What do you think is the most important ingredient to a GREAT photo?

9 years 7 months ago #398096 by MYoung
Have you noticed how touchy and subjective people can get when it comes to what makes a good photo?  Just for fun, I would like to see what comes up here in terms of what you believe are the most important ingredients to a good photo?  

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #398105 by KCook
Post processing.  I will now climb into my bombproof suit!

witnessprotection

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

The following user(s) said Thank You: [email protected]
9 years 7 months ago #398106 by Tuscan Muse
Light
9 years 7 months ago #398119 by garyrhook
An (actual) story.

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #398132 by ThatNikonGuy

KCook wrote: Post processing.  I will now climb into my bombproof suit!

witnessprotection

:rofl:    I'm going to agree with you.  These days, you can take a half a$$ decent photo, and with some moderate post processing skills, you can create a stunning image.

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #398179 by Ben Vanderbilt
Composition 

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #398196 by Ryan Obryan
Contrast!  light and shadows, with out them, photos would be this grey mess. 

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #398214 by Eric A
My vote is for composition, with out that, no post processing will help

My Camera Bag:

Canon 7D | 50mm f/1.2 | 17-40mm f/4 | 70-200mm f/2.8 | 320EX | 580EXII

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #398246 by some1sangel
Feeling, emotion....

9 years 7 months ago #398249 by Don Fischer

Eric A wrote: My vote is for composition, with out that, no post processing will help

Agree 100%!

9 years 7 months ago #398307 by Tony Imaging
1.  Composition 2. Lighting 3.  Post processing

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #398325 by Stealthy Ninja
If I like it.
9 years 7 months ago #398464 by Ben Vanderbilt

Tuscan Muse wrote: Light

:agree:   with out it... there would be no photo.  So, I think you have the winner here. 

Photo Comments
9 years 6 months ago #399045 by W Cage
Aside from light being the obvious, the photo needs to tell a story.

Photo Comments
9 years 6 months ago #399047 by Photo Dante
Light, shadows and post processing, composition not the most important thing.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024