Question about Auto Focus

9 years 8 months ago #391717 by Scooter
If I have a shot that is framed up and in my lower left for example is something I want to focus on.  Is the best way to get just that in focus to focus recompose?  Or do you move your auto focus dots in the back of the camera so that they are around what you want in focus? 

I hope this makes some sense, I'm trying to understand and teach myself more of the features of my camera (D300). 

Thank you

9 years 8 months ago #391719 by effron
I focus and compose on almost every shot, however I also use back button focus which makes it a smooth action....;)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
9 years 8 months ago - 9 years 8 months ago #391723 by Scooter
 Google'ing what "back button focus" is

:thx:

9 years 8 months ago #391777 by GLiDeR
I could be wrong Scooter as I am learning too, but I think he is referring to the same thing you were, "auto focus dots" or AF Point Dsiplay.

9 years 8 months ago - 9 years 8 months ago #391781 by effron
Sorry, here's a good description and how to.....
nikonrumors.com/2014/01/25/how-to-use-ni...tton-autofocus.aspx/

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
9 years 8 months ago #391783 by KCook
Phase detect AF with an optical viewfinder is very different from contrast detect AF with a LCD.  When using PD AF most of the time I will focus near the center, then re-compose.  But with an LCD picking an offset target can be handy, especially with a touch-screen.  Whatever you are comfortable with.

Kelly Cook

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

9 years 8 months ago #391785 by JeremyS

effron wrote: Sorry, here's a good description and how to.....
nikonrumors.com/2014/01/25/how-to-use-ni...tton-autofocus.aspx/

when doing this, do you tend to leave your AF on AF-C or AF-S, or a mix of both depending on the situation. I'm going to give back button focusing a try and I was wondering what was commonly used to do this. 

9 years 8 months ago #391839 by effron
(Copy and paste from a helpful thread by Ray Soars, at DPR).....

Settings: (D7000, but I think most modern Nikons are similar)
a3 -> 9 points 
a4 -> off 
Focus area and mode AFC - continuous focus with 9 points dynamic area 
a1 -> release 
Lock initial focus point to central point (w/ the focus lock selector ) 
Set AE-L button to AF-ON only (so you will not focus using shutter button!)

1- Just press AF-ON to focus the initial focus point; 
2- Keep pressing while you want to continuous focus and shoot at will
3- If you want to recompose, just lift your thumb and the focus will lock -> then recompose and shoot. 
4- For manual focus dont touch the AF-ON button

Use this a couple days and you'll never return to shutter button focus. You will get a few oof shots, but its digital, no?

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
9 years 8 months ago #391845 by Shadowfixer1

GLiDeR wrote: I could be wrong Scooter as I am learning too, but I think he is referring to the same thing you were, "auto focus dots" or AF Point Dsiplay.

Nope. Not the same thing. Different technique.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GLiDeR
9 years 8 months ago - 9 years 8 months ago #391855 by GLiDeR
I found this discussion very helpful, I just set up my Canon 50D to Back Button AF.
I can see the benefits, thanks guys!

9 years 8 months ago #391983 by Joves
I too use the back button, but I do not recompose anymore. I just move the AF Point to the subject when I am putting it in a particular composition. I like to shoot what I see without doing much more than clicking the shutter when I have it composed. It takes me like a whole half a second to move it. 

9 years 8 months ago #391986 by effron

Joves wrote: I too use the back button, but I do not recompose anymore. I just move the AF Point to the subject when I am putting it in a particular composition. I like to shoot what I see without doing much more than clicking the shutter when I have it composed. It takes me like a whole half a second to move it. 

Oh yeah? It takes me a quarter of a second to recompose!......:P
Actually, I use your method often when my camera is tripod mounted, as my eyes don't hear like they use to. Hand holding, I just move the camera. Either method is easier than the half press, eh?

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
9 years 8 months ago #391992 by Joves

effron wrote:

Joves wrote: I too use the back button, but I do not recompose anymore. I just move the AF Point to the subject when I am putting it in a particular composition. I like to shoot what I see without doing much more than clicking the shutter when I have it composed. It takes me like a whole half a second to move it. 

Oh yeah? It takes me a quarter of a second to recompose!......:P
Actually, I use your method often when my camera is tripod mounted, as my eyes don't hear like they use to. Hand holding, I just move the camera. Either method is easier than the half press, eh?

:rofl:
Yeah the half press or the tripped shutter is of the Devil.

9 years 8 months ago - 9 years 8 months ago #392022 by Stealthy Ninja
Move the dot to as close as you can to the spot you want to focus on. Focus and recompose can throw your shot out of focus especially when shooting wide apertures and/or long focal lengths.

Focus and recompose is for noobs. :whistle:

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024