Did you start photography using film?

9 years 8 months ago #396094 by Tony Imaging
Just curious, how many of you started your photography with film cameras?  This weekend we are cleaning out the garage, and storage shed and I found my Nikon F camera that my father gave me.  Kind of brings you down memory lane a little.  This won't be ending up in our garage sale!  

Photo Comments
9 years 8 months ago #396109 by effron
Yes, been snappin' a shutter since '69 or '70. Still have my filmers and all remain in fine working condition....;)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
9 years 8 months ago #396146 by JaneK
I had a small film camera, but it wasn't one of these professional ones. 

Photo Comments
9 years 8 months ago #396162 by KCook
Er, in the '50s there wasn't a lot of choice!

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

9 years 8 months ago #396176 by icepics
Nice camera! good idea to keep that one, I got one not too long ago. Obviously yes I started on film and still shoot film, I did add a digital camera to the mix of umpteen film cameras that I collect and use. Most places that develop film will scan it for you or of course people develop and scan their own too. I find it nice to have the advantage of both.

Sharon
Photo Comments
9 years 8 months ago #396179 by Jess05GT
Yes, back in the early 70's.  Still own a film camera, plan to play with it at some point.

9 years 8 months ago #396192 by Moe
Sure did, I have 2 film cameras around here somewhere.

Photo Comments
9 years 8 months ago #396200 by Hassner
I spent more time in the darkroom than taking photos in those days. I just sold house. What to do with some great darkroom equipment. LPL enlarger with Ilford Multigrade head, keyboard. etc. Ilford print dryer, tanks, trays, wet bench. Even an antique Leitz autofocus enlarger. Dump heap?

This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
No one kicks up there feet next to the water cooler better than this person.  Top poster - LoungeLounge Guru
Photo Comments
9 years 8 months ago #396210 by jkenney57
I got my first camera in 1975, a Canon AE1.  A few years later  I purchased a Canon A1 and later a Bronica ETR.  I still use the Canons on occasion.  About 10 years ago I made the transition to digital, but film is still fun.

9 years 8 months ago #396214 by KCook

Hassner wrote: I spent more time in the darkroom than taking photos in those days. I just sold house. What to do with some great darkroom equipment. LPL enlarger with Ilford Multigrade head, keyboard. etc. Ilford print dryer, tanks, trays, wet bench. Even an antique Leitz autofocus enlarger. Dump heap?

Noooo, not the Leitz! :(

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

The following user(s) said Thank You: icepics
9 years 8 months ago #396216 by hghlndr6

KCook wrote: Er, in the '50s there wasn't a lot of choice!

Kelly

You were still using wet plates, right?  ;)

Film was the only choice in 1960 too.
9 years 8 months ago #396228 by KCook
My plates career was actually in the late '60s :P

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

9 years 8 months ago #396278 by Don Fischer
I don't recall when i started taking photo's. I do remember a couple old Brownies and a couple Agfa's I wish I still had. One of my favorite's was an old Nikon FG, loved that camera. Still have a few film cameras and get them out now and then. Nikon F5, Yachica 635, Pentax 645 and a Mamiya RB67. If it cost the same for film and digital, think I'd still be shooting film.

9 years 8 months ago #396281 by Hassner
I still have my silver case with the Pentax 6x7. I saw one can get a converter to use those lenses on Canon (and maybe Nikon, but who cares... :whistle: ) digital. (Made in Russia.) Wonder if it is worth it.

This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
No one kicks up there feet next to the water cooler better than this person.  Top poster - LoungeLounge Guru
Photo Comments
9 years 8 months ago #396285 by ubookoo
Yep! Started in high school with film and developing tanks. I can still remember the smell of the chemicals!

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024