Client wants to come to my home to see my "professional space" and...

9 years 8 months ago #391007 by Cherry-Volz
stage a couple of product photography shots. But I work from home and I
don't invite clients here and I outright said no to meeting here. He persists.
Not that it matters, because a no is a no, but my kids are here sleeping
until late because it is the summer and it is my home after all, if they want to run around in underwear they should be able to. Thoughts? My office is so small it wouldn't fit two people any way, ha!
Add my lighting and it is a good thing I am small.

9 years 8 months ago #391010 by KCook
Got a few photos or a video of your setup you can show him?

nohelpKelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

9 years 8 months ago #391029 by tCampbell
:agree:     why should the set up matter, it's the finished photo that counts.  Your home is your private space, that you control. If he can't respect that, he's the not the right client for you.   

Photo Comments
9 years 8 months ago #391034 by garyrhook
I have the space and ability to shoot in my home, so I have and will. However, if I could not, I would not.

You may need to simply state that you do not invite clients to your home, office notwithstanding, and that that is a non-negotiable policy.  Where's the nearest Starbucks?

Photo Comments
9 years 8 months ago #391058 by ThatNikonGuy
Although I agree with all the mentioned, I click the most with what Gary has mentioned.  That's the route I would take.  

Photo Comments
9 years 8 months ago #391060 by bluec
Thanks so much everyone. If they like the work, I also don't see what difference my set up makes. I am thinking he wants to 'direct' the shoot. I could be wrong but that is the feeling I am getting after thinking about it. Whatever the case, while my home office is where I shoot small stuff like this I don't invite anyone in it. And this client knows I work from home and meet at coffee shops. I have already said no once,  having to say no again is just uncomfortable.

9 years 8 months ago #391063 by KCook
OR his thinking is in industrial espionage mode.  He wants to scope out your setup, to duplicate for himself.  Many folks think product photography is a breeze, if only they had the right setup.  Then they can do it themselves, cut out expensive photographers.

badvibeKelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

9 years 8 months ago #391066 by Don Fischer
If you don';t mind the risk of losing a client, nothing wrong with that. I assume that photography is not your main source of income?

9 years 8 months ago #391087 by ubookoo
nohelpKelly and badvibeKelly is spotonKelly! :-)

Just be very firm that you work from home and always meet clients at their office or a convenient location.

9 years 8 months ago #391090 by icepics
Kelly is often Mr. Spot On. And like Gary said, your policy is that you don't meet with clients for product photography in your home.

I'd trust your instincts, your gut feeling is probably telling you something's up. I don't know what he really wants but if he can't accept your response then I'd probably block his email address and not have any further contact with him.  

Sharon
Photo Comments
9 years 8 months ago #391141 by Office Guy

ThatNikonGuy wrote: Although I agree with all the mentioned, I click the most with what Gary has mentioned.  That's the route I would take.  

:agree:

Photo Comments
9 years 8 months ago #391142 by IzzieK
:agree:  :goodpost:

9 years 8 months ago #391160 by Moe
That's what Starbucks is for

Photo Comments
9 years 8 months ago #391191 by bluec
After getting all this helpful feedback I decided how to respond, and in the middle of composing my response he texted me saying he was cool meeting me where ever I am comfortable doing so.  We are meeting tomorrow morning at a local coffee shop. I have been acquainted with this guy for a few years and he is a nice guy but my home office is off limits. I may lose clients, which is unfortunate if they like my work. Tomorrow morning for example, my son will be sleeping in the room across the hall from my office at the time of my meeting. This is my job, not theirs (my family) and they shouldn't have to deal with client visits. In this day and age of telecommuting it would be a shame for folks to walk away from partnerships because they can't see a vendor's home office. Although photography is a side gig for me, I still need these clients around. I am a freelance web designer and the two gigs intermingle a bit when work with design firms.

Thank you so much everyone! I can be so meek sometimes and I appreciate the support.

PS spotonKelley... I thought the same thing about the espionage! But I feel bad thinking it, so I only thought it for a few seconds :)

9 years 8 months ago #391376 by One Creative Girl
Personally I like to have separation of my home and business, so no guest to my home that are from work.  

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: bluec

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024

With these easy iPhone photography tips, you can maximize the functionality of your iPhone’s camera and get much-improved results for portraits, landscapes, and any other genre!

Apr 05, 2024

A small camera backpack is the perfect vessel for carrying your photography kit. The problem is there’s so many to choose from! Use this guide for details on three top choices.

Apr 04, 2024

In the great Canon R6 vs R6 Mark II, which one is best? Is it the original, groundbreaking R6 or the mildly updated and newer R6 Mark II? Let’s dive in and find out!

Apr 03, 2024