How do you respond to "work for free" requests?

9 years 11 months ago #370061 by garyrhook

Jennifer Krueger wrote: How rude of them to even meet up with you when they had no $$

It's not at all clear the bride-to-be had no money. It's clear they thought they deserved special treatment and could get something for nothing.

Thousands of dollars for a freakin' dress that you wear one time. Food and beverages that are gone within hours. But let's try to save money on the one thing that you'll have forever.

Photo Comments
9 years 11 months ago #370069 by Leilanee

garyrhook wrote:

Jennifer Krueger wrote: How rude of them to even meet up with you when they had no $$

It's not at all clear the bride-to-be had no money. It's clear they thought they deserved special treatment and could get something for nothing.

Thousands of dollars for a freakin' dress that you wear one time. Food and beverages that are gone within hours. But let's try to save money on the one thing that you'll have forever.

Society is so backwards. I've stopped letting it surprise me.

9 years 11 months ago #370071 by garyrhook

Leilanee wrote: Society is so backwards. I've stopped letting it surprise me.

Aren't you Canadian?  I'll take Canada any day.

I have 2 daughters. I've been working on level-setting for a few years now. Not sure it's helping.

Photo Comments
9 years 11 months ago #370081 by Leilanee

garyrhook wrote:

Leilanee wrote: Society is so backwards. I've stopped letting it surprise me.

Aren't you Canadian?  I'll take Canada any day.

I have 2 daughters. I've been working on level-setting for a few years now. Not sure it's helping.

The day Canada introduced its own Black Friday, I accepted that our nation was lost.

9 years 11 months ago #370099 by MYoung
I feel better about this, at least I know I was somewhat right to be mad.  Lesson learned.  

Photo Comments
9 years 11 months ago #370189 by Frost Photography
Oh heck no!  I would not only give her a month full, I would send her a bill for my time to and from that meeting.  At least covering my travel cost. 

"The quickest way to make money at photography is to sell your camera."
Photo Comments
9 years 11 months ago #370499 by JaneK
That's just wrong in my opinion!  I think I would have a hard time bitting my words in this case.  

Photo Comments
9 years 11 months ago #370915 by Garbo

garyrhook wrote:

Exactly!  Some people have a warped sense of priority!

Nikon D300: 24-70 2.8 | 70-200 2.8 VR |Sigma 150 2.8 | 50 1.4 | SB-800
Photo Comments
9 years 11 months ago #370961 by Josh Jofoto
She would get a bill from me

Canon 7D | Canon EF-S 18-55 IS | Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 | Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 | Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 macro | CanonEF 17-40 f/4 L | 70-200 f/4 L | 580 EX II
9 years 11 months ago #371591 by ShadowWalker
I'm amazed of how people think at times.  This is not only rude, but leaves a bad taste, and is just messed up.   

Photo Comments
9 years 11 months ago #371656 by Joves
:rofl:
Well I am glad to see we are all of the same mindset. I have to agree with both of Gary's posts, and Sharon's. Personally I would never met with them for lunch, well at least if it was at a restaurant, their house sure. Also I would state that meeting someone outside of a certain radius from your office will require a refundable charge, that is considered a part of your intial down payment. This will flush out the turds from the punchbowl for the most part. I would have that in your ads, and on your site. You may lose some business, or inquiries, but most likely if someone really wants your services it will have no effect. The type of clients you want will have no problem with it.

9 years 11 months ago #371683 by cramerimaging
Things like this are in VERY poor taste.  However, they are very common.  My spouse was just telling me about how many people call in on any given day demanding free TV for anything from 6 months to life just because they missed a single "important" show.  In case you are wondering, my spouse currently works for one of the major satellite TV providers in the nation.  Sadly, this is how people are being allowed to behave lately.

I might be tempted to ask the prospective bride what she and/or her groom do for a living and ask if I could get those services for free with promise of future business and referrals.  I'm betting it would be a rather hostile answer which might open a window for you to explain the inappropriateness of her request to her.  I don't know how well I could bite my tongue on this.  Props to the OP for managing to hold your tongue in a difficult situation.

Promises of referrals mean absolutely nothing coming from her.  She absolutely cannot guarantee what other people will do.  Even if you did pick up referral traffic, it would likely also be people looking for freebies or ultra reduced cost for high end work.

9 years 11 months ago #371713 by Stealthy Ninja
I recently had a friend ask me to shoot his/her (actually a couple) wedding reception (which I was invited too).  They were actually nice and such... anyway, I said something like: "I don't mind taking photos, but I want to enjoy the reception too and photography is work."  I then organised one of my "staff" to do it for a low amount and said to the people: "I've arranged a photographer for you and will pay for her as a gift to you guys".  

In this case I didn't undervalue my work and I didn't exactly say no.  It's difficult with friends, but sometimes they need to realise that what they're asking is like asking a dentist to cap their teeth for free or a restaurant to give them free meals. 
9 years 11 months ago #371714 by Stealthy Ninja

cramerimaging wrote: I might be tempted to ask the prospective bride what she and/or her groom do for a living and ask if I could get those services for free with promise of future business and referrals.

Honestly... why not?  The barter system might work in the case of poorer clients. 
9 years 11 months ago #372012 by Vincent
Some people are just @#$#%.  

Sorry that is my polite answer too!  

Nikon D700 | 14-24mm f/2.8G ED | 24-70mm f/2.8G ED | 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II | (2) SB-900
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Smartphone photos have come a long way in recent years. With their increase in quality comes the ability to create large prints. Learn why canvas is a great option for your phone photos!

Mar 29, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024