Photography interns

9 years 7 months ago #398302 by Tony Imaging
Well that's a first.  I just got a call from someone asking if I do internships.  Intern is basically an assistant that works for free correct? 

Anything I need to know about having an intern? 

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #398343 by garyrhook
Insurance. A legal agreement specifying the roles of, and benefits to, all parties.

And it's not really "unpaid" as you will be offering mentoring and training as compensation. Which makes it a growth opportunity for you to improve your educational skills.

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #398358 by Connie K Photos
:agree:   possible headache if it goes like it did for a friend of mine.  She had 'intern' who stole lighting equipment from her studio, but could never prove it.  No one else had access to her studio. 

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #398447 by Sue Bidwell
Completely depends on the individual, some will just follow you around like a sponge and getting as much information from you with no cost to you.  Others will require pay, but very low to offset the knowledge they pick up from you.    

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #398462 by Ben Vanderbilt
Intern = slave labor :rofl:

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #398478 by icepics
It's not having an assistant as much as a learning/teaching situation. There would probably be an expectation that they'll work alongside you and you'll be providing on the job training.

Are there any local business resources in your area that could give you suggestions or ideas about working with interns?

If you try this I'd get it in writing, you could get someone who takes direction well and can do some assisting duties, or someone who needs more guidance (I'd be prepared for what to do in case the person doesn't work out for some reason).

Sharon
Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #398531 by Joves
Also keep in mind that there are a few in Congress wanting to change the rules on internship. As it stands now whether it is paid, or not is up to the two parties. Some in Congress want to make it where they are all paid positions. Now of course if they do pass such a law, they will be the only ones exempt from it. Not that I am at all cynical about the government. :P

9 years 7 months ago #398551 by Hassner
In South Africa they are called assistants and they do get paid, even if it is minimum pay.

Some assistants are professional long term assistants with no calling to be a photographer, but they are paid a lot more. Later they know you so well, by the time you ask to give you another lens, they already have the right one in their hands.

Some might be very creative, but more of a nuisance than an asset as assistant.

This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
No one kicks up there feet next to the water cooler better than this person.  Top poster - LoungeLounge Guru
Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #398568 by Pettigrew
Same here, it's just a fancy way of saying "assistant".  

Canon EOS 7D SLR | XT W/18-55 Kit Lens | Canon 50mm 1.8 | Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 | Canon 28-105mm | Canon 75-300mm | Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro | Canon 100-400
Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #401154 by Tony Imaging

Joves wrote: Also keep in mind that there are a few in Congress wanting to change the rules on internship. As it stands now whether it is paid, or not is up to the two parties. Some in Congress want to make it where they are all paid positions. Now of course if they do pass such a law, they will be the only ones exempt from it. Not that I am at all cynical about the government. :P

Great, congress sticking their nose more into our businesses!  

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024