Question for those that deal with privacy and street photography

9 years 8 months ago #394305 by D Hornick
Hey all, I just signed up here.  As I mentioned in my intro, I really enjoy landscapes and portraits.  Both of these deal with little privacy (landscapes) to consensual privacy(portraits).  Now there are two areas I'm really interested in exploring, one is night time photography, which again doesn't deal too much with privacy issues and street photography.  

What I would like to know, is if you are out in city environment for example and let's say across a busy intersection, is a woman getting proposed too by a guy, and it just visually frames up nice in your head.  Clearly you have the obstacle of the busy intersection between you, and you have the timing against you as well.  Do you take the shot, or do you cross the street when timing and safety permits and ask the couple to do everything again?

What are circumstances where you just take the shot and those times that you don't? 

Photo Comments
9 years 8 months ago #394322 by W Cage
Take the photo, then go show the people, offer to send them copy and get model release 

Photo Comments
9 years 8 months ago #394326 by garyrhook

D Hornick wrote: What are circumstances where you just take the shot and those times that you don't? 

There is no expectation of privacy in a public location (in the USA). Take the shot.

Photo Comments
9 years 8 months ago #394401 by Owen
Ok, so you take the shot and its a winner, you want to submit in contest or better yet, to get published in magazine or sold as stock.  Then what?  

Photo Comments
9 years 8 months ago #394469 by Danny Carson
Not me, I take the shot

Photo Comments
9 years 8 months ago #394488 by Stealthy Ninja
I think, generally, in the USA the law is you can take photos of pretty much anything in a public space (including some public transport) and use it as you wish, so long as it is for news, art purposes. It's only when you're going to use your image for commercial purposes that you need a waiver. ART is the key here. You can sell a picture for million so long as it's classed as "art" and not a commercial product.

That's in the USA at least.

In Australia you can use street photos for commercial purposes. BUT if you photograph a person on the street and it seems that they are endorsing a product which they are not (for example they're wearing a Nike t-shirt and you use it for a Nike ad) then you can be liable. Also defamation can make you liable in Australia, though this is hard to prove):

Australian law info here:
www.artslaw.com.au/info-sheets/info-shee...hotographers-rights/
9 years 8 months ago #394489 by Stealthy Ninja

D Hornick wrote:  Do you take the shot, or do you cross the street when timing and safety permits and ask the couple to do everything again?

Ahhh never... asking someone to repeat a once lifetime event again just because I missed the shot is unreasonably rude... no if I miss a shot on the street like that, it's my fault.  Even at a wedding the photographer won't say "Oh sorry I missed the kiss, please do it again." lol

Can you imagine a sports photographer asking a sports player to reenact his glorious sporting moment because it didn't quite get the shot he wanted?!

HAHAHAHA :rofl:
9 years 8 months ago #394564 by Jason Oldman
So would that include the use in magazine contest?

Photo Comments
9 years 8 months ago #394612 by Ira Weber
Snap away here, but then again I don't do many contest.  

Photo Comments
9 years 8 months ago #394651 by Jackman
I think most contest will require a release form if the people are the main subject of the image.  

Photo Comments
9 years 8 months ago #394654 by garyrhook

Jackman wrote: I think most contest will require a release form if the people are the main subject of the image.  

If a release is required, it's usually for identifiable people in an image. Not whether they are the subject. It's not clear street photography counts (at least in the US).

Photo Comments
9 years 8 months ago #394657 by icepics
You can take photos in public, whether or not you need releases depends on your intended use. Typically for editorial use such as in a newspaper a release wouldn't be needed for a news story but may be requested (often if you haven't done freelance work for the paper before). For retail or commercial use you'd most likely need a release. To sell an art print that's intended for the buyer's personal use a release isn't usually necessary.
http://asmp.org/tutorials/property-and-model-releases.html#.U-VsPyPD9LM

So with your example, you could take the picture, then go run across the street and get out a 'pocket' release and have it signed (or use an app) and get permission for usage if you feel compelled to do something with the photo (besides just looking at it). Or you could just take the picture for fun then go home and say hey honey look what happened on the way home! LOL and leave it at that.

For contests I think you'd have to read the rules and see if a release is required.

Sharon
Photo Comments
9 years 8 months ago #394680 by Chantel Nasbur
:goodpost:

Photo Comments
9 years 8 months ago #394692 by D Hornick
So many answers!  First let me thank you all for the answers.  I believe I have a good idea now.  

Photo Comments
9 years 8 months ago #394850 by W Cage

icepics wrote: You can take photos in public, whether or not you need releases depends on your intended use. Typically for editorial use such as in a newspaper a release wouldn't be needed for a news story but may be requested (often if you haven't done freelance work for the paper before). For retail or commercial use you'd most likely need a release. To sell an art print that's intended for the buyer's personal use a release isn't usually necessary.
http://asmp.org/tutorials/property-and-model-releases.html#.U-VsPyPD9LM

So with your example, you could take the picture, then go run across the street and get out a 'pocket' release and have it signed (or use an app) and get permission for usage if you feel compelled to do something with the photo (besides just looking at it). Or you could just take the picture for fun then go home and say hey honey look what happened on the way home! LOL and leave it at that.

For contests I think you'd have to read the rules and see if a release is required.

Good post

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024