Cruise ship photographers

9 years 9 months ago #384705 by Ruben H
Are these guys employees of the cruise ships or freelance photographers?  

Photo Comments
9 years 9 months ago #384731 by effron
Probably contract photographers. You couldn't drag me onto one of those cruise ships.....:angry:

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
9 years 9 months ago #384744 by Alan Nunez
I did 5 years working on cruise ships in the South Pacific....massive party ships. Depending on the cruise line they are either employed by the cruise company or they contract a supplier to provide the photos. It can be fun if you are young. You get to travel to some very cool places. The photographic work is quite repetitive but you get plenty of time off to explore the ports and there some amazing things to see and photograph.

9 years 9 months ago #384755 by Farestad

effron wrote: Probably contract photographers. You couldn't drag me onto one of those cruise ships.....:angry:

I'm in the same boat as you.  No pun intended! 

EF 50mm f/1.4
EF 35mm f/1.4L USM
EF 100mm f/2
EF 70-200mm f/4
EF 18-55mm
EF 85mm f/1.8 USM

Photo Comments
9 years 9 months ago #384787 by garyrhook
I enjoy cruises, and would encourage any young person that wanted to travel to look into them.

Yes, the work is repetitive, and you don't get do-overs. However, it could be entertaining, a great way to meet people, and give you a chance to see places you might never see.  If I were much younger and unattached I would go for it.

Photo Comments
9 years 9 months ago #384905 by william_cpa

garyrhook wrote: I enjoy cruises, and would encourage any young person that wanted to travel to look into them.

Yes, the work is repetitive, and you don't get do-overs. However, it could be entertaining, a great way to meet people, and give you a chance to see places you might never see.  If I were much younger and unattached I would go for it.

Fully agree. An excellent education and life experience. Don't go for the seasonal changeover transatlantic cruises unless your taste in daily company extends well into the geriatric bracket (not saying there is anything wrong with that, just bringing it up for the sake of full disclosure).
9 years 9 months ago #384913 by Sandy Smith Photos
Oh no, not for me.  With all the accidents and nonsense on cruise ships, I'll stay on land thank you!

Photo Comments
9 years 9 months ago #384971 by Roy Wilson
I would guess these photographers are actual employees.  Kind of like the JC Penny or Walmart photographers 

Canon 5D Mark II, 30D, 40D, 50 1.2L, 16-35 2.8L Mark II, 24-105 4L IS, 24-70 2.8L, 70-200 2.8L IS, 85 1.8, 4 x 580 EX(II)
Photo Comments
9 years 9 months ago #384993 by Randy Shaw
So I wonder what they get paid?

Photo Comments
9 years 8 months ago #385040 by Alan Nunez

william_cpa wrote:

garyrhook wrote: I enjoy cruises, and would encourage any young person that wanted to travel to look into them.

Fully agree. An excellent education and life experience. Don't go for the seasonal changeover transatlantic cruises unless your taste in daily company extends well into the geriatric bracket (not saying there is anything wrong with that, just bringing it up for the sake of full disclosure).

Yeah if you get on something like a world cruise the passengers are old and the night life is pretty bad but the places you get to see are awesome.

If you want fun jump on a ship based out of Sydney Australia! 

9 years 8 months ago #385087 by Howard T
I would bet these photographers are employees.  Not for me, I would be sea sick the entire time.  

Photo Comments
9 years 8 months ago #385168 by Moe

Howard T wrote: I would bet these photographers are employees.  Not for me, I would be sea sick the entire time.  

+1 for me

Photo Comments
9 years 8 months ago - 9 years 8 months ago #385204 by Stealthy Ninja
I went on a cruise once. The waterskiing was disappointing and frankly dangerous... oh wait, there wasn't any waterskiing... :toocrazy:
9 years 8 months ago #385391 by ubookoo
I checked with one of our employees who used to be a photographer on cruise ships. He was in his 20's and said that he was an IC and mainly relied on tips. However he said he didn't care because the free food, travel, sun, staff relationships and everyday party atmosphere was worth it.

9 years 8 months ago #385425 by JeremyS
Couldnt pay me to do that. I understand the travel portion of it, however personally I've been lucky enough to have travelled to the majority of those places already.

I compare those photographers to the photographers at theme parks, which I was just at, they were shooting with a entry level dslr and a terrible lighting setup.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024