 years 3 weeks ago - 10 years 3 weeks ago #362449 by Stealthy Ninja

Screamin Scott wrote: OK, this picture was shot in 2008....I still have most of these lenses & have added to them too (acquired more than I sold that is). These are just my Nikkor & 3rd party Nikon mount lenses 

WOW
10 years 2 weeks ago #362617 by TedReichner

Screamin Scott wrote: OK, this picture was shot in 2008....I still have most of these lenses & have added to them too (acquired more than I sold that is). These are just my Nikkor & 3rd party Nikon mount lenses

That's a collection!  How many lenses do you have? 

Photo Comments
10 years 2 weeks ago #362621 by Joves
:rofl:
Scott you need to go to GA, or Glassaholics Anonymous.

10 years 2 weeks ago #362623 by Screamin Scott
Never bothered to count them, but likely about 100, give or take a few in Nikon mount, plus maybe another 25 or so in other mounts.... I rarely sell any lenses. When I went digital, I kept my older manual focus lenses, unlike a lot of people. I have added mostly AF lenses over the last few years. I got an AF 50mm F1.4 for $35 (Oh, I did get a MF 20mm F4 for $35 a few years back too), but then paid a bit more  ($400) for an AF  Nikkor 80-200 F2.8  D ED, $200 for a MF  Nikkor 300 F4.5 ED IF AIS, $350 for a Sigma AF  10-20mm F4/5.6 EX and $310 for a Nikkor AF 180 F2.8 ED IF...   My cameras will all take even the older MF lenses, so it's hard to part with any as they all have a "signature" look that modern lenses are hard to duplicate...My other lenses I mount & use on an Olympus Pen E-P3 mirrorless camera (several fast F1.4 Minolta in this bunch)

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
10 years 2 weeks ago #362775 by Alex
LOL...  Scott that is one serious collection.  You have more glass than most rental companies! 

Thank you for making PhotographyTalk.com your photography community of choice.
Photo Comments
10 years 2 weeks ago #363449 by Stealthy Ninja

Alex wrote: LOL...  Scott that is one serious collection.  You have more glass than most rental companies! 

He has more glass than... a window factory...

10 years 2 weeks ago #363605 by Miss Polly
I say, use what you need to, to get the shot!

Photo Comments
10 years 2 weeks ago #363621 by garyrhook

Miss Polly wrote: I say, use what you need to, to get the shot!

Or use what you have. Figure out a way to make it work.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024