Are you using a 32GB or greater card?

10 years 2 days ago #369691 by garyrhook
This question is asked periodically, and I must confess that I do not understand the intent. I'm curious as to the real question here?

Photo Comments
10 years 2 days ago #369709 by MYoung
Got one, are you worried about having all your photos on one card vs smaller ones?

Photo Comments
10 years 2 days ago #369715 by effron
I use 8 ands 16s, because of cost only.

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
10 years 2 days ago #369747 by Miss Polly

garyrhook wrote: This question is asked periodically, and I must confess that I do not understand the intent. I'm curious as to the real question here?

Oh I'm sorry, I was asking because I'm needing another card and I'm trying to figure out whether to get a 32gb card or two lesser priced 16gb cards.  I'm on the fence so didn't see any harm in asking here.  Figured I would get some insight as to what other photographers are using.  

Photo Comments
10 years 2 days ago #369767 by garyrhook
OK, that's more clear. And of course there's no harm in asking. There's more than one question implied in the OP.

I keep a lookout for sales; the one 32G I have was only 2x the cost of a 16G. It all evens out for me. I won't pay for anything larger, and of course, you camera firmware may have limits on card sizes.

I can get appr. 675 shots (RAW) on a 16G card; that's usually enough for any stretch of shooting that I do. I just have to remember to change cards. But I do have one large one that I use if I think it's going to be a long day, or I'm capturing video, too.

The downside of the a larger card is, if it fails, you're out that card. If you use smaller cards and they fail, you are minimizing any potential loss. Not that the reputable cards fail very often.

I think you have to figure out your shooting requirements and style, and choose based on that, not what others are doing.

Photo Comments
10 years 2 days ago - 10 years 2 days ago #369775 by Screamin Scott
I have 2-32 GB cards in my D7100 (One Extreme & 1 Ultra, both Sandisk) (Dual slots).... My D300 has a single CF slot & I have a SanDisk 16gb Extreme in that one.

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
10 years 2 days ago #369783 by Baydream
I have a 32, a couple of 16s and a few 8s. The only "failure" was a card that split as I pushed it into the slot. My fault but I didn't loose any photos. 

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
10 years 2 days ago #369867 by Stealthy Ninja
64GB X 2 on the 1Dx and 32GB X2 on the 1Dsiii. Both recording RAW separately to both cards at the same time.

I use the 1Dsiii lesson shoots, so 32gb is enough. I've never ran out of spac, despite sometimes shooting all day. This is very handy and much better than changing cards all the time and shooting two cards at once means I'm pretty much guaranteed to have the shots safe and sound at the end of the day.
10 years 1 day ago #369945 by The Gardener
I have one 32gb card, but always have two 16gb cards with me

Photo Comments
10 years 1 day ago #369949 by cybersholt
Single 32 and a couple of 16's works for me!

Thank you for making PhotographyTalk.com your photography community of choice.
Photo Comments
10 years 1 day ago #370025 by Ian Stone
Just 16GB cards for me right now

Photo Comments
10 years 1 day ago #370085 by Garbo
Got 2 32's and a couple 16's.  But my 16GB cards have been sitting in my desk drawer unused for months. 

Nikon D300: 24-70 2.8 | 70-200 2.8 VR |Sigma 150 2.8 | 50 1.4 | SB-800
Photo Comments
9 years 11 months ago #370645 by photobod
When using my D300 I always use 4gb and 8gb, but now I also have the D800 so due to the large file size and I always shoot raw I need to buy some larger cards, will probably go with several 32gb as I don't like the thought of using a very large card, if it failed and I lost all the clients photos I would be devastated, just imagine if it was at a wedding !!!.

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

9 years 11 months ago #370649 by shelland
I have a 32gb Sandisk and 64gb Transcend. (CF)

Scott

- Twin Cities, MN

9 years 11 months ago #370761 by Vespista

photobod wrote: When using my D300 I always use 4gb and 8gb, but now I also have the D800 so due to the large file size and I always shoot raw I need to buy some larger cards, will probably go with several 32gb as I don't like the thought of using a very large card, if it failed and I lost all the clients photos I would be devastated, just imagine if it was at a wedding !!!.

I agree. 32GB cards are a good compromise between cost, usability  and security against failure.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024