How do you feel about JPEG quality being equal to RAW in near future?

9 years 8 months ago #396753 by Adrian Footman
I was looking for an article I read last week that was very interesting and I wanted to run it by this community to get thoughts.  It spoke about JPEG technology on the rise and that this could make shooting in RAW obsolete in the near future.  It was very interesting and I hope to get more information about this.  Imagine getting the same quality in a much smaller JPEG file?  I know my hard drives and camera buffer will sure love to hear this. 

What do you think?   Plausible? 

Photo Comments
9 years 8 months ago #396789 by EOS_Fan
Who knows, perhaps in 5 years?  But then again mirrorless prefer JPG anyway? 

Photo Comments
9 years 8 months ago #396855 by garyrhook

Adrian Footman wrote: I was looking for an article I read last week that was very interesting and I wanted to run it by this community to get thoughts.  It spoke about JPEG technology on the rise and that this could make shooting in RAW obsolete in the near future.  It was very interesting and I hope to get more information about this.  Imagine getting the same quality in a much smaller JPEG file?  I know my hard drives and camera buffer will sure love to hear this. 

No.

A) There's already a "better" JPG that no one uses. So much for that.

2) JPG is lossy. As in, data is lost. How can that ever hope to replace RAW? Be definition you can not get the same quality. They're selling snake oil.

C) Technology marches onward. Memory and storage become less expensive, processing becomes faster, and the whole points of "saving space" becomes less and less relevant.

Yes I saw the article go by (FStoppers, maybe?) and read it. I was not impressed.

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: photographyelement
9 years 8 months ago #396860 by Stealthy Ninja
If it's exactly the same quality (and flexibility) then the file size will be the same because with flexibility comes the information and with the information comes all those zeros and ones.

Personally I think it's stupid, how can a lossy format ever be better than a lossless format?! As jpeg improves RAW will also improve.
9 years 8 months ago #396887 by effron
"What do you think?   Plausible?"

The way of the future. The way of the future. The way of the future. The way of the future.......
 I'll believe it when I see it.....:whistle:

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
9 years 8 months ago #396910 by Screamin Scott
I think I read an article several months back on the same subject...IIRC, the new format would be lossless.... Thing is, the standard would take some time to make it's way into cameras (not sure if older cameras would be able to use via a software update)

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
9 years 8 months ago #396997 by Joves
If it is a smaller file size at all than the raw data, then it will never be lossless. It has to compress that data, so it will lose some parts to get to that size. So they must be speaking of very large Jpegs to be superior to RAW. In this case they are talking about turning Jpegs into TIFF files.

9 years 8 months ago #397042 by Camera Diva

garyrhook wrote:

Adrian Footman wrote: I was looking for an article I read last week that was very interesting and I wanted to run it by this community to get thoughts.  It spoke about JPEG technology on the rise and that this could make shooting in RAW obsolete in the near future.  It was very interesting and I hope to get more information about this.  Imagine getting the same quality in a much smaller JPEG file?  I know my hard drives and camera buffer will sure love to hear this. 

No.

A) There's already a "better" JPG that no one uses. So much for that.

2) JPG is lossy. As in, data is lost. How can that ever hope to replace RAW? Be definition you can not get the same quality. They're selling snake oil.

C) Technology marches onward. Memory and storage become less expensive, processing becomes faster, and the whole points of "saving space" becomes less and less relevant.

Yes I saw the article go by (FStoppers, maybe?) and read it. I was not impressed.

:agree:  

At the beginning of time there was absolutely nothing. And then it exploded! - Terry Pratchett
Photo Comments
9 years 8 months ago #397053 by photographyelement
It's not really a question of "better".  It depends on who it's better for.  JPEG format is better for a lot of people.  It's simpler and quicker and doesn't require any post processing.  If you're more particular about your images and you want to take the time to creatively style your images then RAW will always be better.  With JPEG, you get what you get and while you can make some minor adjustments, the creative post editing options are much more limited.  

9 years 8 months ago #397059 by garyrhook

photographyelement wrote: It's not really a question of "better".  It depends on who it's better for.  JPEG format is better for a lot of people.  It's simpler and quicker and doesn't require any post processing.

In the interest of precision, JPGs are already processed by the camera. A JPG that isn't processed causes the file to fall into the TIFF category, as stated above.

If you're more particular about your images and you want to take the time to creatively style your images then RAW will always be better.  With JPEG, you get what you get and while you can make some minor adjustments, the creative post editing options are much more limited.  

Again, because the camera has already made most of those decisions for you. And thrown out everything it considers unnecessary.

Photo Comments
9 years 8 months ago #397075 by photographyelement
Correct. All I'm saying is that for some people who don't have the time or don't want to edit their photos, JPEG is better. When the camera makes all the decisions for you and throws away the excess data, you're stuck with whatever the camera thinks is best. For those who want more creative control over the look of the final image, JPEG will never be the best option no matter how much more advanced it becomes.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024