Would you partner with another photographer on a studio?

9 years 7 months ago #398316 by Cathy Kadolph
So another photographer and I, who I have known for about 4 months have started talking about going in halves on a studio here.  Neither of use need it full time and plan to mark off days to split the time.  Seems like it could work, but who knows.  This is all new to me and before spending any money with a lawyer for a contract, I wanted to see if anyone has gone in on a studio with another photographer?  Anything you could share that I need to be aware of?  Add to the contract? 

Thank you a head of time! 

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once you grow up." Pablo Picasso
Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #398324 by Stealthy Ninja
I work with another guy all the time. Basically on everything.

Be warned though. If anything goes wrong it can ruin friendships.
9 years 7 months ago #398330 by Chris Grimm
Make sure you have a clear contract.  Will there be any common gear that both of you will use?  

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #398336 by garyrhook
I just saw an article go by that mentioned sharing studio space with 1 or more other photographers. Seems a good idea if you need space.

+1 on a good contract drawn up by a lawyer. Expense, investment costs, responsibilities, ownership, dissolution, everything A to Z. You may also need the help of a CPA to cover managing and reporting expenses. And be sure that no one cheats on that part.

And to answer your question, yes, I would partner. Per the above, especially if it were a friend.

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #398396 by effron
Been there, done that and NO would be my answer......:(

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #398454 by Tim Burg

effron wrote: Been there, done that and NO would be my answer......:(

Can I ask about your (perceived) bad experience?  I have not 2, but 3 friends who share a common studio space and they have been sharing this space for just about 4 years with no problems.  They actually asked if I wanted to come in on the space a couple months ago.  Tempting.  

Photo Comments
9 years 6 months ago #399044 by W Cage
Ideally, No.  To much could go wrong. 

Photo Comments
9 years 6 months ago #399065 by effron

Tim Burg wrote:

Can I ask about your (perceived) bad experience?  I have not 2, but 3 friends who share a common studio space and they have been sharing this space for just about 4 years with no problems.  They actually asked if I wanted to come in on the space a couple months ago.  Tempting.  

Tried it twice years ago, a very good friend and a little later with a serious love interest (girlfriend) and neither time did it work out. Nothing nasty or ugly, just wore us down. The difference between a business and a hobby is night from day, simply. Doing anything for a living can be tough, stressful and WILL wear on relationships. There is also a reason a ship only has one captain.....:(

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
9 years 6 months ago #399230 by Stealthy Ninja

effron wrote:

Tim Burg wrote:

Tried it twice years ago, a very good friend and a little later with a serious love interest (girlfriend) and neither time did it work out. Nothing nasty or ugly, just wore us down. The difference between a business and a hobby is night from day, simply. Doing anything for a living can be tough, stressful and WILL wear on relationships. There is also a reason a ship only has one captain.....:(

Nikon users are hard to live with you see. :P
The following user(s) said Thank You: [email protected]
9 years 6 months ago #399314 by Zeberk

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

effron wrote:

Tim Burg wrote:

Nikon users are hard to live with you see. :P

Hey!  :watching:

Photo Comments
9 years 6 months ago #399504 by Ben Vanderbilt
If I didn't need too, no.  That's just a recipe of incident, if you ask for my 2 cents.

Photo Comments
9 years 6 months ago #399625 by icepics
I don't know if you've ever shared office space or anything to have an idea what it might be like. I'd be concerned about it being with someone you've only known for 4 months, I don't know if you could know someone well enough in that amount of time to know for sure what you might be dealing with.

I agree about having a contract/agreement in writing, although I'm not sure how you'd cover every possible circumstance that could happen. You don't want situations like the other person dropping out and you're left with owing full rent, or coming in and the studio isn't ready to use because they left their belongings all over the place, etc.

I think if I tried it I'd make it a short term lease at first and extend it later on if things are going well, I wouldn't want to be locked into something and then be stuck with problems.

Sharon
Photo Comments
9 years 6 months ago #399730 by Trisha.M
Not if I didn't have too! 

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024