Photographing random homes against the law?

9 years 8 months ago #391725 by Stacy Craig
I don't want to make this sound worse than what it is.  My husband and I were out walking last night and I was taking photos of just about anything that caught my eye.   Some times it was mailboxes with pretty gardens or flower arrangements around them, other times it was beautiful homes with amazing curb appeal.  I had a home owner who came out and was very polite about telling me that it was against the law to take photos of peoples homes and especially their mail boxes.  Now I know of course you can't touch peoples mailboxes, but taking photos?  News to me.  Can anyone confirm this? 

Photo Comments
9 years 8 months ago #391749 by Eliffman
Not sure, but with all the crazies these days, I would tread on the conservative side when pointing my camera at peoples property. 

Photo Comments
9 years 8 months ago #391750 by JeremyS
As far as I'm aware in America, if you are standing on public land i.e a sidewalk, you are allowed to take pictures of anything you want. 

9 years 8 months ago #391776 by GLiDeR
From the eye of the home owner, I think its understandable to be wary of someone taking pictures of their home. So, leaving the law out of it, to me, it doesnt feel right.

9 years 8 months ago #391784 by JeremyS

GLiDeR wrote: From the eye of the home owner, I think its understandable to be wary of someone taking pictures of their home. So, leaving the law out of it, to me, it doesnt feel right.

Agreed that it could easily cause problems. To avoid this or put people at ease, buy a small set of business cards with your name and some other details and a email address or something, so then they could even buy a print of their house maybe ;) If not, it will atleast calm them down to know your not a hired hitman or a private investigator.

9 years 8 months ago #391864 by Marin Chi
:agree: with all mentioned here.   What it boils down is respecting the home owner.  Put yourself in their shoes, how would you respond to someone snapping shots in front of your home?  

Photo Comments
9 years 8 months ago #391979 by Joves
It is not against the law to photograph a house. The only part of the law that pertains to the photo is the usage if the photo. Then you get into problems if it is used for commercial purposes without a release. Also if you step on their property to get the shot, or have to climb up on a fence, in the case of homes with high solid walls. Anything easily viewable from a public area can be shot. 

9 years 8 months ago #392015 by Stanly
:agree:  exactly

Nikon Z6 | Nikon FM10 | Nikon D80 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8D | Nikon 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S VR | 35-105mm f/3.5 Macro | 80-200mm f/4.5 | SB600 | Pocket Wizard II
Photo Comments
9 years 8 months ago #392017 by Stealthy Ninja
If I go to America can I photograph people through their windows?

9 years 7 months ago #397142 by D Hornick
I think there is nothing wrong with that.  Go for it  

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #397152 by ubookoo
Google photographs, streets, cars, houses, and buildings everyday and places them on Google maps. They even give you the address and let you zoom in. They do block out faces and license plates but the amount of information available to view is amazing.

9 years 7 months ago #397285 by garyrhook

Marin Chi wrote: What it boils down is respecting the home owner.  Put yourself in their shoes, how would you respond to someone snapping shots in front of your home?  

I would understand that I have no control over someone on a public right-of-way, no matter how I "felt" about it.

It's not illegal, and you can't stop them. Period.

Geez.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024