Frame construction for canvas print that is 60" wide 36" tall?

9 years 9 months ago #389394 by Stanly
Are you building this yourself or buying a canvas print and checking to see what it should be built at? 

Nikon Z6 | Nikon FM10 | Nikon D80 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8D | Nikon 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S VR | 35-105mm f/3.5 Macro | 80-200mm f/4.5 | SB600 | Pocket Wizard II
Photo Comments
9 years 9 months ago #389507 by Meskill
Regardless of who is making it, as Joves pointed out make sure you have no knots in the wood.  I'm talking from experience on this one! :pinch:

Photo Comments
9 years 9 months ago #389658 by Randy Shaw
At what point do you need to start worrying about a large frame bending with even the slightest amount of moisture?

Photo Comments
9 years 9 months ago - 9 years 9 months ago #389707 by Awediot
The wood a tightly stretched canvas is wrapped on can bow and warp over time in a humid environment before a frame (which often adds strength to the canvas' structure) does... Rule of thumb: hard, quality wood...the wider, the longer it's lifetime... But, unless slated for a museum quality existence, it will 'warp' over decades. - One big factor to consider in such a large frame is how it is hung, and where. Avoid excessive temp changes and humidity...an inside wall is best, and don't hang it with a wire. Use brackets made to support the sides individually and balance out the weight...

If you aren't set on needing real wood, they make beautiful mouldings from composite materials that look exactly like wood, or stone, ceramic, gold, metal etc. that will solve any warping issue.

9 years 9 months ago #389743 by Lisa Brookhurst
Thank you all for your help on this.  Actually I'm buying a number of larger prints for my home and was curious on what the frame should be.  I want to make sure I'm getting what I'm supposed too for prints this size.   

9 years 9 months ago #389843 by ThatNikonGuy
Best rule of thumb is to avoid smaller companies when buying your canvas, those companies are more likely to take shortcuts in build quality.  Just my 2 cents. 

Photo Comments
9 years 9 months ago #389854 by garyrhook
Now that we have more of a context for the question, I'll add my $0.02.

The wood should be of good quality: ash, or maple, perhaps? Something solid. And for that size there probably should be cross-bracing in a triangular shape, to prevent distortion of the frame.

Just a thought.

Photo Comments
9 years 9 months ago #389904 by Lisa Brookhurst
Again, thank you all for help.  One place I was looking at ordering a canvas print was 500px.  But I can't seem to find who is doing the printing and providing the frame?  Would be nice to know who would be printing and their reputation. 

Anyone happen to know this? 

Lisa

9 years 9 months ago #389926 by Vahrenkamp

Lisa Brookhurst wrote: Again, thank you all for help.  One place I was looking at ordering a canvas print was 500px.  But I can't seem to find who is doing the printing and providing the frame?  Would be nice to know who would be printing and their reputation. 

Lisa

Not a clue, perhaps Bay photo? 

Photo Comments
9 years 9 months ago #389954 by Awediot
Google "canvas prints reviews"... A wealth of info to wade through...

9 years 9 months ago #390065 by Connie K Photos

Lisa Brookhurst wrote: Again, thank you all for help.  One place I was looking at ordering a canvas print was 500px.  But I can't seem to find who is doing the printing and providing the frame?  Would be nice to know who would be printing and their reputation. 

Lisa

Canvaspop

Photo Comments
9 years 9 months ago #390168 by Crazyguy

Connie K Photos wrote:

Lisa

Canvaspop

Not since 2013

An Irishman is not drunk as long as he can hold on to one blade of grass to keep from falling off the world.
Photo Comments
9 years 9 months ago #390246 by Lisa Brookhurst

Crazyguy wrote:

Connie K Photos wrote:

Lisa

Canvaspop

Not since 2013

Yes, I found that out.  Thank you.  I don't know why they don't have it listed on their site.  Seems to me, photographers would want to know who is printing and 500px would want to share this.  I have sent email and still waiting on answer.  :dry:

9 years 9 months ago #390350 by Ottis
That is strange, all I could find was Canvas pop.  Perhaps they are doing their own canvas work now.  

Photo Comments
9 years 9 months ago #390925 by Roman Omell
Hmmm, I thought it was Canvas Pops too

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024