Creativity is drained

9 years 7 months ago #398293 by Rawley Photos
I have a serious case of photographers block this last week.  It seems none of my photos are looking the way I want and I need to take a breather.  

{venting}

Do you ever get this way, where you just take a step back?  

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #398318 by Chris Grimm
Take a break, recharge and come back with a clear mind.  

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #398340 by garyrhook
Put the camera down and walk away.

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #398364 by Connie K Photos
I go for a run or anything that get's my blood flowing and oxygen to my brain boosted.  Then come back, take a shower.  If you haven't tried meditating, you should try it.  I just started this about a year ago and it works to clear your mind and reset your balance. 

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #398395 by effron
I never had any talent or creativity, so I don't ever notice a "drain". Simply, you need to change what you're doing. None of your "photos not looking the way you want" isn't a description of your problem, what have you been doing that has obviously bored you? Try something new and challenging.....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #398455 by Sue Bidwell

Connie K Photos wrote: I go for a run or anything that get's my blood flowing and oxygen to my brain boosted.  Then come back, take a shower.  If you haven't tried meditating, you should try it.  I just started this about a year ago and it works to clear your mind and reset your balance. 

:agree: I do the same thing, go for a nice long walk and that will usually do the trick.  

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #398472 by Adrian Footman
+1 exercise is your friend

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #398536 by Joves
Personally I do not even think about shooting, and watch the world go by. Or watch how what is around me changes as the sun moves. I still have my camera, but I am not worried about using it. If you think about shooting too much, then it becomes more of a chore, than a pleasure. I have learned that while I have my camera with me all the time, I am never worried about using it. Works for me.

9 years 7 months ago #398548 by Hassner
Every person's source of inspiration to get their creative juices flowing is different. I like to look at the old masters paintings, music videos from the '80's and art movies from any era. I am sure for some it might be exercise, some meditation, some music. What I do know is that when I started looking at other photographers work, my creativity took a dive. One should not compare your work with others.

This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
No one kicks up there feet next to the water cooler better than this person.  Top poster - LoungeLounge Guru
Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #398593 by W Cage

Connie K Photos wrote: I go for a run or anything that get's my blood flowing and oxygen to my brain boosted.  Then come back, take a shower.  If you haven't tried meditating, you should try it.  I just started this about a year ago and it works to clear your mind and reset your balance. 

:goodpost:   get the flow going!

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #398739 by Tuscan Muse
As everyone has said, put the camera down for just a bit AND don't fell guilty about it.  Being blocked is a part of the creative process.  Hassner's advice is very wise.  Comparison is an act of violence against yourself!
9 years 7 months ago #398800 by Ben Vanderbilt
:agree:  no shame in that, we all have been there.  When it's time to recharge, unplug, recharge and come back.

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #398961 by Roy Wilson

:agree:     +1  

Canon 5D Mark II, 30D, 40D, 50 1.2L, 16-35 2.8L Mark II, 24-105 4L IS, 24-70 2.8L, 70-200 2.8L IS, 85 1.8, 4 x 580 EX(II)
Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #399005 by Kenta
I've unplugged from photography for a couple weeks before and it was what I needed

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024