9 years 9 months ago #383202 by Fishtaco
What green box?  

Photo Comments
The topic has been locked.
9 years 9 months ago #383217 by Stealthy Ninja

Scotty wrote:

butterflygirl921 wrote:

Allen D wrote: Frankly I think shooting in Auto works the best :whistle:

Sometimes i do this too when i need to just get some quick pictures.  Or i do the most horrific thing and use my Iphone :ohmy:

lol sinner!

We all sin and fall short of the glory of Ken Rockwell.
9 years 9 months ago #383374 by Joves

Fishtaco wrote: What green box?  

:rofl:
I know with some I will get in trouble.
Here is the Green Box

9 years 9 months ago #383402 by william_cpa
For those of you aspiring Nat Geo photographers who want to learn something from PT and feel you are being dry humped by the 'I always shoot in manual' brigade,  take a good look at this  and carve it into your brain
9 years 9 months ago #383454 by Linda Duncan
OMG so bad, but that photo caught me off guard :rofl:

Photo Comments
9 years 9 months ago #383469 by garyrhook

william_cpa wrote: For those of you aspiring Nat Geo photographers who want to learn something from PT and feel you are being dry humped by the 'I always shoot in manual' brigade,  take a good look at this  and carve it into your brain

OMG let it go. There's nothing there that hasn't been discussed already in this thread.

A tenacious adherence to aperture-priority mode, despite clear, sanguine explanations as to the advantages of alternatives, doesn't make one right, it means one has a preference, albeit a strong one. That's fine, but it doesn't make everyone else wrong.

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leilanee
9 years 9 months ago - 9 years 9 months ago #383475 by william_cpa

garyrhook wrote:

william_cpa wrote: For those of you aspiring Nat Geo photographers who want to learn something from PT and feel you are being dry humped by the 'I always shoot in manual' brigade,  take a good look at this  and carve it into your brain

OMG let it go. There's nothing there that hasn't been discussed already in this thread.

A tenacious adherence to aperture-priority mode, despite clear, sanguine explanations as to the advantages of alternatives, doesn't make one right, it means one has a preference, albeit a strong one. That's fine, but it doesn't make everyone else wrong.

It is discussed there by somebody who is recognized as being one of the best in the world. It is discussed here by those who's resumes are distinctly lacking in such accolades.

A tenacious adherence to manual mode, despite clear, sanguine explanations as to the advantages of alternatives, doesn't make one right, it means one has a preference, albeit a strong one. That's fine, but it doesn't make everyone else wrong.

garyrhook wrote: The camera doesn't know what the hell I want. Why would I let it make any of the decisions? Why is that so difficult to understand? There is no mode other than manual that achieves that.

If it was correct, Gary, then we could understand it.

I have never advocated strict adherence to any mode. You have. Show me where I have advocated only using AP or admit you made it up. I have only pointed out the irresponsible nature of claiming that any particular mode is 'the only mode that allows me to fulfill my vision'. It is highly misleading to beginners here and patently false, especially since you have already informed us that you do not know how to use your camera in AP mode.

garyrhook wrote: So you're suggesting that, instead of futzing with the aperture control, it's more convenient to futz with exposure compensation?

I don't think that makes any sense at all. On my camera exposure compensation is a pain to get to, to I never use it. Easier to stick to the basic triangle, thankyouverymuch.

Now Gary, you know that little button you press so that you can adjust your aperture in MM? It is the exact same button you press to adjust exposure compensation in SP or AP.

There can, therefore, be no reasonable explanation for hijacking threads and puffing out your chest to pronounce 'I always shoot in MM' .

Edit: BTW, in case you feel I 'have it in for you', the vast majority of your posts show a commitment to helping others with highly intelligent and succinct advice
9 years 9 months ago #383519 by Leilanee

9 years 9 months ago - 9 years 9 months ago #383527 by hghlndr6

william_cpa wrote: ...Now Gary, you know that little button you press so that you can adjust your aperture in MM? It is the exact same button you press to adjust exposure compensation in SP or AP.... 

No, it is not.  When in Manual Mode, my aperture is adjusted by the Front Dial, which I work with a finger.  Shutter speed is adjusted by the Rear Dial, which I work with my thumb.  There is no button involved.  It is very easy to work both dials together with finger and thumb and so it is very easy to dial in any over/under.  Quicker than AP with EC too!

I probably work in AP most of the time.  Because, most of the time, aperture is my priority.  But, when EC is required, I'll go to manual because I can easily do the over/under ...quicker, without fumbling around for another button, and without taking my eye from the viewfinder.
9 years 9 months ago #383529 by Scotty

None of this means anything if you're doing studio/commercial work.

such as this.

http://www.davehill.com

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
9 years 9 months ago #383538 by butterflygirl921

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

Scotty wrote:

butterflygirl921 wrote:

Allen D wrote: Frankly I think shooting in Auto works the best :whistle:

Sometimes i do this too when i need to just get some quick pictures.  Or i do the most horrific thing and use my Iphone :ohmy:

lol sinner!

We all sin and fall short of the glory of Ken Rockwell.

We def do all sin once in a while 

9 years 9 months ago #383543 by butterflygirl921

william_cpa wrote:

garyrhook wrote:

It is discussed there by somebody who is recognized as being one of the best in the world. It is discussed here by those who's resumes are distinctly lacking in such accolades.

A tenacious adherence to manual mode, despite clear, sanguine explanations as to the advantages of alternatives, doesn't make one right, it means one has a preference, albeit a strong one. That's fine, but it doesn't make everyone else wrong.

garyrhook wrote: The camera doesn't know what the hell I want. Why would I let it make any of the decisions? Why is that so difficult to understand? There is no mode other than manual that achieves that.

If it was correct, Gary, then we could understand it.

I have never advocated strict adherence to any mode. You have. Show me where I have advocated only using AP or admit you made it up. I have only pointed out the irresponsible nature of claiming that any particular mode is 'the only mode that allows me to fulfill my vision'. It is highly misleading to beginners here and patently false, especially since you have already informed us that you do not know how to use your camera in AP mode.

garyrhook wrote: So you're suggesting that, instead of futzing with the aperture control, it's more convenient to futz with exposure compensation?

I don't think that makes any sense at all. On my camera exposure compensation is a pain to get to, to I never use it. Easier to stick to the basic triangle, thankyouverymuch.

Now Gary, you know that little button you press so that you can adjust your aperture in MM? It is the exact same button you press to adjust exposure compensation in SP or AP.

There can, therefore, be no reasonable explanation for hijacking threads and puffing out your chest to pronounce 'I always shoot in MM' .

Edit: BTW, in case you feel I 'have it in for you', the vast majority of your posts show a commitment to helping others with highly intelligent and succinct advice

"Facepalm" would you just give it up dude! REALLY!

9 years 9 months ago #383545 by william_cpa

hghlndr6 wrote:

william_cpa wrote: ...Now Gary, you know that little button you press so that you can adjust your aperture in MM? It is the exact same button you press to adjust exposure compensation in SP or AP.... 

No, it is not.  When in Manual Mode, my aperture is adjusted by the Front Dial, which I work with a finger.  Shutter speed is adjusted by the Rear Dial, which I work with my thumb.  There is no button involved.  It is very easy to work both dials together with finger and thumb and so it is very easy to dial in any over/under.  Quicker than AP with EC too!

I probably work in AP most of the time.  Because, most of the time, aperture is my priority.  But, when EC is required, I'll go to manual because I can easily do the over/under ...quicker, without fumbling around for another button, and without taking my eye from the viewfinder.

I appreciate this is the case for your camera. Gary has a D5100 with only one command dial.
9 years 9 months ago #383606 by butterflygirl921

Leilanee wrote:

I'm with you at this point lol 

9 years 9 months ago #383638 by Joves

butterflygirl921 wrote:

Leilanee wrote:

I'm with you at this point lol 

:rofl:
Yeah me too. It seems some see differing opinions as affronts to them personally. So the next part of this will be most likely my last in this.

Now :catfight:

william_cpa wrote:

hghlndr6 wrote:

william_cpa wrote: ...Now Gary, you know that
little button you press so that you can adjust your aperture in MM? It
is the exact same button you press to adjust exposure compensation in SP
or AP.... 

No, it is not.  When in Manual Mode, my aperture is adjusted by the Front Dial, which I work with a finger.
 Shutter speed is adjusted by the Rear Dial, which I work with my thumb.
 There is no button involved.  It is very easy to work both dials
together with finger and thumb and so it is very easy to dial in any
over/under.  Quicker than AP with EC too!

I probably work in AP most of the time.  Because, most of the time, aperture is my priority.
 But, when EC is required, I'll go to manual because I can easily do the
over/under ...quicker, without fumbling around for another button, and
without taking my eye from the viewfinder.

I appreciate this is the case for your camera. Gary has a D5100 with only one command dial.

To which I will say he is quite adept at using it in MM, judging by the photos I have seen from him on the VB site. I think he has won top photo like three times now at least, so that point is meaningless if someone actually knows their equipment. Which by the way is all that counts anytime in any pursuit in life. Superior skill will always trump, superior equipment. Now superior equipment helps, but not if you do not know what you are working with.
And like Bob I also have two dials on my D300. I personally will never own another camera without the two dials, nor the back AF button.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Baydream

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024

With these easy iPhone photography tips, you can maximize the functionality of your iPhone’s camera and get much-improved results for portraits, landscapes, and any other genre!

Apr 05, 2024