Go with shadows or drop in a fill light with portraits?

10 years 3 days ago #370317 by Conner
I'm sure this is going to stir up many opinions, but I'm going to ask any way.  If you are taking someones portrait and you have shadows on your models face.  Do you keep natural or go for a fill light?  I have been reading up on this and it seems there are mixed views on this.  Some say leaving the shadows gives depth to the portrait, while others say go for the fill light.  

Where do you stand?  

Photo Comments
10 years 3 days ago #370323 by KCook
I generally try to put in some fill.  However, the best amount of fill is tricky.  See all the articles on light ratio.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

10 years 2 days ago #370411 by Jim Photo
Having some shadows work for me, as long as it's not sharp shadow lines.  I like more of the soft shadows that give depth with out all the drama. 

Photo Comments
10 years 2 days ago #370445 by Paris Gal
Completely depends on my model and situation.  Most of the time I think I'll go for the fill light, but I do like the classic lighting poses too.  I think they have an artistic spin on portraits.   

5D mark II gripped | Canon 100L | Canon 85 1.8 | Sigma 50 1.4 | Tamron 28-75 2.8 | 580ex II | 430ex II x 2 |
Photo Comments
10 years 2 days ago #370557 by garyrhook
+1

It depends on the light. Shadows are a good thing, as they do, indeed, give the face depth and definition. Adding fill is about brightening the face so it's more easily seen, not about diminishing shadows. You (probably) don't want to overpower with flat light, which is only appropriate for fashion, not portraiture.

Photo Comments
10 years 2 days ago #370569 by Leilanee
I agree with everyone else!  It depends on whether the shadows are overpowering and your artistic intentions.

10 years 2 days ago #370591 by Sawyer
Well I hate to copy other answers, but all of the above +1

Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM | Canon 35L | Sigma 85 1.4 | Helios 44M-6 58mm(M42) | Zeiss 50mm 1.4 (C/Y) | Canon 135L | (2) 430EX II
Photo Comments
10 years 1 day ago #370831 by Tony Imaging
Personally I don't like harsh shadows, but depending on the artistic approach I'm after with my subject will determine the lighting direction I go.  

Photo Comments
10 years 1 day ago #370967 by McBeth Photography
I find that, when I can use one, a 60' shoot through umbrella is just about perfect for headshots because the wrap around light. It's like having a key light and a fill light all in one. This is something that a softbox just can't do.

It is what it is.
10 years 1 day ago #371071 by hghlndr6

McBeth Photography wrote: I find that, when I can use one, a 60' shoot through umbrella is just about perfect for headshots because the wrap around light. It's like having a key light and a fill light all in one. This is something that a softbox just can't do.

An umbrella that big would cover my house. ;)
10 years 1 day ago #371109 by McBeth Photography

hghlndr6 wrote:

McBeth Photography wrote: I find that, when I can use one, a 60' shoot through umbrella is just about perfect for headshots because the wrap around light. It's like having a key light and a fill light all in one. This is something that a softbox just can't do.

An umbrella that big would cover my house. ;)

Would you believe a 60" umbrella, lol...

It is what it is.
10 years 1 hour ago #371443 by Jackson Rieger
I'm not much for harsh shadows, so I would go with a fill light to reduce sharp shadows

Photo Comments
9 years 11 months ago #371662 by Joves
:agree:
All good advice above. What it boils down to is what effect are looking for in a given image? Then all you do is add only the amount of light you need to achieve that.

9 years 11 months ago #371717 by Stealthy Ninja
Depends on the style.
9 years 11 months ago #371800 by Fitch
I don't care for sharp shadows and would say a fill light would be used to at least soften things up a little.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024