Manual mode vs aperture priority.

9 years 9 months ago #382345 by Scotty
To avoid derailing the other thread, i made this thread for everybody to discuss the benefits and have a healthy discussion.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
The topic has been locked.
9 years 9 months ago #382348 by EOS_Fan
I started out shooting manual all the time and now just use Aperture priority about 85% of the time.  Personally I like this mode the best.  

Photo Comments
9 years 9 months ago #382359 by KCook
Oh goody a fresh start (I think?) :toocrazy:

Deal is:  PAS modes (with or without EC) react to changes in the scene.  Manual makes it super easy to ignore those changes.  So . . . which I use depends on whether I want changes in the scene to influence the exposure.  In the majority of cases I do want this auto reaction to the scene, so I don't bother with Manual mode much.  But I am not married forever to any one mode.

Kelly Cook

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

9 years 9 months ago #382393 by garyrhook

Scotty wrote: ...and have a healthy discussion.

I think that horse left the dock.

Photo Comments
9 years 9 months ago #382421 by Joves

garyrhook wrote:

:rofl: :agree:
Well even though I posted in the other thread. I will preface this post with if you feel any of the Auto Modes work for you then use them, and good for you.     
AS for me, and the response to that I was not giving a technical reason for using it, that is false. My technical reason was that Nikons at least I tend to find that they Over Expose in P,S, and A Modes. So for me I will never use them, and have not for a few years. Just stating that you can compensate that with the EC function is just another unnecessary step to me. How that can be considered better is beyond me, well as far as my shooting style goes. I can adjust my shutter speed, and aperture with the flick of a finger, and thumb at the same time to get what I want, and not have to go to a function button to reset if the lighting changes. In MM I just change either bot, or one setting with the wheels near the focus, and shutter release. Also all of you Modes as said are indeed decided by the meter, which I find over exposes most of the time, so your modes will over expose, or not expose correctly. This is why they left manual in.
And before I hear I do not know how to use EC then, or those Modes correctly. I do know how to use them, but do not care for them. Also I know what every function of my Picture Controls do as well, but am not arrogant enough to think that I can shoot solely in Jpeg. The first thing I have done with my cameras when I bought them was comparative shooting playing with the settings, and exposures. On the subject I think MM is far superior to Aperture Priority, or the other Modes. As far as having to watch, or forgetting to look at my meter when I am shooting, I do not even have to think about it, because it is second nature for me to see the settings.
So as I said if the Modes float your boat good for you, but don't try to make me sound like a luddite for thinking they are junk to me. Lets keep this civil.

9 years 9 months ago #382426 by garyrhook

Joves wrote: I will preface this post with if you feel any of the Auto Modes work for you then use them, and good for you.     
AS for me, and the response to that I was not giving a technical reason for using it, that is false.

I agree: if it works for you, that's fine.

There were a lot of false statements made in that thread. It's important to know when to fold 'em.

I shoot Nikon because it makes sense to me; I don't care for Canons. I shoot MM because it makes sense to me, and if thorough control isn't a technical reason, I don't know what is.

Photo Comments
9 years 9 months ago #382461 by Scotty

garyrhook wrote:

Joves wrote: I will preface this post with if you feel any of the Auto Modes work for you then use them, and good for you.     
AS for me, and the response to that I was not giving a technical reason for using it, that is false.

I agree: if it works for you, that's fine.

There were a lot of false statements made in that thread. It's important to know when to fold 'em.

I shoot Nikon because it makes sense to me; I don't care for Canons. I shoot MM because it makes sense to me, and if thorough control isn't a technical reason, I don't know what is.

Results are what matter. :cheers:

Photo Comments
9 years 9 months ago #382464 by Joe Vertz
Each have a purpose in my book.  I use aperture priority for nearly all my work, but for still shots like landscapes and macro, there is no substitute for manual mode.

Photo Comments
9 years 9 months ago #382473 by Scotty

Joves wrote:

garyrhook wrote:

Well even though I posted in the other thread. I will preface this post with if you feel any of the Auto Modes work for you then use them, and good for you.     
AS for me, and the response to that I was not giving a technical reason for using it, that is false. My technical reason was that Nikons at least I tend to find that they Over Expose in P,S, and A Modes. So for me I will never use them, and have not for a few years. Just stating that you can compensate that with the EC function is just another unnecessary step to me. How that can be considered better is beyond me, well as far as my shooting style goes. I can adjust my shutter speed, and aperture with the flick of a finger, and thumb at the same time to get what I want, and not have to go to a function button to reset if the lighting changes. In MM I just change either bot, or one setting with the wheels near the focus, and shutter release. Also all of you Modes as said are indeed decided by the meter, which I find over exposes most of the time, so your modes will over expose, or not expose correctly. This is why they left manual in.
And before I hear I do not know how to use EC then, or those Modes correctly. I do know how to use them, but do not care for them. Also I know what every function of my Picture Controls do as well, but am not arrogant enough to think that I can shoot solely in Jpeg. The first thing I have done with my cameras when I bought them was comparative shooting playing with the settings, and exposures. On the subject I think MM is far superior to Aperture Priority, or the other Modes. As far as having to watch, or forgetting to look at my meter when I am shooting, I do not even have to think about it, because it is second nature for me to see the settings.
So as I said if the Modes float your boat good for you, but don't try to make me sound like a luddite for thinking they are junk to me. Lets keep this civil.

Manual mode and aperture priority with the same settings, the needle in the middle will expose the exact same.

Photo Comments
9 years 9 months ago #382475 by Stealthy Ninja

Joves wrote:  My technical reason was that Nikons at least I tend to find that they Over Expose in P,S, and A Modes. .

The obvious solution is obvious. :kmonst:
9 years 9 months ago #382566 by Stealthy Ninja

Scotty wrote:

Joves wrote:

garyrhook wrote:

Manual mode and aperture priority with the same settings, the needle in the middle will expose the exact same.

This is true. If AP by some chance gives you the exact same settings as M, then it will be exactly the same... The point is, will AP give you the correct settings or will something in the scene confuse it?

As I said in the old thread (or something similar at least):
If your using EC, why not just go all the way and get full control with MM?

EC can change when light changes, therefore your settings get messed up (say you know that faces in the audience need X settings, then some strong back light comes behind them, maybe from the stage, using EC would make your setting way too dark for your subject (stupid camera).

EC might work for one shot, but don't expect it to be constant. If you want to have your settings to be constant, then manual is the only way to go.

Not saying auto modes and EC can't work, but they don't know light so well. Also, I only use the meter as a rough guide. I adjust according to my eyes, not what the dumb camera thinks is right.
9 years 9 months ago #382572 by butterflygirl921
I personally only shoot manual.  I like to have control over all the settings.  

9 years 9 months ago #382607 by Scotty

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

Scotty wrote:

Joves wrote:

garyrhook wrote:

This is true. If AP by some chance gives you the exact same settings as M, then it will be exactly the same... The point is, will AP give you the correct settings or will something in the scene confuse it?

EC can change when light changes, therefore your settings get messed up (say you know that faces in the audience need X settings, then some strong back light comes behind them, maybe from the stage, using EC would make your setting way too dark for your subject (stupid camera).

EC might work for one shot, but don't expect it to be constant. If you want to have your settings to be constant, then manual is the only way to go.

Not saying auto modes and EC can't work, but they don't know light so well. Also, I only use the meter as a rough guide. I adjust according to my eyes, not what the dumb camera thinks is right.

It's the same metering. If the scene messes up the meter in AP, it'll do the same in manual. That's why I depend on histogram and I don't think you'll disagree with me there.

Photo Comments
9 years 9 months ago #382608 by Hassner
My lighting situations change too quickly for me to not to shoot MM.
I will forget to change my over/under settings.
I do not look at my shots after every frame taken, so I might end up with flops.
Today I had to snap a lot of interiors. (Snap = point and shoot.)
Pointing the camera towards windows will underexpose the interior with 1-2 stops.
So MM makes sense to me.
Our topics differ. Whatever works for the individual.

This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
No one kicks up there feet next to the water cooler better than this person.  Top poster - LoungeLounge Guru
Photo Comments
9 years 9 months ago #382715 by Joves

Scotty wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote: Manual mode and aperture priority with the same settings, the needle in the middle will expose the exact same.

It's the same metering. If the scene messes up the meter in AP, it'll do the same in manual. That's why I depend on histogram and I don't think you'll disagree with me there.[/quote]

Why Yes Adrian you are correct. If you keep the metering centered then they will be the same settings. But since I know my D300 will blow highlights with the suggested exposure value, it is never centered. And the amount of under exposure I put in is determined by what light I am working with. Something that is more of a PITA in Aperture Mode to work out.

I do not even use my histogram, never have. Once I learn how a camera exposes there is no need for it. The one thing I love about digitals is that they are consistent, as where in the film days every film had its own little way of being different. That is why there is no love lost with film being gone.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Smartphone photos have come a long way in recent years. With their increase in quality comes the ability to create large prints. Learn why canvas is a great option for your phone photos!

Mar 29, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024