Dealing with rude clients

9 years 10 months ago #378984 by Miss Polly
I just got off the phone with a client who is completely different from who she was before she gave deposit.  This has happened before, clients are all sweet and pleasant to deal with.  Then they give deposit and transform into a monster!  I really have a tough time with people being rude to me.  They are paying for a service, which doesn't give them a free hall pass to be rude.  

I told the client I would refund her money and for her to find another photographer.  Strange thing happened, when the talk of her money going back to her, she became all nice again.  :dry:

I'd like to know how much do you put up with before you throw in the towel?  

Photo Comments
9 years 10 months ago #379012 by Joves
I am guessing this is for a wedding. 

You will have to deal with rude people throughout all of life. You should try working in the heavy construction industry on the concrete end sometime. The stress in this end of the business makes normally nice people into monsters. It is business so I do not take it personally. Sounds like you handled it correctly. I would do that anytime they start getting rude, and note that they wanted you to do the work, not the other way around. 

9 years 10 months ago #379024 by Tim Chiang
Depends on the client, even still I have a lower tolerance for rude people

Photo Comments
9 years 10 months ago #379042 by Ian Stone
I have pretty thick skin, so it takes a lot to get me worked up

Photo Comments
9 years 10 months ago #379047 by effron
Wouldn't depend on the client to me. If I had nothing invested yet, I'd refund the deposit and say bye. At my age, one strike and you're out. You may feel different......(I sure don't miss doing this for a living).......:dry:

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
9 years 10 months ago - 9 years 10 months ago #379068 by Stealthy Ninja
We had one guy who wanted a photo slideshow, but kept demanding we do this and that and got mad/condescending when we explained that the final product isn't going to be that much different to the samples we sent (we're not going to bend over backwards doing custom samples for people).  The guy kept telling us how we should run our business and basically: "I'm the customer, you need to treat me the way I demand."

In the end I just said we can't do the work for them and blocked all contact.

Some people are just not worth the money.
9 years 10 months ago #379100 by Vahrenkamp
Well it always depends on how bad you need the money.  

Photo Comments
9 years 10 months ago #379192 by garyrhook
Define "rude"?

SN's post above is about someone that becomes demanding, and the response is all about "this is the service I (we) provide; I don't do what you are asking. It would be better for you to find someone else that can meet your needs because I am unable to do so. Thankyouforyourinterestandgood day."

It is imperative to know how to fire a customer, and do so properly. Here's another one that apparently could learn that lesson:

www.foxnews.com/opinion/2014/06/03/baker...vity-training-after/

Photo Comments
9 years 10 months ago #379293 by Fishtaco

Joves wrote: I am guessing this is for a wedding. 

You will have to deal with rude people throughout all of life. You should try working in the heavy construction industry on the concrete end sometime. The stress in this end of the business makes normally nice people into monsters. It is business so I do not take it personally. Sounds like you handled it correctly. I would do that anytime they start getting rude, and note that they wanted you to do the work, not the other way around. 

:agree:     I was going to say the same thing!  ha ha ha 

Photo Comments
9 years 10 months ago #379341 by Stealthy Ninja

garyrhook wrote: Define "rude"?

SN's post above is about someone that becomes demanding, and the response is all about "this is the service I (we) provide; I don't do what you are asking. It would be better for you to find someone else that can meet your needs because I am unable to do so. Thankyouforyourinterestandgood day."

It is imperative to know how to fire a customer, and do so properly. Here's another one that apparently could learn that lesson:

www.foxnews.com/opinion/2014/06/03/baker...vity-training-after/

Yeh exactly.  No point working with someone who's demanding more than what you do.

Also, if you don't want to make gay cakes, say you're all out of pink icing. :toocrazy:
9 years 10 months ago #379653 by Kenya See
I don't get to many rude people, but I'm a tough girl.  So I have a high tolerance.  

Photo Comments
9 years 10 months ago #379672 by Stealthy Ninja

Kenya See wrote: I don't get to many rude people, but I'm a tough girl.  So I have a high tolerance.  

\

Maybe they're scared of you. :P
9 years 10 months ago #379698 by Miss Polly

Joves wrote: I am guessing this is for a wedding. 

Actually she was!

Photo Comments
9 years 10 months ago #379736 by Alan Nunez

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

Kenya See wrote: I don't get to many rude people, but I'm a tough girl.  So I have a high tolerance.  

\

Maybe they're scared of you. :P

From Kanya's photo there she does not look scary

9 years 10 months ago #379737 by Alan Nunez
I think there is a fine line between a rude client and an upset client. I will not tolerate rude clients, they can be someone else's problem. I do sometimes find client that are upset and are doing a poor job of expressing the issue. This type I find it very easy to get them back on side and happy by just agreeing there is an issue and offer to do everything reasonably possible to fix it. 

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024

With these easy iPhone photography tips, you can maximize the functionality of your iPhone’s camera and get much-improved results for portraits, landscapes, and any other genre!

Apr 05, 2024

A small camera backpack is the perfect vessel for carrying your photography kit. The problem is there’s so many to choose from! Use this guide for details on three top choices.

Apr 04, 2024