Creatarium : Teaching Creativity?

9 years 9 months ago #390407 by Awediot
Can creativity/imagination be taught...or the amount one is born with enhanced? - I hear "no" most of the time, and disagree...

For example: the theme of a photo contest is "Summer Fun"... Imagine the top 5 winning pieces (we'll all picture mostly the same things). Now, don't allow yourself to do any of them...

That slightly lost, sense of wonder and need to explore you may be feeling is the sensation of imagination stocking it's prey...

Thoughts?

Tips?

[I'd love to create a tutorial on Creativity out of this...]

9 years 9 months ago #390425 by Scotty

Awediot wrote: Can creativity/imagination be taught...or the amount one is born with enhanced? - I hear "no" most of the time, and disagree...

For example: the theme of a photo contest is "Summer Fun"... Imagine the top 5 winning pieces (we'll all picture mostly the same things). Now, don't allow yourself to do any of them...

That slightly lost, sense of wonder and need to explore you may be feeling is the sensation of imagination stocking it's prey...

Thoughts?

Tips?

[I'd love to create a tutorial on Creativity out of this...]

Creativity is limited to you being a product of your enviroment.  Value is dictated by moral obligation set by survival.  In terms of broadening that horizon, there is a wealth of info with a simple google search to expanding the way you see things.

A very archaic and simplistic excerise is to try to find letters of the alphanet in natural or unnatural things in the enviroment.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
9 years 9 months ago - 9 years 9 months ago #390433 by Awediot
Yes...breaking down our conventional thinking, expending our perceptions...leaving that comfort zone to explore new ways to view things is, to say the least, a bitch. We are products of our environments, upbringing, brainwashing yadda yadda blah... We can blame those things until we realize we can blame them, then they just start sounding like excuses.

A very archaic and simplistic excerise is to try to find letters of the alphanet in natural or unnatural things in the enviroment.

Yes... And faces often peer out at us through clouds, tree bark, sink faucets... pareidolia ...

Simply shifting the angle of view can jar us out of our visual rut as well... Shoot UP at flowers. Take some Christmas shots from the gift's pov. Get your camera to take a selfie in the middle of the night while you are asleep... Make a classic fruit bowl still life without using anything organic...

9 years 9 months ago #390456 by icepics
My background is in education/child development - we know that people have abilities and there are ways to enhance or develop those abilities. So it's possible to teach ways to develop creativity; there are techniques such as asking questions or bringing attention to aspects of something (if a child is coloring, you can talk about things like describing it, is it big? bright? did you use lots of crayons? what happens if you use big strokes? what happens if you make dots? what happens if you press hard/or light? etc. etc.).

I had to go look up that term but yeah, we can look at clouds and see something there, we can use our imaginations - our minds naturally tend to try to make something out of a pattern or shapes or tones etc. and create something out of what we see - our minds can 'fill in the blanks' and fill in something like a missing letter, our brains tend to want to finish something we see to make it complete.

I don't know as adults if we're so likely to play, to let our creativity flow; but I think it's possible to let your mind wander and let creativity happen, and to give yourself experiences that can help enhance creativity. 

Sharon
Photo Comments
9 years 9 months ago #390480 by Awediot

icepics wrote: My background is in education/child development - we know that people have abilities and there are ways to enhance or develop those abilities.

we can use our imaginations - our minds naturally tend to try to make something out of a pattern or shapes or tones etc. and create something out of what we see - our minds can 'fill in the blanks' and fill in something like a missing letter, our brains tend to want to finish something we see to make it complete.

Too many are too quick to brush off the idea of being able to teach, enhance, and PRACTICE creativity or imagination. It is seen as a rare talent a person is essentially born with or not. - You can't simply pick "Artist" from the list of things you want to be when you grow up unless you are already predisposed to "IT"... And while all true, it is also one of those fraction of a truth things...

To truly want to be an artist is to be called by some annoying muse. Imagination can wash over you, well up from inside, be absorbed from the surroundings or as often as not, relentlessly poke you in the temple until you somehow produce that weird thought that refuses to just fade away... Original thinking seems appealing and can be. It can also make sending your girlfriend your ear a perfectly reasonable thing to do... It's a door that blows off the hinges and goes out alone to find Dorothy, leaving us amazed at how dull things are allowed to be.

I don't know as adults if we're so likely to play, to let our creativity flow; but I think it's possible to let your mind wander and let creativity happen, and to give yourself experiences that can help enhance creativity. 

As adults, creativity is mostly left to the flakes, the superstars and little kids play... "Whimsical" is sort of beneath sensible grown ups who have a real world to keep running... Those artsy fartsy sorts still need electricity, food, good roads and The Norm to twist into their "work"... Business first. It just never ends.

I like "let your mind wander" and "let creativity happen"... It is very much an exercise in setting the conventional patterns of thought aside to see what replaces them rather than focusing on a different mode we keep in drawer for special occasions... We don't know what thinking differently feels like, at first (it feels silly), nor how to stop the cyclical stream usually recycling through us... "New" needs room, and moments of quite to sinks it's teeth into...

>Contradiction, juxtaposition and paradox tend to force us to find a resolution from between the lines and where the cracks appear... Take your next pics of the kids wildly out of context...playing in traffic...paying the bill...scolding mom and dad... Polished into new little outfits and propped into an idyllic park or showroom setting to capture the instant they settle down and perform a smile can be wonderful. Cherish the frame worthy memory forever...then dump a chocolate shake on their head and capture that stunned indignation... Bet that's the moment and shot that becomes permanent family history.

9 years 9 months ago #390518 by Stealthy Ninja
No
9 years 9 months ago - 9 years 9 months ago #390520 by Leilanee

Stealthy Ninja wrote: No

:lol:

Yeah, this topic does not merit a wordy argument by my standpoint nah, this merits a wordy argument, but my opinion on it remains in the last thread.
Creativity is defined as looking outside the box and applying your own unique ideas to a common theme.  You can't teach someone to be creative.  Other people's creativity can inspire you to practice your own creativity in a similar way, but the definition of the word remains the same:
-If you copy an idea that's been done before, however well done it may be, it's not a product of creativity.
-If you can come up with a unique take on something that inspired you, then that is creativity.

Creativity is a talent.  It's what separates truly fantastic and inspirational artists from the mediocre ones.  It cannot be taught, only inspired.  If you learned "your" creativity from someone else, then you're really just utilizing their creative ideas and calling it your own.

Let's look at the word "creative".  "Creative" is a descriptive word, referring to a person who is capable of creating.
The word "create" is defined as: "to cause to come into being, as something unique that would not naturally evolve or that is not made by ordinary processes. " and "to evolve from one's own thought or imagination, as a work of art  or an invention. "

It refers completely and entirely to oneness.  It is a descriptor that shows that one person has the means of making something completely new or unseen before, either with use or help of something that was already there, or without any help at all.

I think what you MEAN to say in place of "creativity" is "inspiration".

I can honestly and shamelessly say that not a single piece of mine is creative.  I don't think I'm a bad artist.  I do tons of stuff I'm super proud of.  But all of my ideas either stem from others I have seen done before or are multiple different techniques and ideas I've gathered from other inspirational artists and pieced together.
My stuff is not unique, but I'm proud of it.

We all need to get out of that stupid fantasy idea that we are all a unique snowflake and that everything in the world is possible if we just try harder already.
Some people are creative, some aren't.  Deal with it.

9 years 9 months ago #390521 by Leilanee

Awediot wrote: Make a classic fruit bowl still life without using anything organic...

Actually all fruit is organic.

9 years 9 months ago #390529 by Stealthy Ninja

Leilanee wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote: No

:lol:

Yeah, this topic does not merit a wordy argument by my standpoint nah, this merits a wordy argument, but my opinion on it remains in the last thread.
Creativity is defined as looking outside the box and applying your own unique ideas to a common theme.  You can't teach someone to be creative.  Other people's creativity can inspire you to practice your own creativity in a similar way, but the definition of the word remains the same:
-If you copy an idea that's been done before, however well done it may be, it's not a product of creativity.
-If you can come up with a unique take on something that inspired you, then that is creativity.

Creativity is a talent.  It's what separates truly fantastic and inspirational artists from the mediocre ones.  It cannot be taught, only inspired.  If you learned "your" creativity from someone else, then you're really just utilizing their creative ideas and calling it your own.

Let's look at the word "creative".  "Creative" is a descriptive word, referring to a person who is capable of creating.
The word "create" is defined as: "to cause to come into being, as something unique that would not naturally evolve or that is not made by ordinary processes. " and "to evolve from one's own thought or imagination, as a work of art  or an invention. "

It refers completely and entirely to oneness.  It is a descriptor that shows that one person has the means of making something completely new or unseen before, either with use or help of something that was already there, or without any help at all.

I can honestly and shamelessly say that not a single piece of mine is creative.  I don't think I'm a bad artist.  I do tons of stuff I'm super proud of.  But all of my ideas either stem from others I have seen done before or are multiple different techniques and ideas I've gathered from other inspirational artists and pieced together.

We all need to get out of that stupid fantasy idea that we are all a unique snowflake and that everything in the world is possible if we just try harder already.
Some people are creative, some aren't.  The Deal with it.

Your wrong.
9 years 9 months ago #390530 by Leilanee
You're*

9 years 9 months ago #390545 by MajorMagee
Yes, but you can't fix stupid.

9 years 9 months ago #390546 by Leilanee

MajorMagee wrote: Yes, but you can't fix stupid.

:rofl:

9 years 9 months ago #390576 by Awediot
img\def

9 years 9 months ago - 9 years 9 months ago #390581 by Awediot

Leilanee wrote: ... nah, this merits a wordy argument, but my opinion on it remains in the last thread.

I think icepics nailed it pretty well...

icepics wrote: So it's possible to teach ways to develop creativity; there are techniques such as asking questions or bringing attention to aspects of
something (if a child is coloring, you can talk about things like
describing it, is it big? bright? did you use lots of crayons? what
happens if you use big strokes? what happens if you make dots? what
happens if you press hard/or light? etc. etc.).

Some are inspired by others' creativity to learn how to be more creative...and creative people do have specific, tried and true techniques which helped them, and can guide a 'student' into unfamiliar ways of seeing the world and thinking about it. You don't teach someone to arrive at the same ideas you do. You teach them a process which lets their unique take on life shine through.

Creativity is a talent.  It's what separates truly fantastic and inspirational artists from the mediocre ones.  It cannot be taught, only inspired. 

It is a talent some have a predisposition for and are naturally good at... Others, not so much, but no one is devoid of imagination... It can be taught, inspired, neglected and pushed away...like most anything else.

Let's look at the word "creative"...

Thanks for the definition and your perspective on it... I don't so much as disagree with a lot of what you say as I think you don't think it through and are sort of stuck on what is googleable... If we look at the concept of "Create", we must acknowledge we don't even really do that. We at best RE-Create from the elements already given to us... We invented the wheel. not create the circle. We made torches and ovens, lighters and gunpowder. We didn't invent fire. We were driven by the want to communicate and utilized natural waves and beams of energy in order to spread our words as quickly and far as possible...and we did come up with smart phones, but they do the same things we have always been able to do... We can't create a new color or basic shape, musical note or flavor, but we can combine an infinite number of things into what hasn't existed quite in that way before, and call it 'new'.

The part inspiration plays is important, and it is good you brought it up...but no. They are quite different things.

Truly..good for you. The talent it takes to produce an appealing piece of still one of a kind art doesn't depend on it's novelty... If it takes work and thought, you earn the right to be a little proud...

Half-truth leap to a red herring, followed by the trending , demeaning catch phrase that implies one who disagrees just needs to 'deal with it'...as though if they were, they'd either comp[agree with you or shut up already.

Well, we are all made of the same grey matter soul stuff which defines us as sharing the same human nature, but no two people have gone through the exact same circumstances, nor found their doppleganger...

The point of this thread is to try and inspire one another with the ways we have discovered, or been taught, as to increasing and enhancing whatever level of creativity we bring to the table.... May I suggest you not underestimate your ability to learn new things...even how to be more creative if you want to... If you think that impossible you'll never seek it out, and that's your prerogative, but simply, you are wrong. Everyone has the capacity to become a better, more unique, productive and wilder thinker...if they want to.

It is however...overrated in some ways...

9 years 9 months ago #390603 by Scotty

Awediot wrote:

Leilanee wrote: ... nah, this merits a wordy argument, but my opinion on it remains in the last thread.

I think icepics nailed it pretty well...

icepics wrote: So it's possible to teach ways to develop creativity; there are techniques such as asking questions or bringing attention to aspects of
something (if a child is coloring, you can talk about things like
describing it, is it big? bright? did you use lots of crayons? what
happens if you use big strokes? what happens if you make dots? what
happens if you press hard/or light? etc. etc.).

Some are inspired by others' creativity to learn how to be more creative...and creative people do have specific, tried and true techniques which helped them, and can guide a 'student' into unfamiliar ways of seeing the world and thinking about it. You don't teach someone to arrive at the same ideas you do. You teach them a process which lets their unique take on life shine through.

Creativity is a talent.  It's what separates truly fantastic and inspirational artists from the mediocre ones.  It cannot be taught, only inspired. 

It is a talent some have a predisposition for and are naturally good at... Others, not so much, but no one is devoid of imagination... It can be taught, inspired, neglected and pushed away...like most anything else.

Let's look at the word "creative"...

Thanks for the definition and your perspective on it... I don't so much as disagree with a lot of what you say as I think you don't think it through and are sort of stuck on what is googleable... If we look at the concept of "Create", we must acknowledge we don't even really do that. We at best RE-Create from the elements already given to us... We invented the wheel. not create the circle. We made torches and ovens, lighters and gunpowder. We didn't invent fire. We were driven by the want to communicate and utilized natural waves and beams of energy in order to spread our words as quickly and far as possible...and we did come up with smart phones, but they do the same things we have always been able to do... We can't create a new color or basic shape, musical note or flavor, but we can combine an infinite number of things into what hasn't existed quite in that way before, and call it 'new'.

The part inspiration plays is important, and it is good you brought it up...but no. They are quite different things.

Truly..good for you. The talent it takes to produce an appealing piece of still one of a kind art doesn't depend on it's novelty... If it takes work and thought, you earn the right to be a little proud...

Half-truth leap to a red herring, followed by the trending , demeaning catch phrase that implies one who disagrees just needs to 'deal with it'...as though if they were, they'd either comp[agree with you or shut up already.

Well, we are all made of the same grey matter soul stuff which defines us as sharing the same human nature, but no two people have gone through the exact same circumstances, nor found their doppleganger...

The point of this thread is to try and inspire one another with the ways we have discovered, or been taught, as to increasing and enhancing whatever level of creativity we bring to the table.... May I suggest you not underestimate your ability to learn new things...even how to be more creative if you want to... If you think that impossible you'll never seek it out, and that's your prerogative, but simply, you are wrong. Everyone has the capacity to become a better, more unique, productive and wilder thinker...if they want to.

It is however...overrated in some ways...

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024