How do you achieve that Oumph?

9 years 11 months ago #370241 by JeremyS
Hey everyone, I often see photos where there is just a real wow factor. All competition winners and all excellent photos really give off this "wow factor". What I'm wondering, is how do you put this into your photography? Does it involve excellent timing? Once in a lifetime chance? Something that comes naturally, or even something you do in specific to achieve this wow factor in awesome photos. 

I am asking this to all of you because I am trying to find the "wow factor" to be able to bring my photography of any type up to the next level. It is something I have struggled with, but I am slowly getting better. What do you suggest or how have you found your way to be able to deliver it?

9 years 11 months ago #370245 by KCook
Luck or timing can be critical for some subjects, meaningless for other subjects.  The biggest difference for my results was clawing my way up the RAW processing mountain.

Kelly Cook

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

9 years 11 months ago #370251 by Tim Dordeck
Personally I think it's all of the above.  Good timing, patience, knowing your subject and firm understanding of your landscape and strong understanding of the fundamentals of photography.  A nice blend of all that and you increase your chances of getting those 'WOW' shots. 

And then every so often, lady luck steps in too.  ;) 

Photo Comments
9 years 11 months ago #370271 by garyrhook
Starting with a very good shot, crisp and well  exposed, and lots of post-processing. Pretty much anything you see (other than photojournalism) has been processed to some degree.

You might look into 1x.com for insight as to how images are created. There's a book on Amazon, too, called  Photo Inspiration . Might be helpful.

Not that anything I have is in the "wow" category, but if you want to pick out one of my images and have me explain the processing, I'd be happy to. My work can be found on Facebook , ViewBug , here on PT, and on my website GRHook Photo .

Photo Comments
9 years 11 months ago #370383 by KCook
A linky for any who are still convinced that only "natural" counts, and editing makes no difference -

www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1288111/0#12286383

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

The following user(s) said Thank You: Leilanee
9 years 11 months ago #370527 by EOS_Fan
Visualize and really think about every shot you take.  Oh and luck!  

Photo Comments
9 years 11 months ago #370583 by ilh2009ky
I agree with the previous comments--especially about shooting in RAW, being prepared, knowing your equipment and having patience.  In addition, checkout some of the Topaz Lab software--specifically, Topaz Adjust, Topaz Clarity and Topaz Detail.  These plugins don't do anything you couldn't do with Photoshop, but, they do it a lot faster with the use of presets so you can compare and see which one really take your images to the next level.

Ian Leslie Harry
www.ilhphotography.com

9 years 11 months ago #370629 by garyrhook
+1 on Topaz. I have Adjust, Clarity, Remask and Simplify. I've gotten them all at 50% off via their mailing list and monthly sails. Could not be happier, especially Remask. Awesome stuff.

Photo Comments
9 years 11 months ago #370631 by Leilanee
I think "wow" factor can be very loosely defined. Once you find your niche, touch on your creativity, and grab opportunities it gets easier to achieve. Innovation and presentation are usually what turns heads and catches the eye.

9 years 11 months ago #371113 by JeremyS
Thanks everyone for all your answers, ill be looking into all of these things to see what they can do.

9 years 11 months ago #371211 by ThatNikonGuy
+1 on Topaz Adjust

Photo Comments
9 years 11 months ago #371381 by Foxy Girl
I wish Topaz would work on my iPad :( 

Photo Comments
9 years 11 months ago #371617 by JeremyS
I did some digging and ran across a free download of topaz restyle, if I have lightroom/CC/viewnx2 is adjust worth it? If so what does it bring to the table the others don't?

9 years 11 months ago #371689 by garyrhook
Well, other than a 30-day demo, that product isn't free. They still sell it. You can acquire a fully-working, 30-day license for their entire suite, if you like, to check it out.

That's not something I'm interested in; it looks like IG filters to me. I prefer to develop my own style, and those sorts of "moods" appeal to me not at all. Your mileage may vary.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024