Straight out of camera photographers

9 years 7 months ago #395890 by Happy-pixel
Just curious are you or are there any well known photographers that are known for being straight out of camera photographers?  I'm talking about someone who shoots with digital and does absolutely nothing to their photos?  

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #395902 by KCook
When I first started shooting DSLR, I did put a lot of thought into customizing the camera controls for the best possible JPGs.  But after finally (took years) getting comfortable with RAW that habit fell by the wayside.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

9 years 7 months ago #395903 by effron
If there are, they're just short changing themselves. Non post is like vanilla ice cream, bland.....:P

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #395926 by Joves
Well known photographers, I cannot tell you truthfully. Personally I use my controls for my jpegs, and have the RAWs as backups. You can get what you want in the camera many times, once you know how a particular model behaves. That is the one thing I love about digital in that it is more consistent that film ever was. If you wanted true consistency with film you bought whole cases so you got the same lot run. Now the sensor always sees it the exact same every time. Only the settings are changed to protect the innocent. 

9 years 7 months ago #396011 by ShutterPal
Why?  That's like doing a half job of taking the photo.  No purist here, I believe post is half the process of taking a photo.  

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #396032 by Ruby Grace
Never.  Any photo that will get seen by anyone other than myself will go though Photoshop first.  

Canon EOS 5D Mark II, 17-40mmL, 24-105mmL, 100-400mmL, 300mm f/4L IS, Sigma 12-24mm, 430EX, Extension tubes
Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #396072 by ThatNikonGuy
I like vanilla ice cream!  :rofl:    but don't care for bland photos! 

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #396102 by Tony Imaging
How ironic, with digital, I'm all about post processing.  However this weekend while cleaning out garage and storage shed for a garage sale, I found my original Nikon film camera my father gave me.  So this will be straight out of camera.  

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #396222 by Number 7
You kidding?  I post process nearly all my shots. 

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #396283 by Dan Spade
Not ones that get shared

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #396288 by Hassner
Even if someone advertises at a gallery that all images are unprocessed, I would think "What are you trying to prove? That you are a master at compositions?" And in afterthought "But not processing?"

I have heard of purists that only use a standard (50mm) lens. But then you pick up the unity in style running through their work. But will one pick up non-processed if you look through someones' work? I doubt it.

This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
No one kicks up there feet next to the water cooler better than this person.  Top poster - LoungeLounge Guru
Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #396292 by KCook
:goodpost:
What you will pick up is mediocrity 

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

9 years 7 months ago #396326 by icepics
I don't know if there are any photographers particularly known for it. I've done some local sports/events which hasn't exactly been in high pressure, need-it-yesterday kinds of situations. But I know now there's often an expectation to have photos on a website before the game's even done, so those photographers better get it right in camera. I know at top pro levels of sports there are no excuses, and publications like SI will have their photographers turn in their media cards so their editors can see what they're getting in camera.

I'm a film photographer and shooting digitally too. I can print sometimes directly from the media card without any further post processing and other times I'll need to adjust or brighten for printing. Same when I've done darkroom work, if I shot a roll at the same time in the same lighting chances are once I'd determine exposure time for the first one I'd be able to crank out prints without any further work (burning in a corner or dodging out some detail). Other times I might have to start again with each print on determining exposure time, or might have to do dodging or burning or both. Just depends.

Doing portrait work seems as if it's always been standard practice to do a certain amount of touching up even using film. I haven't done studio work to know what editing would be the expectation for that. It took hours and hours and years of learning and practice to get good at it but I can frame and compose images and have the timing down shooting sports and events; and besides that and nailing the focus it's a matter I think of getting a proper exposure to be able to use photos out of camera with minimal or no post processing.

Sharon
Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #396382 by Eliffman
Sure straight out of the camera and into my computer :rofl:

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #396447 by garyrhook

icepics wrote: Doing portrait work seems as if it's always been standard practice to do a certain amount of touching up even using film. I haven't done studio work to know what editing would be the expectation for that.

If it's not there in 2 weeks, it goes away. I've heard this mantra a number of times, and agree with it.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024