Friendly reminder

9 years 9 months ago #389408 by Alex
Hi friends,

As a large public community, a forum can become a melting pot for different personalities to gather and occasionally bump heads.  One challenge with communicating via text vs voice is that words become much sharper and can carry greater unintentional weight.  As result the compound effect swings in the wrong direction.  Over the years I have spoken with a number of the members on this board and noticed there are so many similarities with you all.  One most notable attribute is you all seem to have a serious interest in photography (strange huh ;)  ), you all enjoy helping others, and above all... you all have been super likeable! 

We all have crummy days, we all have said things we didn't mean, and we all have been misunderstood at one time or another.  A forum full of sharp and heavier perceived words can magnify all this on the wrong day... so if you are getting rubbed the wrong way, or just not mixing well with someone.  Grab some fresh air, a beer, tea, pop or what ever your drink is.  If you want to communicate with that person to clear the air, do so via a private message.  I have found by giving a 'situation' a few hours, before I 'react' allows me to think clearer, be less emotional, and respond with a message that is more likely to defuse the situation while making a very focused point.  If you have any further questions about our forum terms of use... feel free to view them here.  

Thank you all for your understanding, cooperation and above all, for being the best part of this community!

As always kind regards,

Alex

Thank you for making PhotographyTalk.com your photography community of choice.
Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: effron, Uplander, Conner, Adam Nagle, ThatNikonGuy, Ruby Grace, Ottis, william_cpa
The topic has been locked.
9 years 9 months ago #389669 by Alex
Hi Friends,

First off let me start by thanking those who took the time to read my original post from last night.  As many of you know, I started this company with the idea to provide an environment that would help people become better photographers, be inspired and meet like minded, great people like you.  One of my favorite quotes that has always resonated with special meaning to me is by Mahatma Gandhi "be the change we wish to see in the world."  There are many directions I can go with this, and how this thought has framed up some of the pillars that hold up the foundation here.  

Second... for those who did make a comment in this thread, and now see it gone.  Please accept my apology as I removed all from this thread.  In my original post I spoke about my opinion of how I respond to tricky situations:  I have found by giving a 'situation' a few hours, before I 'react' allows me to think clearer, be less emotional, and respond with a message that is more likely to defuse the situation while making a very focused point.  I share this as there were many "Reactions".  Many of you wrote great responses and I thank you for those.  To remove the inappropriate ('reactive' posts that were picking up momentum) it was easier just to remove all in one go. 

Third... there seems to have been some confusion about titles... let me give a super high level cliff note version of all the titles & roles on this site:

Member  {Registered users who are welcomed to use the site's free services} - Thank you for being part of the community

pt+ members
   {Supporting members who have paid an annual subscription and have access to Premium Benefits of the site}  - Thank you for your support 

Vendor
  {Companies/Individuals who have a product or service that is marketable to photography enthusiast, who are paying to have commercial usage of the site (basically they can talk/promote their product/service within the community, and clearly marked "Vendor")} - Thank you for supporting the site and community members

Agents
  {Members who have volunteered to act as moderators in the community} - Thank you for supporting the community

Admins  {Many of the creative minds behind this site: Programmers, Designers and Logistical Staff}  - Thank you for being part of the team

Founder {Well that's me}. 

NONE of these titles give anyone the right to disrespect, insult, troll, intentionally provoke any person regardless of title on this community.   Just to clarify one step further: PhotographyTalk does not condone this sort of behavior.  There is a time and place for everything.  If you don't get along with someone, either take the discussion offline in hopes of a more private diplomatic handshake/settlement of views OR just completely avoid that person(s).  

If you have any further questions about our forum terms of use... feel free to view them here.  

Thank you all for your understanding, cooperation and above all, for being the best part of this community!

As always kind regards,

Alex

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: Stealthy Ninja
9 years 9 months ago #389779 by Alex
 Final thought on this subject came to me last night.  I'm a big reader and enjoy books on personal development, entrepreneurship or just business in general.  Any rate... I'm reading a new book by one of my favorite authors Bob Burg called 'Adversaries into Allies' .  Whether its a physical books or it's read on my iPad, I always have a highlighter marking up pages with terms or points that resonate with me.  Each day after I read, I review all my highlights too process and reflect. 

I'm sharing this page from last nights reading, not only do I find the timing ironic, I believe we all should consider this when posting and interacting with others.  Consider this food for thought... 

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: ThatNikonGuy, Ruby Grace, Ottis, Lisa Brookhurst, IzzieK

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024