What do you do when your client is late?

9 years 7 months ago #397940 by Foxy Girl
Are you sticklers for charging for the time you were waiting around?  I have a client who we had scheduled to meet yesterday for engagement photos and they showed up 27 minutes late.  On top of that her and her fiancee had a unexpected (to me) wardrobe change that took nearly 14 minutes of down time.  

Now so far photographing their wedding has only been discussed and I don't want to lose my chance at this, but on the same token if I don't say anything, they I'm saying this sort of behavior is OK.  Technically I'm enabling them.  At what point do you start charging for over  time?  

Actually what would you do in this case?  

Thank you

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #397946 by garyrhook
The clock starts when you show up and are ready to go, right? Doesn't sound like they're the kind of customers you want anyway.

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #397948 by Foxy Girl
That's what I thought.  Wasn't sure if others might give exceptions seeing this is first job.  Could have been a one time, or could be a sign of what is to come.  Honestly it could go either way.  Posted to see how others would weigh this situation.   I see where you would stand.  Thank you 

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #397963 by ubookoo
Personally I would be flexible with them on the first shoot if you can. Things happen, traffic, calls, etc. I would definitely not confront them when they arrive late as you want a relaxed photo shoot not one filled with tension on their faces.

I also would set up a Text Reminder for your appointments. You can set it up for a day before, 3 hours before, 1 hour before the appointment and the client will receive a text reminder. It also allows them to text back to you to confirm or that they are running late. It is built into our ubookoo mobile marketing platform.

9 years 7 months ago #397972 by Roblane

ubookoo wrote: Personally I would be flexible with them on the first shoot if you can. Things happen, traffic, calls, etc. I would definitely not confront them when they arrive late as you want a relaxed photo shoot not one filled with tension on their faces.

I also would set up a Text Reminder for your appointments. You can set it up for a day before, 3 hours before, 1 hour before the appointment and the client will receive a text reminder. It also allows them to text back to you to confirm or that they are running late. It is built into our ubookoo mobile marketing platform.

+1   :agree:  

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #398021 by effron
Yeah, unless its making you late for another job, I'd blow it off. I'm painfully punctual myself, and ALWAYS end up waiting for others. You should probably get used to that or get a job where you punch a time clock....(yuck!)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #398086 by Ben Vanderbilt

effron wrote: Yeah, unless its making you late for another job, I'd blow it off. I'm painfully punctual myself, and ALWAYS end up waiting for others. You should probably get used to that or get a job where you punch a time clock....(yuck!)

True, for the first time this happens only.  If they were late the second time, I would let the meter run. 

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #398137 by One Creative Girl
We are all human, one exception is OK.  If it occurs again, sorry you get billed.  

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #398189 by Conner
+1 one time let it slide 

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #398210 by Tim Dordeck
Politely let them know about your tight time schedule and give them a pass that time.  Next time will be different.  

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #398254 by icepics
What does your contract state? I'd likely allow 15 minutes leeway but a half hour is potentially going to put you significantly behind schedule so that's where I'd set the limit. If there were circumstances such as where I live, depending on the time of day, a major accident/shut down on one of the interstates could happen and be unavoidable and I'd probably allow for that type thing. If this kept happening I'd want it in writing to address it with the client.

Wardrobe changes? again, should be in the contract, that extra time seems like it should be billable. If you have it in writing you can refer back to it or remind clients as need be there's extra cost for that time spent changing clothes.

Sharon
Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #398286 by photobod
I like the text idea will programme that in for my clients, did they apologise when they finally arrived ???. If they apologised then let it slide, if not then I would have second thoughts on working with them again, you have spent time with them so you must have some idea of the type of people they are, use your instincts.
contracts are a must, that way you both know where you stand, I agree that fifteen minutes late is acceptable, half an hour is unacceptable.

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

9 years 7 months ago #398480 by Foxy Girl
Oh you guys are so great, thank you for the suggestions.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024