What would you do when someone doesn't give you credit as photographer?

9 years 7 months ago #395660 by Farestad
A long time friend asked me to help out his daughter with some modeling photos to get her portfolio started last fall.  She is in her first year of college, so I haven't had contact with her in some time.  While leaving a message for my friend on his Facebook page, I happen to notice a remark on his page from his daughter and her photo was one of them that I took.  So I clicked on her profile and it opened up her photos to see that 17 of my photos that I had taken and given to her with my small watermark in the lower right hand, were there, but my watermark you could see was cloned out. 

hmmmmmm

I'm a little disappointed about this and wondering if she submitted these to the modeling agency this way.  Not to mentioned them being just on her page with no recognition.  As mentioned these were taken as a favor.   Favor meaning A.K.A. = free no charge.  I feel like an partial idiot too.  When my friend, her father was asking for this favor, he stated "look at it this way, if she becomes famous, everyone will see you took these photos" :pinch:

What would you do here? 

EF 50mm f/1.4
EF 35mm f/1.4L USM
EF 100mm f/2
EF 70-200mm f/4
EF 18-55mm
EF 85mm f/1.8 USM

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #395664 by garyrhook
Be up front. "I am honored you asked for me to help Suzie present herself, and I am happy to help out my friend, and her daughter's endeavor. I see, however, that the images I created have been edited and my watermark removed. Now, I know we don't have a written contract, and I probably should have verbalized this up front, but my expectation and requirement is that my watermark remains on all of the images. I hope you understand that that is my compensation."

You will also need to have some idea of compromise points, if any. And expect push back.

You also need to decide if you're willing to request that they not use the images if they can't meet your requirements. Fortunately, for you, you can have the images removed from FB and other sites without their cooperation. Of course there will be a non-monetary cost to that action.

Good luck.  An excellent learning opportunity for you.

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #395683 by EOS_Fan
I'd have a good talk with the father and let him know you home his daughters college  and modeling is going well and let that be the jumping point into each others expectations from the start.  This will be a good point to segue into your surprise to see the watermark missing.  Perhaps it was an overlook, or just not communicated clearly.

As I'm typing this, I'm looking at Gary's response and I have to say, that is some darn good advice.  

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #395686 by Mr. Harris
Sometimes such mistakes are gives us some lessons about mistakes and we should try to keep that lesson because life will give you many opportunities for increasing. So do not be upset and if you have real talent in photography make it your business and prove yourself. I have a friend also who was suffered like you to be a weeding photographer and now he is one of the top wedding photographer in our local Milwaukee area and you can know about his business by milwaukeeweddingphotos.net site.

9 years 7 months ago #395698 by Danny Carson

garyrhook wrote: Be up front. "I am honored you asked for me to help Suzie present herself, and I am happy to help out my friend, and her daughter's endeavor. I see, however, that the images I created have been edited and my watermark removed. Now, I know we don't have a written contract, and I probably should have verbalized this up front, but my expectation and requirement is that my watermark remains all of the images. I hope you understand that that is my compensation."

You will also need to have some idea of compromise points, if any. And expect push back.

You also need to decide if you're willing to request that they not use the images if they can't meet your requirements. Fortunately, for you, you can have the images removed from FB and other sites without their cooperation. Of course there will be a non-monetary cost to that action.

:agree:   I couldn't say it better.  This is very good advice to follow.   

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #395708 by Hassner
"her father was asking for this favor, he stated "look at it this way, if she becomes famous, everyone will see you took these photos"
"

If this is what he said, then you have a leg to stand on.
Why would anyone go to the extreme to clone out your watermark? This could be your point of entry. "Was there something wrong with the images that you would take out my name?"

This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
No one kicks up there feet next to the water cooler better than this person.  Top poster - LoungeLounge Guru
Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #395753 by Uplander

garyrhook wrote: Be up front. "I am honored you asked for me to help Suzie present herself, and I am happy to help out my friend, and her daughter's endeavor. I see, however, that the images I created have been edited and my watermark removed. Now, I know we don't have a written contract, and I probably should have verbalized this up front, but my expectation and requirement is that my watermark remains on all of the images. I hope you understand that that is my compensation."

:goodpost:

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #395769 by icepics
You could let the friend know a picture of the daughter showed up on your Facebook page and you noticed your watermark was gone and see what response you get. I would think you may be right that it's likely the daughter needed photos without a watermark to use for her portfolio, and I doubt it would occur to her to make sure her dad's friend got credit when she may have just wanted to show them to friends etc.

I think the problem is once you give someone your photos you lose control over how the photos end up getting used, especially without a contract or anything in writing. They may think you gave them photos that they could use without restrictions.

The idea of her becoming famous and you somehow getting credit obviously wasn't likely even if it was well intended or just said jokingly on the friend's part. There seems to be a general idea that putting photos somewhere 'out there' gives a photographer exposure but I don't think it's beneficial to a photographer without figuring out how and where to market photos (and a friend that isn't a photographer probably isn't going to know how photographers market their photos).

Maybe you could work out something with the friend, maybe agree to allow the daughter to continue to use some of the already edited photos for her portfolio and request that some be displayed with your name/watermark. 

Sharon
Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #395785 by Don Fischer
The girl is starting collage. I'd first approach her about it. Daddy may not realize she even did it.

9 years 7 months ago #395792 by Joves

garyrhook wrote: Be up front. "I am honored you asked for me to help Suzie present herself, and I am happy to help out my friend, and her daughter's endeavor. I see, however, that the images I created have been edited and my watermark removed. Now, I know we don't have a written contract, and I probably should have verbalized this up front, but my expectation and requirement is that my watermark remains on all of the images. I hope you understand that that is my compensation."

:agree:
Great post. I would first go to your friend, and have him contact the daughter about it. And remind him that he and his precious one agreed to attribute you for them. If he, or she pushes back then explain Copyright law to him, and that you will trace down everywhere she has posted the photos, and demand a take down. You had an oral contract which in some states is as binding as a written one. This just teaches you to make everyone sign a contract, even friends&family.

9 years 7 months ago #395935 by KENT MELTON
What happened to this?

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #395961 by MajorMagee
If she makes it someday, she'll be the one trying to defend her rights to her own work. This could be a good lesson early in her career to treat others as she will want to be treated.

9 years 7 months ago #396007 by Farestad
I'm just seeing all your answers.  Big help everyone, I really do appreciate your answers.  I'm meeting up with the father tomorrow.  Matter of fact, him and his wife are coming over for a BBQ and drinks.  So that is where I'm going to make my move.  I hope to have a positive update shortly after.  

:thx:

EF 50mm f/1.4
EF 35mm f/1.4L USM
EF 100mm f/2
EF 70-200mm f/4
EF 18-55mm
EF 85mm f/1.8 USM

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #396038 by garyrhook
And this:

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024