Question about safety vs being rude?

9 years 9 months ago #389373 by Stacy Craig
A friend of a friend of a friend just referred a single father and his son to me for a portrait session.  I just spoke to the father who wants to hire me to take photos of him and his son at their home.  Apparently his son graduates this year from high school and is a big football player.  They have a sports room they want the photos taken in.  

My question is: would it be rude to show up with a guy assistant, just to be safe?  

Photo Comments
9 years 9 months ago #389379 by Alan Nunez
Not rude at all. Your safety should always come first!

9 years 9 months ago #389381 by Paris Gal
I wouldn't think twice about it.  You are going into their home and no offense to any men here, but those are two guys, you are one women.  Going in there with a male assistant isn't rude, that's smart.  

5D mark II gripped | Canon 100L | Canon 85 1.8 | Sigma 50 1.4 | Tamron 28-75 2.8 | 580ex II | 430ex II x 2 |
Photo Comments
9 years 9 months ago #389392 by Stanly
If you are uncomfortable about any situation, make sure you keep yourself safe

Nikon Z6 | Nikon FM10 | Nikon D80 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8D | Nikon 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S VR | 35-105mm f/3.5 Macro | 80-200mm f/4.5 | SB600 | Pocket Wizard II
Photo Comments
9 years 9 months ago #389406 by Stealthy Ninja
I really don't think they're going to be offended... why would they?!
9 years 9 months ago #389479 by effron
What makes you think a "guy" assistant would be safe? .......:P

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
9 years 9 months ago #389480 by IzzieK
I do not know where you are from but here in MO we are allowed to carry conceal. Never leave home without it. As for your question, no it is not rude to bring a male assistant. I would bring one who also have a conceal carry and knows what he is doing.

Safety first, never last.
Have a future, not a past.
Izzie

9 years 9 months ago #389523 by Meskill
+1 always protect yourself and be prepared.  

Photo Comments
9 years 9 months ago #389558 by ubookoo
Always trust your inner voice about safety issues! Also, great idea to find a male assistant who loves football and can build a rapport with your clients while you concentrate on shooting.

9 years 9 months ago #389566 by EOS_Fan
I wouldn't think twice about it.  Bring the person along

Photo Comments
9 years 9 months ago #389605 by Owen
 :agree:    good post too

Photo Comments
9 years 9 months ago #389615 by garyrhook
Some thoughts to share with the OP, and for the entertainment of others:

A) If you are at all unsure about this engagement, on any level, why haven't you declined it?

2) Since when would it be rude to have an assistant? Anyone with you is purportedly there primarily to work; anything beyond that is of no consequence to the customer.

C) Open carry? Seriously? That's just offensive. If I hired someone to come to my home and they showed up packing, I'd stop them at the door because I wouldn't trust them in my home. That would be the end of any business relationship.

D) You can't talk football? You need a man for that? I would find that offensive on any number of levels, perhaps more so than (C) above. One presumes you have the ability to build a rapport with your client. If you can't find some way to do that I daresay the session may not go very well. They may be superfans / jocks, but one hopes they are not one-dimensional.

You might want to rethink this entire situation. In any event, good luck.

Photo Comments
9 years 9 months ago #389626 by icepics
Do you typically do photo sessions in clients' homes? I was wondering if this was a standard practice for you or not.

I've done work (not photography related) doing home visits which included the possibility of having a therapist from my team with me at the visit (depending on what services were being provided). Families were informed when they enrolled that a therapist, coordinator, or other staff person might participate in the visits. If there ever was a situation where a staff person felt uncomfortable or unsafe going alone, there was the option to ask a supervisor to go along or discuss options to be safe - most concerns would be related to safety in neighborhoods where there was frequent drug related activity etc. but there were times that it seemed better to not go alone for various reasons. 

I don't see a problem taking someone with you but would let the client know you'll be bringing an assistant (and have some things in mind for the person to do and actually assist in some way). If you're working freelance and going into clients' homes it seems like you're basically out there on your own so maybe this is a good time to think about if you're covered for a variety of situations you might encounter.

And no, I don't think going into someone's home carrying a weapon would be a good idea at all, especially a family or where there will be children present. I think Izzie if someone felt they needed that level of protection it would be better to not go at all and let the client find someone else.

Sharon
Photo Comments
9 years 9 months ago #389629 by icepics
And I couldn't talk football but I could talk hockey all day!

I agree with Gary that if a photographer does this type work it's going to involve being able to develop rapport with clients. I've done sports, but if a photographer isn't into doing sports-related photo sessions maybe think about whether to take on this type shoot or refer the family elsewhere.

Sharon
Photo Comments
9 years 9 months ago #389756 by Lisa Brookhurst
Gary brings up some very good points (A and 2) here.  

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024