Getting out and selling a photo

9 years 9 months ago #383460 by Sean Lewitts
I've been told by a few that my photography is getting pretty good and that I should try selling some of my stuff.  Now granted the is coming from friends and family.  Either way whether they are bias or not, I would like to know what are the best stock sites for getting started with.  Are there other ways to market and sell photos? 

I'm new at this so, if you have any down to Earth advise to pass on, don't be shy.  Thank you.

9 years 9 months ago #383504 by ThatNikonGuy
Do you have a website?  Also you can try Etsy. 

Photo Comments
9 years 9 months ago #383510 by william_cpa
gettyimages.com are big.
9 years 9 months ago #383544 by Jacko
istock is a good one too

Photo Comments
9 years 9 months ago #383559 by JeremyS
If your interested in stock, I'd go with iStock first. And then branch out and try to get into getty or Shutterstock. Getting into Getty is difficult, however they keep an eye on the iStock people, because Getty owns iStock. So you can increase your chances of getting into Getty that way, I know they also keep a good eye on Flickr, where if Getty really wants your image, they will contact you to try and settle a deal. 

9 years 9 months ago #383603 by Little Kate

Takennnn wrote: If your interested in stock, I'd go with iStock first. And then branch out and try to get into getty or Shutterstock. Getting into Getty is difficult, however they keep an eye on the iStock people, because Getty owns iStock. So you can increase your chances of getting into Getty that way, I know they also keep a good eye on Flickr, where if Getty really wants your image, they will contact you to try and settle a deal. 

Really?  I didn't know that about Getting scouting habits.  Good tip.  Thank you

Photo Comments
9 years 9 months ago #383640 by Joves
Personally I would not use the stock sites, because the only ones making the money from them are the sites themselves. You are better off setting up your own site, and selling direct with printing through your host site. Now it is not easy, and takes some work to get the traffic there, but it can be done. What you want to learn to do is Search Engine Optimization, or SEO. If you do it correctly then you get on the first page of search engines. Just search for SEO, or how to do SEO more importantly.
Also you could make up some prints, and make a professional looking portfolio book, and go to local restaurants, gathering places, and doctors offices. You offer to give them free photos to hang up with you cards, or watermark pointing people to your site. 
Then there are things such as taking a real risk, and trying to sell directly to merchants. These would be postcards if you live in a tourist area. And even greeting cards, and larger prints. This all really depends on how hard you want to work to get there.

9 years 9 months ago #383650 by Carlos
Consignment

(2) Canon 7D, Canon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS, 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM, 50mm f/1.4 USM, 85mm f/1.8 USM, Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 HSM, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024