Pros and cons of using Nikon glass on Sony A7s

9 years 6 months ago #399322 by One Wish
Other than autofocus are there any other cons with using Nikon glass on a Sony A7s?  I have not bought the camera yet.  Actually, is there a comparable camera to the A7s, that has an adapter available that will accept Nikon glass and the autofocus will work? 

Photo Comments
9 years 6 months ago #399384 by garyrhook
Um, a Nikon?  Which uses a Sony sensor?

Past that, define "comparable'? What precisely are you looking for, feature-wise?

Photo Comments
9 years 6 months ago #399386 by One Wish
I currently own Nikon bodies, which of course use Nikon glass.  I would like to pick up a mirrorless camera that shoots video, the A7s does that.  Just as my post was asking, I'm looking to see if there are any cameras like the A7s, that might have adapters that would permit the use of Nikon glass and still allow full function of the autofocus system.  

Photo Comments
9 years 6 months ago #399403 by garyrhook
I found this with a quick google:

briansmith.com/sony-a7-a7r-lens-mount-adapters/

There's a moderator here that uses an A7 (of some flavor), and who may be able to weigh in on the autofocus issue. I think the answer is, "no".

Another frequent poster uses a Oly mirrorless and produces some very nice shots with its native glass.

I think if you want to go mirrorless you have to be willing to either go manual, or go native. I hope that others here will clarify and correct.

Photo Comments
9 years 6 months ago #399521 by Stealthy Ninja
Only Canon and Sony glass have adapters that can use AF on the A7.
9 years 6 months ago #399624 by Tim Dordeck

Stealthy Ninja wrote: Only Canon and Sony glass have adapters that can use AF on the A7.

Interesting, I wonder why Nikon is snoozing in this department or what makes their electronics so different?

Photo Comments
9 years 6 months ago #399732 by garyrhook

Tim Dordeck wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote: Only Canon and Sony glass have adapters that can use AF on the A7.

Interesting, I wonder why Nikon is snoozing in this department or what makes their electronics so different?

Snoozing? The first question is, is there a market? I'll also point out that it's currently possible to use Nikon glass on Canon bodies, but not the other way around. It's about the physical configuration, not the electronics, apparently.

Photo Comments
9 years 6 months ago #399964 by Moe

garyrhook wrote:

Tim Dordeck wrote:

Snoozing? The first question is, is there a market? I'll also point out that it's currently possible to use Nikon glass on Canon bodies, but not the other way around. It's about the physical configuration, not the electronics, apparently.

Market for mirrorless?  Hell yes!  :beerbang:

Photo Comments
9 years 6 months ago #399983 by Stealthy Ninja

garyrhook wrote:

Tim Dordeck wrote:

Probably the Canon has a shorter flange distance or whatever it is.  Electronics would be the problem with AF system in adapters for the A7 range.  Nikon don't make adapters for this and neither do Sony.  Metabones is the people who make the AF adapters for Canon to A7.  I assume they can't do it with Nikon because of some restrictions or whatever, not sure.
9 years 6 months ago #400005 by garyrhook

Moe wrote:

garyrhook wrote:

Tim Dordeck wrote:

Market for mirrorless?  Hell yes!  :beerbang:

Huh. Did you actually read what I wrote?

The issue I was focusing on was Nikon putting their lenses on any other body. Mirrorless or not is irrelevant to that question. And whether you think mirrorless is worth raising a glass to, or not, if there are physical restrictions that keep an adapter happening, well, then it's just not going to happen. I found a reference to an article on DPreview that discusses this issue. It sounds like its simply not possible to put Nikon glass anywhere else.

If the A7 is so all-fired wonderful, I'm sure their glass is just fine.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024