Photographer arrested after flying over feedlot

9 years 11 months ago #371661 by Oscar Cohen
Interesting older story I found about  National Geographic photographer who was arrested for flying over a feedlot.  I tried finding following stories to see what happened, but couldn't find anything.  Anyone happen to know what happened with this?   ksn.com/2013/07/10/photographer-arrested...flying-over-feedlot/

Photo Comments
9 years 11 months ago #371664 by Joves
It sounds as if there was a little more to this than just photographing the feed lot. Sounds like they took off from someone elses property without permission, and I am willing to bet they were not just flying over. They were most likely orbiting to get shots of it. It would be like them orbiting a drone over your property, and photographing it. If hey merely straight line flew over, I am willing to bet nothing would have happened. Well except for the use of someones property as an impromptu airstrip.

9 years 11 months ago #371666 by icepics
What's a feedlot?? Anyway, you could try looking up public court records for whatever city/county this happened in. It says they didn't have permission to launch their glider from private property so that sounds like the reason it would have been considered trespassing.

Sharon
Photo Comments
9 years 11 months ago #371671 by Joves
Sharon it is where they feed the cattle to fatten them up before sending them to market. Otherwise they are out in the grazing pastures eating grass. 

9 years 11 months ago #371676 by icepics
National Geographic wanted pictures of cows?? LOL They could have flown over plenty of fields around me, or just taken a drive in the country! Seems pretty mundane for their publication.... but whatever, maybe there was a story there related to agriculture.

Sharon
Photo Comments
9 years 11 months ago #371682 by Joves
I wish it was that simple Sharon. They were most likely trying to find some form of animal abuse at the lot for an article on the industry, or one to scandalize it. It is one of the latest causes against any industry that some groups do not like. Sensationalism sells, and this is what I am willing to bet is the case.

9 years 11 months ago - 9 years 11 months ago #371703 by hghlndr6
Maybe they were in violation of FARS, 14 CFR, Part 91, Section 119 -- Minimum Safe Altitudes - General:
Except when necessary for takeoff or landing, no person may operate an aircraft below the following altitudes:
(a) Anywhere. An altitude allowing, if a power unit fails, an emergency landing without undue hazard to persons or property on the surface.
(b) Over congested areas. Over any congested area of a city, town, or settlement, or over any open air assembly of persons, an altitude of 1,000 feet above the highest obstacle within a horizontal radius of 2,000 feet of the aircraft.
(c) Over other than congested areas. An altitude of 500 feet above the surface, except over open water or sparsely populated areas. In those cases, the aircraft may not be operated closer than 500 feet to any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure.
(d) Helicopters. Helicopters may be operated at less than the minimums prescribed in paragraph (b) or (c) of this section if the operation is conducted without hazard to persons or property on the surface. In addition, each person operating a helicopter shall comply with any routes or altitudes specifically prescribed for helicopters by the Administrator.

And, for ultralights, there's this:
Sec. 103.15 Operations over congested areas.No person may operate an ultralight vehicle over any congested area of a city, town, or settlement, or over any open air assembly of persons.
9 years 11 months ago #371716 by Stealthy Ninja
Feedlots are not merely fields for cows to walk around in.  For starters there's little or no grass in those places and they're much more crowded:

Personally I like nice grass fed beef... yummy.  
9 years 11 months ago #371742 by Vahrenkamp
:agree:  I was going to say the same thing, in residential areas, pilots aren't supposed to fly under 500' altitude 

Photo Comments
9 years 11 months ago #371746 by hghlndr6

Stealthy Ninja wrote: Personally I like nice grass fed beef... yummy.  

Like this guy?
9 years 11 months ago #371806 by Fitch
First I've heard of this one.  I bet they were just flying too low

Photo Comments
9 years 11 months ago #371808 by garyrhook

hghlndr6 wrote: Like this guy?

A coo!

Photo Comments
9 years 11 months ago #371848 by Flash Steven
:rofl:

Canon 7D w/grip, Canon 40D, Canon 70-200mm f2.8 IS L Canon MPE 65mm f2.8 macro; Sigma 70-300mm f2.8; Sigma 150mm f2.8 macro; Sigma 8-16mm f4.5-5.6
Photo Comments
9 years 11 months ago #371869 by Stealthy Ninja

hghlndr6 wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote: Personally I like nice grass fed beef... yummy.  

Like this guy?
[/

Can you imagine the awesome leather jacket(s) you could make from this dude.
9 years 11 months ago #371874 by sleeper54
Apparently only guv'ment drones are allowed unfettered access to private and public airspace.

...tom...

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024