How would you handle a client who was 10 months late?

9 years 11 months ago #371644 by Richard K Photography
I had a portrait special about 10 months ago where I did a 3 hour session with this couple for $150, but would require them to purchase one of three print packages.  It was an experimental program I was trying.  The couple had access to the watermarked digital files online, and can't seem to pick out which photos they want.  Part of the special, was that you had to pick your photos and package within 30 days.  I have extended this a few times as you can imagine.  They have indicated they like the photos, but keep stalling on picking the final shots.  I'm pretty sure they are stalling because of having to pick up one of the print packages.

This has gone on long enough and I'd like to button this up and would like to do so with out getting under the skin of these people.

Thoughts?  

Photo Comments
9 years 11 months ago #371648 by Joves
Well so they already paid for the initial session I am guessing. And the only part that would finish getting the money you were looking for is the printing, am I right?
If that is the case I am afraid that the pooch is screwed on this one, and you will never see them buy a package. Depending on how much you charge for the print package, you may have to weigh whether it is worth it to try legal measures. That is as long as your contract is specific on the fact that they have to buy it all. That you have allowed them to skate this long may not look good even in Small Claims Court to the judge. I am willing to bet they printed them from your site, even with the Watermark on them.
Which brings up another thing. At what size are you using for people to review the photos? If it is of a good size, then stop doing that. Some people will print your photos even if the Watermark goes straight over their faces. Are you making your Watermark intrusive to discourage clients from self-printing images? I know it sucks having to do that, but it is the new world we live in.

9 years 11 months ago #371675 by icepics
Did you have a contract that specifies any terms related to late orders/payments? I agree, I don't think I'd find it worth pursuing or providing prints at this point.

Maybe send a final notice that if they still want prints they need to be ordered by a specific date or you'll go ahead and close out their account (or something to that effect). In the type work I've done (that isn't photography related) a final letter was sent out if a response to phone calls hadn't been received (which was documented) and then the file was closed out (stored for a certain time period and could be started up again if contact was re-established). I'd probably save their photos for a period of time.

Sharon
Photo Comments
9 years 11 months ago #371686 by garyrhook
I'd suggest they look into having labor induced.

Oh, wait.

Presuming you made your package pricing clear up front (so they knew what they were getting into) I'm going to agree with the above. Everything I've read of late talks about in-person sales, where you show the images (Animoto, printed 5x7s, laptop and lightroom, whatever) in person only. They don't have a gallery until they buy something; for example, you throw in small, watermarked images for FB/etc.

At the very least, having a specified timeframe (30 days?) to review and purchase, then the gallery gets taken down, may be helpful, but I doubt it. They likely did just take screenshots or figured out how to nab them from your site.

It's tragic what people find acceptable.

I am rethinking how I do portrait because of this potential problem, although to date I've not had your situation bite me in the a$$.  I'd prefer to head that off.

Find the right/ideal customer is hard. Send a final prompt, chalk it up to experience, and move on.

Oh, and take their images down.

Photo Comments
9 years 11 months ago #371696 by One Wish

garyrhook wrote: I'd suggest they look into having labor induced.

Oh, wait.

Presuming you made your package pricing clear up front (so they knew what they were getting into) I'm going to agree with the above. Everything I've read of late talks about in-person sales, where you show the images (Animoto, printed 5x7s, laptop and lightroom, whatever) in person only. They don't have a gallery until they buy something; for example, you throw in small, watermarked images for FB/etc.

At the very least, having a specified timeframe (30 days?) to review and purchase, then the gallery gets taken down, may be helpful, but I doubt it. They likely did just take screenshots or figured out how to nab them from your site.

It's tragic what people find acceptable.

I am rethinking how I do portrait because of this potential problem, although to date I've not had your situation bite me in the a$$.  I'd prefer to head that off.

Find the right/ideal customer is hard. Send a final prompt, chalk it up to experience, and move on.

Oh, and take their images down.

:agree: good  advice  

Photo Comments
9 years 11 months ago #371709 by Stealthy Ninja

Oh, wait.

9 years 11 months ago #371710 by Stealthy Ninja

Oh, wait.

9 years 11 months ago #371744 by Vahrenkamp
Sounds like it's time to cut them off, and learn your lesson and change your contract to protect yourself.  

Photo Comments
9 years 11 months ago #371764 by Don Fischer
 A good baseball bat should work well! I'm afraid I'm from a different era than a lot of you. When I was young and someone welched we beat the cr@p out of them!

9 years 11 months ago #371794 by Stealthy Ninja

Don Fischer wrote:  A good baseball bat should work well! I'm afraid I'm from a different era than a lot of you. When I was young and someone welched we beat the cr@p out of them!

It must have been all that walking up hill both ways in the snow that made you all cranky.
9 years 11 months ago #371827 by JaneK

Don Fischer wrote:  A good baseball bat should work well! I'm afraid I'm from a different era than a lot of you. When I was young and someone welched we beat the cr@p out of them!

Don't want to get you mad!  :rofl:

Photo Comments
9 years 11 months ago #371928 by Tim Dordeck
Interesting special, how did the sales numbers work out at the end?

Photo Comments
9 years 10 months ago #377318 by Jacko
There are some people who just make bad clients, after 6 months, I wouldn't bother much time towards that.  It would just be a waste of time vs getting new business.  

Photo Comments
9 years 10 months ago #377359 by Alan Nunez
Cut your losses. I would send them a final message saying that the offer is no longer valid and if they do not order by a specific date the prices will increase(and tell them by how much) and then let it go.

Sux when this happens. I had a wedding client who had pre paid disappear. They contacted me on their 10th anniversary to get there wedding album. I happy made their album but they had to pay extra. 

9 years 10 months ago #377492 by ShutterPal

Alan Nunez wrote: Cut your losses. I would send them a final message saying that the offer is no longer valid and if they do not order by a specific date the prices will increase(and tell them by how much) and then let it go.

Sux when this happens. I had a wedding client who had pre paid disappear. They contacted me on their 10th anniversary to get there wedding album. I happy made their album but they had to pay extra. 

Good advice.  When this much time has gone by, it's best just to turn around and walk the other way.  Learning lesson. 

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024