Handing out business cards at a wedding you aren't shooting?

9 years 7 months ago #397346 by Kelly Lambert
The bride to be is a good friend of mine, she was telling me yesterday that there are a number of other soon to be bride and grooms at her wedding and that "it's a good opportunity for you to hand out business cards".  I have a rule about handing out business cards when I'm not the photographer hired for a particular job.  In this case, the bride has made it a point of suggesting I do so.  I'm still not sure about this.  Although I could always use more business, I don't feel right about this.

What would you do?  Go for it, because you have permission from the bride, or don't hand them out?  

Nikon D700: 50mm, 14-24mm, 85mm, 105mm 70-200mm, 150-500mm (Sigma), SB-900
Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #397402 by photobod
If you have a personal invite to hand them out then go for it, if you feel a little awkward have a quiet word with the official photographer, tell him what the bride has suggested and just say you hope he doesn't mind, if I was the photographer I would say fine no problem.

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

9 years 7 months ago #397417 by effron
I still wouldn't do it. Ask the bride and groom to refer you, but handing out the cards there is low class....:(

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #397437 by Harrison J
 Well, it's nice that you have permission from the bride.  I don't agree it's "low class" seeing that the bride brought this up.  If you were attending a wedding out of the blue and handing out business cards there, that would be a different story.  Your situation sounds like the bride might have some referrals lined up for you. 

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #397472 by garyrhook
No.

If the bride knows brides and/or grooms that are attending her ceremony, she should/could pass along a referral for you. But doing that yourself undermines the hired photographer, whose pictures are the ones the bride and groom will get, and others will see, from that ceremony. You aren't really involved here, are you?

One presumes that you were not hired because you're a friend/relation/guest, and that's fine. But regardless of what the bride says, I think that would be classless. Plus, you're not there to promote yourself, you're there to celebrate the nuptials. Focus.

Final question: do you want others doing marketing at your gigs?

Notice that I did not write the incorrect "irregardless" :-)

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #397511 by Kristy Blake
I would be flattered, but would want to just enjoy the wedding.  

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #397545 by Sandy Smith Photos
Oh no.  I would be attending as guest only.  If there were referrals to be gained that the bride had in mind for you.  Ask that introductions be made after the wedding.   OR before the wedding.  

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #397620 by Robert Chen

Sandy Smith Photos wrote: Oh no.  I would be attending as guest only.  If there were referrals to be gained that the bride had in mind for you.  Ask that introductions be made after the wedding.   OR before the wedding.  

+1

Nikon D300 24-70mm f2.8
70-200mm f2.8
50mm f1.4 & 50mm f1.8
105mm f2.8
2 SB800

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #397668 by Roy Wilson
+1  regardless of who said what, as a common courtesy, I wouldn't hand out any cards during the wedding.  If there were any intentional introductions, as mentioned already, I would ask for a pre-wedding or after introduction. 

Canon 5D Mark II, 30D, 40D, 50 1.2L, 16-35 2.8L Mark II, 24-105 4L IS, 24-70 2.8L, 70-200 2.8L IS, 85 1.8, 4 x 580 EX(II)
Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #397740 by Soccer Mom
:agree:  

Canon 7D, 18-55mm, 55-250mm, 70-200mm L f/2.8, 100mm and 17-55mm f/2.8
Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #397751 by ubookoo
In general, a wedding is a social event and not business event. I would only hand out a card if I got into a conversation with a guest and they asked what I do for a living. I feel this also applies whether I am a photographer, accountant, or real estate agent. Not the right time or place in my opinion.

However, if the hired photographer is smart, they will create an app for her wedding and have guests use their phone while at the event to text a keyword to a short 5 digit number. This will instantly give the guests a link to view her event app and the photographer will capture a complete marketing list. After the wedding the photographer can send out a text message to this list with a link to view the images and buy directly from their phones.

9 years 7 months ago #397770 by Overread
+1 

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #397773 by Don Fischer
So you have a rule but now your questioning it? Don't do that, Next thing you know there won't be any rules.

9 years 7 months ago #397859 by Moe
Follow your gut on that one, I'd leave the cards home ;)

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #399046 by W Cage
If you were the photographer on hire for this job, how would you feel if someone was soliciting others for business?

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024