Epson and Canon printer cost per print?

9 years 7 months ago #396287 by Colorado Mike
I'm shopping for a new photo printer and correct me if I'm wrong, but Canon and Epson are the two big boys correct?  I'm trying to find a chart that shows their top photo printers compared and also the cost per print laid out.   Print cost is of course largely dependent on the efficiency of the printers consumption.  

Something that shows print cost for the following sizes:

5x7          
8x10        
11x14  
11x17
13x19 

Thank you

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #396328 by Flash Steven
I have not seen anything that specific, but I do believe the Epson's tend to have better ink consumption

Canon 7D w/grip, Canon 40D, Canon 70-200mm f2.8 IS L Canon MPE 65mm f2.8 macro; Sigma 70-300mm f2.8; Sigma 150mm f2.8 macro; Sigma 8-16mm f4.5-5.6
Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #396350 by Don Fischer
Here ya go. Red River Paper has a number of articles on printing.

www.redrivercatalog.com/cost-of-inkjet-p...pro9000-pro9500.html

They just happen to have a 13' Epson or two and the 9000 and 9500 Canon. I would not worry about ink cost, it's very inexpensive. I'd figured it ran about a penny a sq inch but in their testing it's under a penny. I've had three Epsons and the first, an R300, was a really good printer. Then I had two more 8 1/2" Epssons that were terrible and a Picturemate that went belly up in less than a hundred photo's. My nephew has a 24" wide Epson and likes it very well. Draw back on the big printer is the sizeof the ink tanks, I think he said they are $150 each. But remember it is designed for large prints and you don't want to run out in the middle of a 24x30! My 13" is the Canon Pixma 9000 MkII, love it. I also had a Small inexpensive 8 1/2 " Canon, $40, that worked well. I gave it away about a year ago and replaced it with an iP100. The iP100 is a super printer to haul around and I do use it a home some also. As far as ink, I suspect the cost of the iP100 is well below a penny an inch. it has small tanks, two. One black and one single w/three colors. When the ink alert come's on I counted one time and got something like ten or twelve more 8x10's with the low ink light on. It has taught me to run out my ink tanks before replacing them. On my 9000, I might lose a 13" photo but the cost compared to the loss of ink still in the tank is small. The Canon 9000 ink tanks are clear on the side and you can actually see the in level in them. Bottom line is I wouldn't worry about ink cost other than if your getting to many tanks. At one time I had a 13" HP and as I recall it had 5 tanks yet made very nice photo's. Printer wasn't good on life though and terribly noisy. My Canon  9000 has 8 tanks all dye ink. The 9500 I think has 10 cartridges with a couple extra gray tanks. I can't find the need for the two extra tanks or for the extra expense of the printer. One thing I do like about the 13" Epson's over the Canon is the ability to print 13x44". My HP did that and I loved those wide panoramic's. My 9000 will print custom sizes up to 19" max I think. I do 9x18's and believe 6x18 is also doable. Love the 9x18's and 13x16's. my 9000 runs very quiet, I can't hear it run but it shakes the table it's on. Heavy printer, I'm thinking it was about 40#. Quite a bit heavier than my old HP and now has outlasted it a good bit. These thing's I think are much more important than the cost of ink. If you figure it out by the percent of profit for Epson and Canon, it probably comes out quite high. But then some pretty good printer's are sold pretty inexpensively, they probably do make their money on the ink! 

I forgot, add the cost of paper. Same paper in each machine cost the same!

9 years 7 months ago #396368 by garyrhook
Yes, Red River.

Printer ink is not expensive, despite what some say. Paper is your biggest cost, but oh, what fun it is to find a good paper. And so far, I'm very happy with the results I get from my new Epson 3880. And printing your own is, past a 5x7, less expensive than a decent lab.

That said, I love Epson. I guess I'm just not a Canon fan in any form.

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #396556 by Joves

garyrhook wrote: That said, I love Epson. I guess I'm just not a Canon fan in any form.

:rofl:
Well as I tell my family who all shoot Canon, my printer is the only Canon equipment they will ever see in my house.
As has been said the oh the inks are too expensive crowd are probably plants from the online printing industry. And yeah the paper is way more, especially when you do not use a big box store to buy your paper.

9 years 7 months ago #396637 by Kayce
You do bring up a good point, print on demand and online printing have become so affordable today, so many options.  Not worth dealing with printing yourself. 

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: Don Fischer
9 years 7 months ago #396640 by garyrhook

Kayce wrote: You do bring up a good point, print on demand and online printing have become so affordable today, so many options.  Not worth dealing with printing yourself. 

Um, no one said that, and if you reread my post above, you'll learn that that's not a truism.

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #396646 by Colorado Mike
Epson is looking pretty good right now........   :thumbsup:   Thanks for all the suggestions 

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #396657 by Don Fischer

Kayce wrote: You do bring up a good point, print on demand and online printing have become so affordable today, so many options.  Not worth dealing with printing yourself. 

Fast food places have so many options and are so affordable it's not worth cooking at home! I'm sorry, couldn't help it!:)

9 years 7 months ago #397422 by Kayce

garyrhook wrote:

Um, no one said that, and if you reread my post above, you'll learn that that's not a truism.

My mistake, I did read it pretty quick when I had originally responded.  But I do think print on demand pricing has come down over the years.  If you don't have the budget for a $900 or $1500 photo printer, there are some companies who's printing prices are a nice alternative.  

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #397473 by garyrhook

Kayce wrote: My mistake, I did read it pretty quick when I had originally responded.  But I do think print on demand pricing has come down over the years.  If you don't have the budget for a $900 or $1500 photo printer, there are some companies who's printing prices are a nice alternative.  

I totally get that; the meaning of the comment above wasn't readily clear without careful reading.

There is definitely a "tipping point" for printing. You would need to produce a lot of images to make owning your own large format device worthwhile. There are other reasons as well. No argument there.

The original question was about cost per print, and I maintain that printing your own on a per unit basis is less expensive than the pro labs. That does not hold for the small prints, nor for places like Shutterfly or AdoramaPix, especially when they have sales. It's important to consider all of the aspects of this issue, not just one or two.

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #397474 by Don Fischer
You don't need to spend any where near $900 for a good photo printer unless your going over 13". The Canon Pro 100 is only $398 from B&H. The Pro 10 is $699. Pro 10 use;s pigment ink Pro 100 use's dye ink. Epson Artisan 1430 is 4299 frpm B&H. Stylus R2000 is $4599.I'm not sure the price on the R2880 but I'm thinking around $500.

9 years 7 months ago #397551 by Sandy Smith Photos

Don Fischer wrote: You don't need to spend any where near $900 for a good photo printer unless your going over 13". The Canon Pro 100 is only $398 from B&H. The Pro 10 is $699. Pro 10 use;s pigment ink Pro 100 use's dye ink. Epson Artisan 1430 is 4299 frpm B&H. Stylus R2000 is $4599.I'm not sure the price on the R2880 but I'm thinking around $500.

I would love to have the R2000!  I have a friend who has this printer.  The problem is, it's on backorder status with B&H and your price is off, it's $499 that is after a $200 mail in rebate.  

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bishton
5 years 11 months ago #577916 by denisbill
As has been said that oh are very expensive crowds, maybe plants are from the online printing industry. And yes the paper route is high, especially when you do not use a large box store to buy your paper. Brother Printer Support

The following user(s) said Thank You: Bishton
5 years 11 months ago #577917 by denisbill
Thanks for sharing...

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024