Time for a new camera lens OR camera body?

9 years 11 months ago #367463 by neal1977
I have $2,700 saved up in my photography slush fund and I'm trying to decide what direction I want to go.  My Nikon D90 works just fine, but has some mileage on it. And I still have the same glass that I started out with, and could use an update too:

17-55mm
105mm
18-105mm

Which direction would you go if you were in my shoes with $2700 to spend?  

Photo Comments
9 years 11 months ago #367511 by KCook
I branched out, so to speak, to try a M4/3 mirrorless camera.  Not to replace my DSLR, but for more casual days.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

9 years 11 months ago #367523 by neal1977
You mind me asking what 4/3 camera did you buy?

Photo Comments
9 years 11 months ago - 9 years 11 months ago #367529 by garyrhook

neal1977 wrote: Which direction would you go if you were in my shoes with $2700 to spend?  

Depending on the number of shots, your D90 probably has plenty of life left in it. I keep running into people that happily use one.

A lot depends upon what you shoot, and what you want to do. If you want more capability in interior low-light situations, you might want to get a 24-70 f/2.8 lens. More reach? A 70-200 f/2.8 (or perhaps the f/4). If you want what is arguably the best portrait lens, an 85 f/1.4, or, for a lot less money, the 85 f/1.8.

You could also move to a D7100 and save the rest for more glass later on.

Again, it depends upon what you want to be able to do.

Me, I have a Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 and the Nikon 105. My next purchase will be a 70-200 f/2.8, followed by an 85 f/1.8. While I have a DX body (D5100) I will not buy DX lenses; at some point, money available, I'll move to a D800, most likely.

And for what it's worth, consider how you'll feel after the purchase. If you think that you'll regret your choice, then you're probably not fully settled on your decision, and should hold off until you have truly chosen a course of action.

But that's just me.

Photo Comments
9 years 11 months ago #367557 by KCook

neal1977 wrote: You mind me asking what 4/3 camera did you buy?

Olympus PL2 -

www.dcresource.com/reviews/olympus/e_pl2-review

As this is now a 3 year old model, used ones are quite cheap to buy.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

9 years 11 months ago - 9 years 11 months ago #367561 by effron
Like stated above, it depends. If you're into wildlife photography for instance, a D7100 and a 300mm f/4 would fill the bill, no? D800 rocks, a D9300 (D400) is around the corner...the choice is yours, whatever YOU want....;)

Kelly is giving me ideas.....:unsure:

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
9 years 11 months ago #367569 by Tim Dordeck
Have you thought about buying used?  If so, you can upgrade body and most likely get a lens or two and still be under budget.  Especially if you sell your D90.  Sell your D90 for $400 to $500, buy a used D700 and you should have enough for some glass still. 

Photo Comments
9 years 11 months ago #367619 by ThatNikonGuy

Tim Dordeck wrote: Have you thought about buying used?  If so, you can upgrade body and most likely get a lens or two and still be under budget.  Especially if you sell your D90.  Sell your D90 for $400 to $500, buy a used D700 and you should have enough for some glass still. 

Possible, but a lean fit. 

Photo Comments
9 years 11 months ago #367709 by neal1977
You guys are great.  I'm looking right now at these options.  D700 would be nice!  Didn't know my camera would be worth that much.  Well there are options to look at.  :thx2:

Photo Comments
9 years 11 months ago #367809 by Joves
Personally if I had that kind of money saved for new gear, I would be getting a D800, since it is $2800 at B&H right now. You can use your DX glass on it without a major Image Quality hit due to the amount of pixels it still has in DX mode. And it is just a good body that will serve you well for a longtime. Or you can go with the D610 to go full frame @ $1900, and maybe get a used lens from them, or KEH, or save it for more glass, or get an extra battery. Again because of the pixel count you will not suffer in DX mode. For me it would be the 800, this mainly because of Nikon increasing the pixel count, and therefore making the newer FF bodies acceptable in DX mode. That and you can switch them into DX if you choose even with an FX lens mounted.

9 years 11 months ago #367817 by Don Fischer
If I was going to upgrade right now from my D5000, I considered the D7000. Got some advice to do the D7100 instead for what I want. Well it's not in  the budget so will wait till it's replaced and check in again. I about had myself sole on the D7000 and B&H has it as a referb for $612! I have had really great luck with reberb equip. Didn't the D7000 replace the D700? Might be worth looking into. Don't think I'd buy used as inexpensively as a referb can be had!

9 years 11 months ago #367857 by effron

Don Fischer wrote: If I was going to upgrade right now from my D5000, I considered the D7000. Got some advice to do the D7100 instead for what I want. Well it's not in  the budget so will wait till it's replaced and check in again. I about had myself sole on the D7000 and B&H has it as a referb for $612! I have had really great luck with reberb equip. Didn't the D7000 replace the D700? Might be worth looking into. Don't think I'd buy used as inexpensively as a referb can be had!

The D7000 certainly did NOT replace the D700, I'm not sure it replaced anything....:(

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
9 years 11 months ago #368013 by Gump

Joves wrote: Personally if I had that kind of money saved for new gear, I would be getting a D800, since it is $2800 at B&H right now. You can use your DX glass on it without a major Image Quality hit due to the amount of pixels it still has in DX mode. And it is just a good body that will serve you well for a longtime. Or you can go with the D610 to go full frame @ $1900, and maybe get a used lens from them, or KEH, or save it for more glass, or get an extra battery. Again because of the pixel count you will not suffer in DX mode. For me it would be the 800, this mainly because of Nikon increasing the pixel count, and therefore making the newer FF bodies acceptable in DX mode. That and you can switch them into DX if you choose even with an FX lens mounted.

Good advice

Photo Comments
9 years 11 months ago #368417 by Stealthy Ninja
2nd hand D4s

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024