Why do photographers bother with manual when Aperture Priority works better?

10 years 1 week ago #367715 by Tim Entin
I'm going to ask the same question that I had a discussion on Facebook earlier this week.  So let's say you are photographing your favorite football (Go Denver!) or baseball game.  You could shoot in shutter priority, but then changes you make adjust the DOF, which for me, that's what I like to have most control over.  Then there is manual, which seems like way to much work (not trying to sound lazy, but speed is important with sports).  So why not just shoot in aperture priority, you keep your DOF where you creatively want it, bump up your ISO as you need to.

-Tim

10 years 1 week ago #367769 by KCook
Creative DOF is not a high priority for everyone in every situation.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

10 years 1 week ago #367805 by Joves
:agree:
Yeah Kelly is right. Personally I can adjust both the shutter, and the aperture at the same time on the fly, it has become second nature. With digital cameras it is so fast that you do not lose any time, unlike the old film days where you had to adjust the aperture on the lens, and then the shutter on a dial on the body. Now it is two wheels front&back. For sports I would be more worried about the SS over the aperture, well unless you consider chess, knitting, or shuffleboard as sports.

10 years 6 days ago #367841 by Scott Klubeck
I agree, everybody has different purpose with their camera, different settings that they need so what works for you works for me.

Photo Comments
10 years 6 days ago #367917 by garyrhook
1) I have control issues, it seems.

2) I think about all 3 elements simultaneously, in order to get what I want. And adjust them accordingly relatively easily by feel (at least, I'm making progress in doing so).

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: renanpaiva
10 years 6 days ago - 10 years 6 days ago #367921 by Leilanee

Tim Entin wrote: I'm going to ask the same question that I had a discussion on Facebook earlier this week.  So let's say you are photographing your favorite football (Go Denver!) or baseball game.  You could shoot in shutter priority, but then changes you make adjust the DOF, which for me, that's what I like to have most control over.  Then there is manual, which seems like way to much work (not trying to sound lazy, but speed is important with sports).  So why not just shoot in aperture priority, you keep your DOF where you creatively want it, bump up your ISO as you need to.

-Tim

My answer goes along with what Gary said.  I just like having control, which may come with my OCD, and I got used to manual.  Also, as bolded, I usually try to keep my ISO as low as I can.... despite the fact that my camera can afford to work at higher ISOs.  Again, just an OCD thing.

Edit: If not the lowest ISO, then the same ISO (unless going from high light to low light or something in the same shoot for some reason).  I'm all about consistency.

10 years 6 days ago - 10 years 6 days ago #367923 by hghlndr6
I have a problem with the OP's question which states that "...Aperture Priority works better."  It doesn't.  Whatever works for you in a given situation is "better."

I'm with Gary; I'm reluctant to cede all control to the camera.  And, like Dennis, I come from the era when everything was manual.  So it's easy, and fast.  I do sometimes use aperture priority; used it today shooting wildlife.  But when lighting got tricky, manual was the better way to go.
The following user(s) said Thank You: renanpaiva
10 years 6 days ago #368001 by JD Imagery
:agree:  my response has nothing new that hasn't been mentioned already.

Photo Comments
10 years 6 days ago #368009 by Hassner
If in an open air stadium with the shadow creeping over the field, I want to be in control. If the player is still in the sun, but on the edge of the dark shadow background, my manual exposure will catch him perfectly. If they play in the shadow and it becomes very dark and I rely on aperture, I have no idea what level my shutter speed drops to. It is not a matter of me being a control freak. It is a matter of knowing and having peace of mind.

This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
No one kicks up there feet next to the water cooler better than this person.  Top poster - LoungeLounge Guru
Photo Comments
10 years 5 days ago #368125 by Drew Fletcher
I prefer shooting in aperture priority mainly because of the creative control it gives me

Nikon D700 | 24-70mm | 14-24mm | 105mm
Photo Comments
10 years 5 days ago #368217 by TCooper
To me, photography is all about doing what you, the individual artist feels like doing to get the shot.  If you want to shoot in manual, go for it.  If you feel you need to shoot in aperture, shutter or even auto (if your camera has setting).  Go for it. 

Photo Comments
10 years 4 days ago #368299 by Joves

TCooper wrote: To me, photography is all about doing what you, the individual artist feels like doing to get the shot.  If you want to shoot in manual, go for it.  If you feel you need to shoot in aperture, shutter or even auto (if your camera has setting).  Go for it. 

:agree:
With that. It is what works for you to get the shot. There is no best mode is all I and others are saying. I used aperture mode like maybe two years ago on a day I was feeling lazier.

10 years 4 days ago - 10 years 4 days ago #368337 by Scotty
I think you are all crazy.  I shoot aperture priority for 99 percent of my shots.  Manual is too much work.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
10 years 4 days ago - 10 years 4 days ago #368353 by hghlndr6
On any shot, the first thing I ask myself is, "do I have DOF concerns here?"  The answer is usually yes.  So, aperture is usually the priority.  So, aperture priority mode usually works fine.  The second question is "do I have speed concerns here?"  Sometimes that answer is yes, whether it's for stopping motion or blurring motion, so shutter priority sometimes works fine too.  It really doesn't matter whether you're shooting in one of the auto modes or in manual modes ... either aperture or shutter speed will be the priority.  Where it gets tricky is when the answer to both questions is yes. ;)

Where I always abandon an auto mode and shoot manual is when the lighting gets complicated and exposure compensation is needed.  In that case, I find the auto modes to be MORE work than manual.  There's another button and another dial to work, and another setting that will need to be re-set.  Shooting in manual, I can quickly and easily over or under expose working just two dials simultaneously, one in front and one in back, never taking my eye from the viewfinder.  I'm not a big fan of holding the release button half-way either ... for either exposure or focus.  With manual mode, exposure is locked, period.
10 years 4 days ago #368399 by Stealthy Ninja

Scotty wrote: I think you are all crazy.  I shoot aperture priority for 99 percent of my shots.  Manual is too much work.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024