What kind of photo tour would you like?

9 years 8 months ago #388218 by Oahu Photo
The Lava photography is tricky. You should contact Kalapana Tours in the Puna area for info. The lava has changed course in the last year and the ocean flow vent is dead. Since the flow was on private property you did need to have a permit to hike out ... or know the right people. If the flow moves back into the park you could walk out alone. I will tell you though, I have walked out there alone and it is a little spooky. I knew what I was doing and looking for but some people have been trapped out there for days not knowing where to step. You can witness the glow of Halemaumau at night since the park is open 24 hrs. You can get some great shots of the volcano and the stars above.
9 years 8 months ago #388221 by Ottis
Easy - the Byodo Temple

Photo Comments
9 years 8 months ago #388241 by Frost Photography
I'd be happy with getting onto any of the remote beaches with plenty of rocks and palm trees to get those shots in interesting foregrounds and subject matter.

"The quickest way to make money at photography is to sell your camera."
Photo Comments
9 years 8 months ago #388387 by ubookoo
I would love to tour the island and stop at all the local little pubs and restaurants. I would be happy shooting, tasting the local food (except fried spam) and sipping a Mai Tai at each location.

9 years 8 months ago #388510 by Uplander

ubookoo wrote: I would love to tour the island and stop at all the local little pubs and restaurants. I would be happy shooting, tasting the local food (except fried spam) and sipping a Mai Tai at each location.

Ummm that sounds good! We head out there in November, looking forward to those Mai Tai's! 

Photo Comments
9 years 8 months ago #388563 by Roman Omell
The free one! :rofl:

I can't believe no one made that comment yet! 

Seriously, we love the beaches on islands out there.  IMO, you go to Hawaii to experience the beaches and coast lines. 

Photo Comments
9 years 8 months ago - 9 years 8 months ago #388629 by Oahu Photo
I think your pictures might get a little blurry after two Mai Tai's and if you're going to try the local food you better give the fried spam a try or you'll miss out completely. 

- Take a look at the group page for Hawaii Travel and Photography. The cover photograph is of a beach we go to on the some of our tours as well as plenty more of these types of beaches that have nobody out here. Beaches like this are around every corner in Hawaii. 

- The local market types of stops have become so tourist driven it wouldn't be what you were expecting. So that's a tuff one cause I personally don't like to charge people for what I think is not worth it. 

- currently I am working on introducing 4 new tours to the list of what we do out here. The one I think I am most excited about is a night tour with fireworks, light painting, steel wool, long exposers of traffic, city graffiti and possibly stars. We went out last week and the last night to start putting together this tour. Here is a shot of the Fireworks from Waikiki and the Full Moon from another spot we might do. We already have a full moon tour going but I just wanted to share this with you guys. 

-would this be something you might be interested in?

9 years 8 months ago #388633 by Oscar Cohen
Fireworks are always fun to photograph, too bad they come just once a year.  So your night one sounds promising to me.  Not sure what you talking about with the steel wool (?), however the rest would compliment the fireworks.  Do you have a spot where these go off nightly or will you be setting them off yourself?  

BTW your two shots are really sharp and work for me.  On the first one, did you use a magenta filter?  

Photo Comments
9 years 8 months ago #388636 by Oahu Photo
Hey Oscar,

The fireworks go off every Friday night in Waikiki at 7:45. The first shot had a .3 BW ND filter on it and then I played around with the it in Lightroom. The sunset behind was a very nice pink/purple color so it bounced well on the sky towards the moon. Try to google steel wool photography, you might like it. Of course the guides would be doing this and everyone else will be shooting. We have a few epic spots near a beach with lava rocks to do thins one on. 
9 years 8 months ago #389117 by Oahu Photo
Has anyone ever been on a whale watching photography tour?
9 years 8 months ago #391608 by Jason Oldman
Is there a better time of the year to visit for the rain forest?  My wife and I went on a whale watching tour a couple years ago off cost of California.  We didn't see any, but it was nice getting out on the water regardless.  We were told it's certain times of the year are the best for whale watching.   

Photo Comments
9 years 8 months ago #391661 by garyrhook
Whales migrate seasonally. You'll want to look up when they're in Hawaii vs. Alaska.

Photo Comments
9 years 8 months ago #391898 by MYoung
LOL  I was just watching about kids in Hawaii jumping on the worlds largest slip and slid.  Do tours end up there?  

Photo Comments
9 years 8 months ago #392033 by Oahu Photo
The rain forest out here is allay wet. Kauai will have the most average rainfall but all of the otter islands have some type of rainforest and wetlands. If you decide to go hiking in the rainforest you need to be aware of any chance of flash flood in the area. You can simply look at Hawaii News Now weather or NOAA web sites. If there is any possible chance of heavy rain ... do not go.

The Humpback whales will start showing up in mid November and hang around until mid April maybe even into late May. The best time by far for the whales will be in February to early March. At this time the mother will have given birth, the calves will be full of energy and the males will be singing and breaching. If you go on any dives surging this time make sure you try to listen for the whales, it's an amazing sound. 

The slip n slide is outside of Waikiki in Waimanalo. The kids are trespassing but nobody cares. It is a water reservoir for the farms in the area. We do get about three blocks away from this spot but that's about it. 

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Smartphone photos have come a long way in recent years. With their increase in quality comes the ability to create large prints. Learn why canvas is a great option for your phone photos!

Mar 29, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024