Did you start photography using film?

9 years 8 months ago #396286 by Hassner

ubookoo wrote: Yep! Started in high school with film and developing tanks. I can still remember the smell of the chemicals!

You can come and have a last sniff before I discard my last chemicals next weekend. Unused for more than 5 years.

This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
No one kicks up there feet next to the water cooler better than this person.  Top poster - LoungeLounge Guru
Photo Comments
9 years 8 months ago #396327 by icepics
C'mon Bob, Kelly's not that old! LOL Actually if you look at the Eastman House site they do workshops on antique processes, there are still photographers working in many alternate processes.

Hassner how can a photographer think about dumping something Leitz?! I feel like Kelly's sad face that he posted at the thought! Seriously though I don't know what's in your area and maybe some darkroom items wouldn't sell well but seems like someone would want some of it and get some use out of it. Hope you can find a use for it (a school maybe? art center?).

Sharon
Photo Comments
9 years 8 months ago #396380 by Eliffman
Yes, but wasn't serious till digital. 

Photo Comments
9 years 8 months ago #396393 by Pete-McWade
Started B&W in 1973 for my first year Photography Class. My Junior year. Advanced Photography in 74 my Senior Year. Used my stepdads old Argus Rangefinder. School went to color the year after I graduated. Got out of photography pretty much until a few years ago. Now have my Sony A7R and using it as much as I can the way I did film. I try not to take too many photos. I want to do B/W again but with digital. I like digital. I may try my old Pentax again with film in B/W. 

Pete :)

9 years 8 months ago #396528 by effron
Pics or its all a fantasy. My filmers.......

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
9 years 8 months ago #396550 by Joves
I started in 67" with a 120 camera my grandfather gave me. So not quite as old as Kelly, and Bob shooting tin types. 

The following user(s) said Thank You: icepics
9 years 8 months ago #396672 by Alex

effron wrote: Pics or its all a fantasy. My filmers.......

Now that's a collection!  How many of those do you still use?

Thank you for making PhotographyTalk.com your photography community of choice.
Photo Comments
9 years 8 months ago - 9 years 8 months ago #396676 by Alex
As for me... I grew up in a rather poor household and my first camera I paid $5 for at garage sale when I was 13 years old.  I remember digging through this families garage sale items and not finding anything I really wanted, well let me clarify: anything I could afford, because I only had just over $6 on me.  When I saw the camera in a 5 gallon bucket along with a couple old books, I was sporting an enthusiastic grin when they told me I could have it for $5!  I was so excited that I had camera, however that serendipitous moment ended when I dropped the camera off at camera shop to get serviced and was told it would cost me $130 to get the camera repaired too working condition.  My only source of income at the time was two lawns I was mowing each week.  Mr.  Brown for $5 and Mr. & Mrs. Achenback who had a cabin on the lake they stayed at for 3 months out of the summer who paid me a $20 each time I mowed their lawn.  Technically I was only making $15 profit per week, because that summer I had bought a super old 5hp riding lawn mower from Mr. Brown for $40 that he was deducting $5 per week from the $40 cost.  Then each Saturday I used just about $5 worth of gas and oil to mow both their lawns and driving my mower too and from my home (I grew up WAY in the country).  So that $130 cost to repair that camera would have taken over 8 months to pay for! 

My next camera wasn't till a couple years later I received for Christmas.  It was a Nikon RF2.  Thanks Santa!  It wasn't till 6 years ago I really got into photography with Nikon D90 as my first DSLR. 

Thank you for making PhotographyTalk.com your photography community of choice.
Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #396683 by Stealthy Ninja

Alex wrote: As for me... I grew up in a rather poor household and my first camera I paid $5 for at garage sale when I was 13 years old.  I remember digging through this families garage sale items and not finding anything I really wanted, well let me clarify: anything I could afford, because I only had just over $6 on me.  When I saw the camera in a 5 gallon bucket along with a couple old books, I was sporting an enthusiastic grin when they told me I could have it for $5!  I was so excited that I had camera, however that serendipitous moment ended when I dropped the camera off at camera shop to get serviced and was told it would cost me $130 to get the camera repaired too working condition.  My only source of income at the time was two lawns I was mowing each week.  Mr.  Brown for $5 and Mr. & Mrs. Achenback who had a cabin on the lake they stayed at for 3 months out of the summer who paid me a $20 each time I mowed their lawn.  Technically I was only making $15 profit per week, because that summer I had bought a super old 5hp riding lawn mower from Mr. Brown for $40 that he was deducting $5 per week from the $40 cost.  Then each Saturday I used just about $5 worth of gas and oil to mow both their lawns and driving my mower too and from my home (I grew up WAY in the country).  So that $130 cost to repair that camera would have taken over 8 months to pay for! 

My next camera wasn't till a couple years later I received for Christmas.  It was a Nikon RF2.  Thanks Santa!  It wasn't till 6 years ago I really got into photography with Nikon D90 as my first DSLR. 

As for me...

Technically yes. In the 1980s and 90s we used film cameras.  Mainly point and shoot cameras and such.  
If you're talking being really into photography, then no, I started with Digital.
9 years 7 months ago #396694 by effron

Alex wrote:

effron wrote: Pics or its all a fantasy. My filmers.......

Now that's a collection!  How many of those do you still use?

They all are in good condition, and I have the F100 loaded with film, but I rarely use it......:(

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #397310 by Alan Nunez

9 years 7 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #397425 by PT Talker
Started in the 70s with a Minolta XG-9 and later had a Canon AE-1 Program. Cokin filter system and a bag full of goodies. Basement darkroom setup, too, with a Vivitar V1-A enlarger and a homemeade digital timer. (I'm an electronics nut.)  I still have all my B&W negatives, contact sheets and every bit of E6 film I developed.

Started the digital experience with an Olympus E10 when it was still a $600 camera (used).

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #397606 by photobod
1968 with a Zorki 4k rangefinder, those were the days, I loved the darkroom experience as well, it was so magical watching those prints appear.
digital for me was with a Nikon D70 can't remember the year, but I swore blind I would never go digital for many years.

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024